All reviewsrooftop restaurantmain bazaarnew delhi railway stationmr abhishekrk ashrambudget hotelhot watertravel deskhotel is locatedpaharganj areanice hotelwalking distancefamily staytoilet paperrooms are cleanthe heart of the cityconnaught place
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This hotel was definitely an oasis in the bustle of Delhi. Our stay here was very enjoyable, although my family and I couldn't visit the rooftop restaurant because of the cold. During our stay here my Mother and Brother became very ill, and the hotel took very good care of them, even taking them to the doctor.

All in all, it's a hotel I would most definitely stay at again. They were very accommodating and trustworthy. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
vijay430, Owner at Hotel Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2016

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at "Hotel Shelton" and for taking out time for such a authentic review.
We strive to customize the experience of each guests and are delighted that our efforts made your stay memorable.

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I live for 4 days, the hotel service is very good, the staff is very nice, room is very clean, food is very nice,especially chicken sizzler,if next time to delhi , I will choose this hotel again. The hotel is worth to live

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I checked in without incident and received welcome drinks. I have very high standards for cleanliness, and was impressed with the hotel. It's modern and clean, and offered some of the nicest bathrooms I saw in India, with good water pressure and very hot showers. The rooms are nicely designed and very well maintained. The only issue with the hotel is that the location is a little crowded but great to have a evening walk around the market. There are definitely nicer areas of Delhi, but for the price point I have no complaints. Overall, this hotel is an excellent value for the money and I'd recommend it to my own friends without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tillinfinity

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Hotel shelton lived up to its reviews, stayed here for 3 days from 29th JAN, i got free upgrade after arrival ( ie at 2 AM in morning) i blocked the room by email and a lil bit skeptical what if i didnt get room after arrival thats too early in morning) however Vijay and other manager took follow up and assured that my room is blocked. Room was amazing at throw away price, walking distance from NDLS and is in main market, the roof top restaurant is great and provide quality food and yes food cost is reasonable, free wi-fi, LCD, hot water in chilly winter was a blessing, entire staff was very courteous. If you are new and not sure how to access delhi they guide you with smile, Vijay is very talkative and open for suggestions so you can feel free to tell him your point of view which is very rare now a days. I recommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for reasonable rates with fantastic rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 February 2014

though when we returned to Delhi, we looked for something else.

This was the first hotel we stayed at in India. I chose it because of its good reviews on TA. They very efficiently answered my emails about the price and also agreed to send a taxi to meet us at the airport. The room was decent, though for our family of four it was a bit small, but that’s because we had so many people. The guy at reception very nicely gave us two bottles of soda as a welcome.

The staff was courteous and efficient, the room had a decent amount of furniture, the bathroom was standard for India this budget range – toilet, shower, sink in one area.

In retrospect, this is a good hotel, but I think we paid too much at the time. We paid 1800 rupees per night for four people. One thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was the fact that the checkout guy seemed to feel that we should have paid more – we negotiated the room rate online and I merely accepted what the person said was the price, I didn’t bargain down at all. So, as I was checking out, what the guy did was charge “tax”, which effectively pushed up the price of the room by 15% or so. This was the only hotel on our five week trip in India that did this. Since it was the first hotel in India for us, I let it slide. But this is just a quibble about money – they continued to be courteous, sending up another complementary bottle of soda on our last day, probably while they giggled about extracting an extra 15% out of me.

I would come back to this hotel if it were about 200-400 rupees cheaper. I walked about the Pahar Ganj area of Delhi at the end of our trip inquiring about room prices, and based on 6-7 inquiries and room viewings determine that 1400 rupees (in late December) would be an appropriate rate.

=============================
Background of my trip through India: my wife and I traveled with our two kids, ages 6 & 7, through India for five weeks in Dec 2013/Jan 2014. On two legs of our trip we hired a car and driver, and took trains and taxis for the other parts of the trip. We are Americans, but live outside of the US in a third world country. When looking for a hotel, cleanliness is a prime consideration for us, followed by location and price. I always appreciate a place that appears to have friendly and responsive management. We consider ourselves to be ‘budget travelers’, but now that we have kids and are more fastidious about cleanliness, we have upped the budget a bit and no longer go for the absolute cheapest option that Lonely Planet and/or Trip Advisor have to offer.

On our trip through Rajasthan, we were rather cold during the evenings and found rooftop/outdoor restaurants to be often to chilly to eat in. Not that it is so incredibly cold in Rajasthan, but we live in a hot climate, so we have become unaccustomed to it being so cold.

When we were with a car and driver, we stayed at hotels for 1-2 night in each city, and the hotel was chosen for us by the tour agency, so we were not aware of the price of the room. However, the quality of the rooms was comparable to what we would have chosen anyways. To give you an idea of our budgetary considerations, in Delhi, Goa, and Mumbai, we were paying about 2000-2900 rupees per night for our family of four, often in a room with one large bed, or a medium size bed with a mattress on the floor, or sometimes three twin-sized beds. Outside of these cities, this type of room seemed to be priced at 1500-2000.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family