“sleep well, will go back there”
Review of Hotel Pearl Plaza

Hotel Pearl Plaza
Ranked #333 of 721 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 3 December 2013

hotel is very clean, staff are friendly, hot shower is good, reasonable price, i will definitely go back with them, they dont have restaurant with them, they bring food from outside, but foods are disguisting..! over all go and stay but dont eat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bishnupandey

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Although feeling initially basic on arrival in New Delhi, the Pearl Plaza serves it's purpose well. Rooms are clean and tidy, soap, towels and toilet rolls are provided. Hot water can be temperamental, but this is a normal occurance in India, so no big deal! A/C is activated from the front desk, so make sure that you make friends with the guys on the desk!
Staff very friendly and helpful throughout and can supply drinking water etc.
The easy access roof (restaurant in the dry season) is good to watch the kite flyers.

Room Tip: Bigger rooms and higher floors have windows...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2012

For those of you unfamiliar with the Pahar Ganj, brace yourselves. It's a dusty, chaotic, busy at all times, smelly at all times, and just overall grungy area across the street from the New Delhi train station. It's geared towards backpackers and cheap Indian tourists, as no respectable hotel would be located here. Still, it's possible to get everything you need within a five minute walk - not a bad place to hunker down for a few days if you're on a budget in a place that resembles a scene from the desert towns in Stay Wars...

As with everything in India, your experience will come down to expectations. If you fly into Delhi's capital expecting something formal or relaxing, then you are bound to be disappointed. For me however, the Pearl Plaza represented a beacon of calm after a few weeks of chaos on the road.

Staff welcomed us, and were really hell-bent on giving us a good time. They'd knock several times in the morning and evening with free tea/coffee, and would arrange for omlettes to be delivered (though this must be from the other side of the city given how long it took to arrive).

It is a bit expensive for a typical budget hotel, but you do get some quieter rooms than normal for the area. Plus, the rooms are pretty big, have cable TV, and the showers had hot water. If you upgrade to the nicer rooms, then the bathroom is actually quite nice.

Don't come expecting a mid-range hotel. This is really more like the best of a budget hotel. The staff were friendly enough to mail my postcards when I was running late to the airport, and always greeted us with a smile.

I came back for a repeat stay before flying out of Delhi, and will continue to use this when I need a budget hotel in New Delhi.

As a tip, make sure that the rikshaw drops you off at the hotel entrance when you arrive, as it can be a bit tricky to find the first time. If memory serves me correctly, say "Pahar Ganj. Main Bazaar and Chunna Mandi", but check again since I last stayed in April 2011.

As a random side note, there are two Philadelphia Eagles floormats in the hotel. I have no idea how the heck they got there, but they made me laugh every time. I hated the Ganj so much when I was there, but really miss it now.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vinay R
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I am a very seasoned backpacker and used to staying in budget accommodation in India and all over Asia. I booked Pearl Plaza through laterooms.com as a treat for the first night of my trip and given the rating and price of the hotel, I was expecting a lot more. What distressed me about my one night stay here was how appallingly over-priced it was (this low level of comfort is common but a fraction of the cost) and also that I was the only visitor when I stayed there, which as a sole female traveller was rather off-putting when the (many) Indian gents that ran the hotel watched my every move and even came up to my room together unexpectedly to 'offer me a beer'. Whilst my booking included breakfast, it required a long dialogue to secure it and resulted in one of the hotel boys having to go outside to buy me a chai and dodgy omelette from a street seller. The room was dreadful. Despite being completely empty, I was given a cell-like room with no windows, ripped sheets and a hard bed. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank SFox78
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Its a very average hotel in a very crowded locality of Paharganj. Rooms are tiny with hardly any place to move around. There is a lot of noise from the corridors which hardly makes the stay comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ambdxt
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We friends had gone to Delhi for F1 and booked the hotel almost couple of months back. I think, considering the property, we paid really high. We had reached hotel at around 10.30 (check in was at 12). They could not provide us a room as they claimed that the hotel was full. We had kept our luggage with reception and went to watch the F1. We had told them to transfer our luggage to our room, once the room was available. We reached back hotel at 8.30 P.M. and to our surprise the luggage was still at the reception (not even in luggage room). They had not transferred to our room as they had claimed that the rooms are not available. We told him that we had booked our room almost 2 months back. He could not understand. The reception told us that they will shift us to similar property. However, we were not ready to shift. After 15 minutes they arranged a room for us.

The people were really bad and could not have imagined ever in my life. A worst experience ever. The breakfast choices were limited. Generally, the experience has been that the breakfast is unlimited; however, here the breakfast was limited. We can choose a breakfast item out of 2-3 options along with tea/coffee.

There are no activity centers for KIDS.

Overall, the quality of room was ok, but the people were pathetic and overpriced hotel. Not recommended to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sameermota
Reviewed 19 October 2011

If your looking for a safe place to leave your bags and sleep at night THIS IS IT!!! The Pearl Plaza is walking distances to ATMs, restaurants, bars and the market. Your given a nice strong lock to lock your room.

We had one room with 2 twin sized beds for 900 rupees (around $19.00). We had to call down for hot water and it was available within 15 minutes. The bathroom had a western toilet, they supplied toilet paper but no other toiletries. Bring toilet paper not available in most public Indian bathrooms.

I stayed in 5 different hotels in India if your fussy about your pillow bring one-they all seemed to hard. Another common thing I saw was stained but clean sheets. Room also had ceiling fan & A/C

Remember to lock your door! If you order room service they will knock & walk in at the same time-instead of waiting for you to open the door.

Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Dehli is so noise with it's endless honking....don't get a room on the lobby level.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo