“What a nightmare!!!”

Ranked #320 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Guwahati, India
“What a nightmare!!!”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Stayed at the Velvet apple for 1 night. We were travelling in a group with 2 kids and 1 elderly person and had booked 2 rooms for 4 nights initially and paid an advance of Rs.10000 as requested. At the time of booking, had specially requested for rooms with direct sunlight as we didn't want to stay in a damp/dark place for 4 days. Also, had inquired about lift facility as we had an elderly person travelling with us who would not be comfortable climbing stairs up and down. We reached the hotel at 11.30 PM and to my surprise they had allotted us 2 rooms in the ground floor with no outside view whatsoever as the lift was out of order!! We entered the rooms..there was minimal lighting as in one of the rooms only 2 table lights were working and in the other there were 3 dim lights. On opening the washroom door, we realized the door handles were broken in both the washrooms!! There was an old fashioned geyser in the washroom which we had to switch on and wait for 20 odd minutes for the hot water to be available..which is quite tiresome when its midnight and the kids are absolutely dropping off from exhaustion!! Next morning I was surprised to wake up in the middle of the night, but when I checked the watch it was 8.30 AM. It was pitch dark inside the room as the sole window was next to the boundary wall which was about 8 ft high , so no natural light in the room.. Went for a quick shower and when I reached for the towel, the towel rail came off the wall!! Hurried down to the basement restaurant for breakfast at 9.30 AM ( Breakfast is served till 10 AM as was informed to us the previous night during check in). To our surprise, it was completely empty!! No waiters or staff.. went searching and finally located a staff who offered to help serve breakfast. When we asked for juice, we were told its not available, then another guy came and offered to make fresh watermelon juice for us. There was hot and cold milk, but no cereals/cornflakes. They claimed its not available. There was toast with butter and jam and poori bhaji. There was a card saying "eggs to order". Requested a poached egg which they refused as they didn't know how to poach an egg!! Finally received an omelette which was cold and certainly not fluffy..not the kind you expect in a restaurant!! We checked out that day itself as we didn't want to ruin our holiday with such a lousy experience..

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Neelakshi11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Stayed at Velvet Apple for a week with our two young children - what a treat! Clean and comfortable rooms with impeccable housekeeping service and attention to detail. 24/7 coffee shop and room service with amazing food (especially the indo-chinese). Appreciated the 2 markets down the street with easy, accessible shopping for tourists like us. Staff was always smiling and available to help with any of our requests - including making pancakes for our kids from a box we brought along from the US! It is boutique hotel so the staff all recognize you and so after a long day out and about, it is nice to come 'home'.

Room Tip: our room faced the street so was a bit louder in the morning but was actually ok given jet lag!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I visited Delhi in jan. Stayed at this hotel. It's an excellent hotel in 3 star category with high class services.services are on time and a good staff to make your stay comfortable. Over all It's a good hotel with excellent services. Really happy with the stay.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank anuarora
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 May 2012

On my trip mainly to north India. Going to many places, my stop in Delhi was booked at Velvet Apple Hotel.

After tiring journey just wanted to check in and hit the bed. Hotel had everything ready for me to check in and was welcomed with cool summer drink very refreshing. Rooms are equipped with all amenities and very clean with refreshing aroma. Beds and pillows were fantastic just what I needed after tiring day to sink into comfortable bed with chilling air-condition in place. I checked in late night and was really famished, I was trying to stay away from any street food so had not eaten anything except packed chips. I ordered food from room service and was served freshly made daal and roti - awesome.

After a nice hot shower, I slept like a log in comfort.

Morning had my hot tea from in room tea maker and read complimentary news paper. Interesting they called me in room for breakfast, no one calls otherwise. They did offer me to serve in-room but I chose to go down to coffee shop. Breakfast was again awesome. Fresh eggs of your choice, sausages and wide verity Indian and continental - not like run of the mill breakfasts in other hotels. I really liked the concept of Fresh Juice. They have juicer right there, take watermelon or carrot or tomato. Really Good.

Service staff is very helpful and nice. I found they empathize and understand customer needs very well and ready to take decisions. All of them ready to take charge. I was really happy and more over nicely surprised to see such professionally managed hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel and Velvet Apple Hotel will be my choice.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on second floor
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank setbomber
Bangalore
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We were going to lotus temple and booked this hotel online. We're very happy with stay large spacious rooms and clean bathrooms. Staff attentive to needs. Fast to average times for service. Staff smiling and polite. Our taxi had a hard time finding but we think he was new. Would revisit.

Room Tip: Superior room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Aditi M
VAExperience, Owner at Velvet Apple Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Ms. Aditi,

First I would like to thank you for taking out time to review Velvet Apple Hotel. I am so glad to note that you my teams were able to take care of your needs and you had great experience staying at Velvet Apple.

We spend a lot of time in training our teams and re-engineering our guest satisfaction process. I am so glad that you found service standards at acceptable levels. I am so glad you appreciate large room sizes, contrary to the norms, many hotels in our class try to have more quantity of rooms in which they miss out on space. I being a regular traveler and a hotelier, fully appreciate reasonable space in room I am staying in. Cleanliness is yet another big priority item on our list. We try to achieve zero tolerance on this front May be we do not know achieve it to full all the time but nothing less than ninety nine percent.

Taxi person could not find us? thank you for highlighting this to me. We for sure need to make drivers more aware of our property. Though you are right, may be he was new, as it should not be that difficult to locate Velvet Apple Hotel, as it is in Greater Kailash part 1 - right on the main road and close to the M and N block market and Nehru Place.

I really look forward to your next visit to Velvet Apple Hotel and Delhi and request you to set aside some time of your schedule to meet up with me for Lunch or Dinner at Appletini.

Thank you once again.
Velvet Apple Hotels
Delhi
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The rooms are big & clean, the reception is curteous and welcoming. Big bathroom with most of the amenities. Tea / coffe maker in room is added advantage. The writting desk is Englisg style and add to the overall feel of room. Good for business traveller

Room Tip: Rooms in the front have a view. Choose room on first floor
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Asurasur
VAExperience, Owner at Velvet Apple Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Asurasur -

Thank You so much for taking out time to write review Velvet Apple Hotel. I am glad to note that overall you were satisfied from our product and services. At Velvet Apple we belive in Experience and I hope that you had great Experience staying at the hotel.

I look forward to more suggestions from you regarding scope of improvement, you can write to me at ceo@velvetapplehotels.com.

I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to Velvet Apple Hotel.
Velvet Apple Hotels
Mumbai
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I stayed in this hotel last week and found for Business People good hotel value for money. Hotel is a Budget hotel but very nice and neat and clean compared to many hotels satyed in the same budget. Breakfast could have been better. But no complaints for that. Will stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bhaveshlgala
Thank you Bhavesh for taking out time out of your busy schedule to write a review on Velvet Apple Hotel. I am glad that you found hotel good for business traveller and that our staff was able to take good care of you. Besides all other other serivces, housekeeping is indeed very important to us. Care is taken to use quality houskeeping products and right people to ensure cleanliness is maintained. I am sure we are stil lagging behind in other areas, breakfast you mentioned is one. I am sure next time you visit Velvet Apple Hotel, you will feel a lot of change in breakfast spread. We have tried to re- engineer our breakfast experience and I am positive you will like it.

Looking forward to meeting you on your next visit to Velvet Apple Hotels.

Thank you once again.