“Superb host” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Saubhag Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Saubhag Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #36 of 1,049 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Superb host”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

What a way to start my first visit to India, Meera was a superb host, taking us sightseeing and shopping and looking after us in an exceptional way. Our room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Meera, her husband and son and staff were very friendly and made us extremely welcome. So much better than an impersonal city hotel. If I ever go back to Delhi this will be where I will stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank patrick b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Some basics first so you'll appreciate that staying in a B and B does not mean compromising on facilities. Our room on the second floor was large, had a comfortable 6 foot double bed, loads of luggage space, ceiling fan, a/c, safe, good double glazing, en-suite with huge shower and loads of hot water, toiletries, hairdryer...... Outside our room was a lounge area with a library and computer terminals, though we used the wifi signal which was good throughout the house. Oh, and there was a kitchen too with a large fridge and plentiful boiled water. Meera is super-welcoming and takes delight in helping her guests with anything, is a mine of information and is basically a one woman campaign against tourists being ripped off. It was a pleasure seeing her in action setting up an excursion for the local kids. The food her team produces is outstanding. Knowing that we'd mainly be staying in hotels and subject to their usual bland offerings, we refused to go out for dinner on either of the 2 nights of our stay! The lunch-time aloo paratha with extra chillies and a squash curry was one of the highlights of our trip. And just thinking about the paratha topped with a fried egg with tomatoes and chillies for breakfast is making me hungry right now. You can't do better, book now!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank helenc1
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

The afternoon of our arrival, after a long nap that Meera insisted we take, she took us to the local market, picked out kurtas for me, bought us samosa, And then we went to a cultural dance show, and to the Sikh temple to watch them feed some 8000 people (daily!!! With volunteers!!!) The room is very generous, and includes a shared living space complete with lounge, TV and computers. The bathroom is huge.

We spent 3 nights with Meera and her family - she insisted we have dinner with them, at no charge! She is a great cook, and it was a pleasure at the end of a full day to relax "at home". Meera is very warm, engaging and fabulously generous - she helps out her staff financially, takes local children on excursions, and is all that one would aspire to be! We felt like dear friends when we had to leave.

My grown daughter traveled with us but had to return a week earlier. She came down with Delhi bely, and I was so happy to know that she was at Meera's, who I knew would do whatever was necessary for her.

This is a wonderful place to stay -- unless you want to be in the city center. Saubhag is in a lovely residential neighborhood -- so peaceful and quiet. It, and Meera and family, is an absolute gem!!!

Room Tip: Meera will choose the best one for you!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gigi48503
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

It has taken me almost one month to process my wonderful tour of Northern India/Nepal. At the end of the two week tour my friend and I added four extra days at Saubhag. We were very proud to think we were able to make all our own arrangements. Ha ha. We couldn't have done it without the incomparable Meera Dass. ALL the previous 5 star reviews are accurate. Every word and every description. Perfect. I will add that the location is very pleasant across from a small park. The drivers that Meera arranged for us were terrific. Ravi spoke English well and gave good input. Wonderful Mr. Singh is a gentleman with enough English to transport you to any place in town. Ask him to take you to the Sikh temple. Airport transport - smooth. Every morning we ordered just about anything we wanted for breakfast and we also ate three nights at the Saubag-- delicious, fresh and interesting meals. This was so helpful after a long day of sightseeing and shopping. Meera even gave us a cooking lesson (chicken curry). There are free computers available and lots of shopping tips and advice on where to go. Don't miss the Ghandi Museum. If you desire time in Delhi without the hurly- burly of a tour, it magically becomes possible with the aid of Meera and her very articulate and lovely family. Her staff are gentle and helpful and all of them at Dass & Company made our vacation better than we ever thought possible. Delhi soon became our favorite city thanks to all of them. Kudos to a remarkable haven and its very remarkable owner. PS. It would be very appropriate for a solo female traveler.

Room Tip: they are all good. Bathrooms really large and comfortable. Lots of hot water.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anthony M
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was my first ever visit to India. How lucky was I, and my wife, to have Saubhag as our first stay. We were meeting there two others in our small group who were to travel around India, one of whom was a seasoned traveller to India and had used Meera's a number of times. I had no idea what to expect as we were driven through the neighbourhood streets by the car that collected us from the airport. What a lovely greeting upon arrival, as though we were old friends. A cool refreshing drink first then Meera showed us our room; having heard that I was interested in birds and would be bird watching in India, Meera had put me in the first floor front room, with balcony overlooking the small garden, trees, and park opposite, and lots of birds!
Meera was a delightful hostess, providing wonderful food, help advice and guidance (sorted me out a suitable bag when it was clear we needed another bag for our cabin luggage on our later internal flight), and entertained us with tales of their past, their family, their travels, etc.
Sadly we were only staying at Saubhag for two nights, so our stay was all too short. Knowing that we were then travelling by overnight sleeper train from Delhi to Katni, Meera saw us off with packed meals for each of us for our journey.
I hope I may have the opportunity to stay again, for longer next time!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigglesTony
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was my second time staying with Meera and her wonderful family. The first was with my husband. This time I was traveling solo and was SO happy to be able to stay at Saubhag again. The location is perfect. In a gorgeous quiet neighborhood but still close to the metro and Karol Bagh market. Rooms are cozy and quiet with fantastic bathrooms. Meera continues to be the best hostess around and I believe has completely ruined me for other guest houses! She really is that amazing. I'm planning on returning to Delhi next year and this is the only place I can imagine staying!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DianeDowntown
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Recommended to us, we booked to stay here at both the start and end of our visit this year.....absolutely the best decision we could have made. Our hostess, Meera, was a wonderful lady and helped us to organise our car and driver for our ongoing journey as well as providing a local contact to visit the sights in Delhi. This home stay is fabulous! We had a twin bedded and a double room, both en suite, with a lounge and a kitchen....more of a suite or apartment really. Breakfast was included and in the end we were also given our evening meals to save us going out again each evening after our sightseeing! After a disastrous fleecing in a local silk shop our hostess, a formidable lady, confiscated my purchases, returned them for a refund, then took me shopping to buy my wall hangings for under £30 for three instead of over £100 for two! We can highly recommend staying with Meera if you get the opportunity....you will not regret it for a second! We have invited Meera to stay with us should she ever wish to visit the
UK and you will too,I am sure, once you meet her!

Room Tip: You just need to book.....all the rooms are fabulous!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family