“Deserted and dreadful”
Review of Hotel Pearl Plaza

Hotel Pearl Plaza
Ranked #336 of 727 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I am a very seasoned backpacker and used to staying in budget accommodation in India and all over Asia. I booked Pearl Plaza through laterooms.com as a treat for the first night of my trip and given the rating and price of the hotel, I was expecting a lot more. What distressed me about my one night stay here was how appallingly over-priced it was (this low level of comfort is common but a fraction of the cost) and also that I was the only visitor when I stayed there, which as a sole female traveller was rather off-putting when the (many) Indian gents that ran the hotel watched my every move and even came up to my room together unexpectedly to 'offer me a beer'. Whilst my booking included breakfast, it required a long dialogue to secure it and resulted in one of the hotel boys having to go outside to buy me a chai and dodgy omelette from a street seller. The room was dreadful. Despite being completely empty, I was given a cell-like room with no windows, ripped sheets and a hard bed. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank SFox78

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Its a very average hotel in a very crowded locality of Paharganj. Rooms are tiny with hardly any place to move around. There is a lot of noise from the corridors which hardly makes the stay comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ambdxt
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We friends had gone to Delhi for F1 and booked the hotel almost couple of months back. I think, considering the property, we paid really high. We had reached hotel at around 10.30 (check in was at 12). They could not provide us a room as they claimed that the hotel was full. We had kept our luggage with reception and went to watch the F1. We had told them to transfer our luggage to our room, once the room was available. We reached back hotel at 8.30 P.M. and to our surprise the luggage was still at the reception (not even in luggage room). They had not transferred to our room as they had claimed that the rooms are not available. We told him that we had booked our room almost 2 months back. He could not understand. The reception told us that they will shift us to similar property. However, we were not ready to shift. After 15 minutes they arranged a room for us.

The people were really bad and could not have imagined ever in my life. A worst experience ever. The breakfast choices were limited. Generally, the experience has been that the breakfast is unlimited; however, here the breakfast was limited. We can choose a breakfast item out of 2-3 options along with tea/coffee.

There are no activity centers for KIDS.

Overall, the quality of room was ok, but the people were pathetic and overpriced hotel. Not recommended to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sameermota
Reviewed 19 October 2011

If your looking for a safe place to leave your bags and sleep at night THIS IS IT!!! The Pearl Plaza is walking distances to ATMs, restaurants, bars and the market. Your given a nice strong lock to lock your room.

We had one room with 2 twin sized beds for 900 rupees (around $19.00). We had to call down for hot water and it was available within 15 minutes. The bathroom had a western toilet, they supplied toilet paper but no other toiletries. Bring toilet paper not available in most public Indian bathrooms.

I stayed in 5 different hotels in India if your fussy about your pillow bring one-they all seemed to hard. Another common thing I saw was stained but clean sheets. Room also had ceiling fan & A/C

Remember to lock your door! If you order room service they will knock & walk in at the same time-instead of waiting for you to open the door.

Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Dehli is so noise with it's endless honking....don't get a room on the lobby level.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Stayed in Pearl Plaza in February 2011 for 3 nights while in Delhi. I travel a lot and frequently stay in hostels and budget accommodation - but this hotel is one of the worst experiences so far.
We arrived in Delhi early at night (about 2 am) and hotel´s driver met us at the airport. That was a very nice beginning. Upon arrival at hotel we found staff sleeping on the floor at the so-called lobby. It hardly looked the same lobby that´s shown on their web-site. But that was still OK, no worries. The problem was the room.
Our room was spacious and looked well-furnished (LCD TV on the wall, nice bed-covers). But it was extremely dirty. It was definitely not cleaned for longer period of time - including after previous guest. There were rolls of dust on the floor, the toilet bowl was stained with somebody´s pee with yellow liquid inside, the shower dripped, there was dirty paper on the WC floor, trash-bin was still full of trash etc. We checked the bed-linen and these were very dirty and stained, there was hair on the sheets - the linen looked like it was used and left unwashed. We complained the hotel staff about the problems with the rooms and politely asked to clean the room or give us another one. They were sleepy and didn´t bother too much, promising to clean in the morning. We demanded the manager (I guess he was the manager - he was the one in reception) to check the room and after that one guy cleaned the room. We asked for new sheets as well and were firstly said there´re no clean ones in the hotel. Finally the found some new bed-clothing - but it didn´t look promising as well. Finally we slept all three nights fully dressed. And all this happened in the middle of the nights - we haven´t slept for more than 24 hours and were expecting nice rest before exploring the city.
After getting our room cleaned we planned to take a shower - but no hot water was provided. Staff said it was due to late hours - but there was never any drop of hot water during our stay - was only cold and ice-cold. So we just showered in cold water.
The room itself was very cold. I know that in February nights in Delhi are not warmest ones and we were prepared with warm underclothing and wool socks - but this was just too cold, like staying outside. I understand that there could not be heating in India - but there were no warm blankets as well. There were only two thin ones and we were said they don´t have additional ones to give us. They didn´t clean the room any more during our stay and we had to ask the reception even a roll of toilet paper.
The breakfast was served in our room - we had omelette, tea and toast for breakfast.
We liked the neighbourhood - it was crazy and noisy and smelly - but it was fun and very Indian. There´re small markets near the hotel were one could buy snacks and drinks. A money-changer was right opposite the hotel. There´s a short walk / even more short drive from the hotel to the railway station. Don´t ask the hotel to arrange a railway station drop-off for you - the price is absolutely unfair. We asked the staff if we could find a rickshaw at 5AM and were suggested to take a taxi as there could be shortage of rickshaws at that time. So we asked for a taxi - but received a hotel driver for horrific price. As we were really tired of arguing and were in a hurry to catch our train we used the service. Actually there were plenty of rickshaws on the street.

In general that was very bad hotel experience. We were really considering moving to another place - but we booked through HotelClub and the full fare was pre-paid. This was the first time ever I considered changing a hotel.

I would be satisfied if I paid 10-15 USD for night. We paid 42. And that was a real rip-off for the quality received - a dirty room without hot water. Totally overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JullyTheTraveller
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I love this place so much. Yes, maybe if you don't like noise, or a club feel, then no, you won't like it. Same if you don't like current music. I've been going here since I was little, I love the food, and the place itself. Definetely a must see for teen and young adults. Good service.. a littly pricy, but worth it.pleasure to be there

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Stayed in this hotel with family for 3 days. We made a booking for double bed room via e-mail & got their confirmation, but surprisingly they provided us with a large family room on arrival, as double bed room was not available on that day. Rooms were clean enough. Thanx to Mr. Tegchand, the courteous manager of the hotel. He was always available for service. Location is good, within 5-10 minutes walk from RK Mission marg Metro station. It is situated in Paharganj, but not in the busy market area, so quiet place to stay. Restaurant is on the roof top of the hotel, room service is available. We traveled with our 3 yr old son, and foods were made as per our order. We had to catch the early morning train for Agra from N Delhi station. Location proved to be very helpful, as it takes 5-10 minutes by rickshaw to reach the station. We hired the car from the hotel at very competitive rate for Delhi sight seeing. By mistake I left my purse to the car, and even didn't notice it. Got a call from the driver & he returned it intact. Really helpful & reliable staff. Surely will stay in this hotel during my next trip to New Delhi. Room Rates were on little bit of higher side, but really it is value for money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family