“Rudimentary, but functional”

Hotel The Raj at New Delhi Railway Station
Ranked #349 of 779 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 6 July 2014

With a few minor upgrades this could move from an average to good hotel. Bit disappointed in the quality of cleaning services, as the shower walls haven't been scrubbed in years. The air conditioner in the dining room and reception were not working, there were no knobs on the air conditioner in the room, and during our three day stay there were no attempts at any servicing of the room....so I suppose it moves from average to poor now...sorry.....it is in a good spot though close to New Delhi railway ststion

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank NathalieAndAndrew

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am a 20 year old Australian who was travelling to New Delhi alone for the first time and in all honesty I wasn't too impressed with the service,

When I got to the hotel it was 2 am in the morning and one of the men insisted on bringing my bag up to the room - less than 20 metres away up an elevator might I add which I was fine with considering I had been at airports all day until the man asked me for money for bringing my bag up. I get that tipping seems to be a thing in India - I just felt that it was really rude considering the time and the fact that he carried it up an elevator.

Due to thee area that the hotel was in, I didn't really have a choice for food for dinner other than eating at the kitchen at the hotel. The food was extremely average and I was really worried about getting sick from the food, I ate dinner here every night and unfortunately on my last night I ate Rogan josh that was cooked in the kitchen and I got really sick with Delhi Belly... Still even 8 days later I am still really sick and it ruined the rest of my holiday.

Also, each day due worries about being a single traveller, I ordered taxis from the hotel to drive me around everyday and paid about 6500-8500 rupees per day, Because of the fact I had the same driver for 2 days in a row he told me that the reason it was more expensive was because the hotel was taking a cut out of the fee for the booking so effectively I was paying the hotel a tip and well as for the taxi fair- not cool.

ESPECIALLY when one day I decided to go to Rishikesh which was a great day despite the fact that I paid for an air-conditioned car. The 19 year old driver 'Ram' did not use the air-conditioning once during the 14 hours of driving (7 hours each way because of crazy Indian traffic) and it was a 48 degree day! Also the car broke down 4 times, like literally 3 on the way there once on the way back to the point where he had to push the car off the road and use my water all 4 times to put into the car.

Also, and what disgusted me the most is the fact that I told him I was married and he still kept trying to hold my hand! At one point he actually pulled the car over and tried to kiss me and I went crazy and started screaming at him! I was meant to get back to the hotel around 7pm that night at 10pm I still wasn't back. The hotel called Ram on his mobile and he screened the call at first and when they rung back I said who is it and he said the hotel and finally he picked up and passed me to the phone to which I said I was still alive. When I got back to the hotel I wanted to complain about the treatment that day and what had happened but I just got a quick greeting and they went back to doing their thing - no one wanted to listen...

I honestly feel that when you are travelling alone and being a 20 year old Australian female you expect a bit more than this. I hate being screwed over money wise and I really hate the fact that I got sick off the food - Delhi belly is awful and I really wish I hadn't eaten the food but because of being located in a scary part of New Delhi I was told not to go out at night just in case something bad happened. I overheard a number of others staying at the hotel complaining about the food because the waiter didn't speak English and the orders kept being wrong.

the Room itself in the hotel was okay despite the fact there wasn't any toilet paper or towels etc. But the elevator actually broke the day after I got there which made life in 50 degree heat even worse. And I swear the mattress was made of stone.

I probably would say stay somewhere much nice - India is a cheap place so you can do a lot nicer than this on a budget

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
11  Thank Rachelbarrar
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay with your family or business purposes. Reception and other staff is very cordial and hospitality is wonderful. Rooms are clean and well decorated. Food was very good; quality and taste wise. I recommend to choose it on your next visit. It's complete value for money.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Desh D
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It was nice and.homely experience to be here,the staff and hospitality is suprab.specialy the manager like.mr Vino Thanks and Mr Veer singh has such a cooperative behaviour never experience or accepted from delhi.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank skdubey007
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I booked this hotel online with little apprehension because i haven't been in this area before. When i checked in, i found this hotel very good. Staff is very helping and friendly. Rooms are clean, they have complementary breakfast, free WiFi. I had to visit Delhi three times during my stay in India and i returned to same hotel because i like it. I recommend this to all travelers because you won't find this kind of accommodation in this price range new New Delhi Railway Station.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle are good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank HotelReviews2014
Reviewed 28 April 2014

found the hotel staff very helpful,rooms were clean,prices very good great value for your money,so good came back again..!!!even there cab drivers were very good and not very exspensive,great value for your money

Room Tip: both times had different rooms & good sleep
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Just stayed two nights at the raj hotel and was very impressed.From the minute I booked they were helpfull.They warned me about all the scams at railway station and got me picked up for a very cheap price. THe hotel was clean and the room was good. clean beds shower area nice flat screen tv fridge .Give this hotel a try

• Stayed: April 2014