“Better than expected”

Ranked #72 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 12 December 2009

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel after reading so many negative reviews before we went. The room was small but the bed and pillows were wonderful, as was the shower. Breakfast is a bit chaotic as the restaurant is not big enough and coffee was not forthcoming until after several requests. It appears that the staff are willing but not well managed. We ate a la cart in the evening and had some very good Indian food-ask for spicy if you like it that way. There are no other restaurants close to hand. The staff were very helpful and tried their best to give advice. We used the Metro and it is cheap, clean and simple to use. Do go and wander round the spice market area if you have the time-an amazing place!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
orleans
Reviewed 4 December 2009

My stay was for three nights. rooms are small. food is somehow always lukewarm no matter if its in buffet or room service. lobby looked way too colourful for a decent hotel.

Bar has a good selection of wines and the person at the bar had good knowledge of wines and drinks.

leisure option are good too. i was convinced for the most expensive spa treatment and wrap by the pretty manager but all worth although the steam room was down....

asked for mobile charger several times but amazingly no mobile chargers are available in the hotel.
would recommend for a leisure trip and try the bar!

Kochi
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Within the 4/5 Star category at the heart of Delhi, this is a reasonable property, if you are looking for 5 star comforts. The rooms are a tad too small, but great showers. The buffet breakfast (inlcuded in room tariff) is extensive and filling. The in room dining services, though expensive is prompt and the food is tasty. The staff are helpful. You might object to the garish interiors (especially of the lobby) and the staff do stand around expecting a tip.

• Liked — The shower
  • Disliked — Bad design sense, room too small
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2009

The Ramada is a nice hotel at a great location in Delhi. It is very close to Connaught Place and India Gate, and is probably the most reasonable hotel in the strip.

The quality of staff and service is impressive, and the food is quite good (though a little on the expensive side). The health spa and fitness facilities are adequate, and room service is prompt!

The one major drawback is the size of the rooms -- it is oddly shaped small rooms. So if you plan to have more than two people to a room, it will get a little crowded. Also, when I stayed there, the swimming pool was still under construction, and even when complete, will not be much bigger than a kiddie pool.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 23 November 2009

My rooms were booked and paid for in advance when I got to the reception after an intensive security check of the car - visual inspection under the hood, under the body with a stick and mirror - and of ourselves with metal detectors, screening gate and physical inspection of body and hand bags. Check-in took about 15 minutes and they asked me for my credit card as a security deposit in case if I steal something from the hotel and run away without paying. (At least I interpreted this reason as the rooms were already paid for).

The double occupancy room required careful physical maneuvering to get to the door from the bed - it's just tiny. The room had 3 telephones: 1 worked only as an intercom within the hotel, 1 was disconnected from mains and 1 I later discovered was wrongly connected to the "data" port and thus didn't work. A broken shower in the bathroom was eventually left unfixed after my 3 nights' stay and 3 complaints.

They have no weighing scale in the entire shiny 4-star hotel to either weigh yourself or your luggage; and that was discovered after transferring the call from housekeeping to front desk to bell desk.

Checkout took about 20 minutes even after having absolutely no pending bill.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Reviewed 21 November 2009

Having stayed at other hotels in India, I noted many unusual features at this hotel that looks quite good from outside.

1. The lobby looks like a bad copy of a Las Vegas estate. It is a matter of taste, and you may even like it, but it was not my personal taste of a 4 star business hotel.
2. The rooms are cramped, and have an odd shape.
3. The carpets are not clean and in places torn.
4. The bathroom has no tub, and the shower area is basic at best.
5. Be careful with furniture in the room, they are so delicate that they might just fall if you put luggage on top.
6. The lifts are quite adequate. However there is no sign that a lift has arrived to a floor. If you are careful observing all 7-8 doors, you might actually miss it.

Service horrors:
1. Internet is pricey at 7 star hotel rates (even Indian ones). The speed barely compares to that of a dial up (if it works). Not good for a business trip.
2. Same for printing. Obviously a rip-off.
3. Had a red stain on the pillow. And it was not a paint. I guess change of laundry doesn't happen when guests change.
4. Breakfast/lunch at the only restaurant takes infinite amount of time for any service. But there is plenty of staff around, and they seem to be either busy walking past you or busy chatting to each other.

And I was not the only one who experienced these. My colleague on another floor had a similar experience.

Bottom line: You get cheated and you are better off some place else.

New York City, New York
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,139 helpful votes
Reviewed 16 November 2009

This hotel is all of 3 months old, in the words of its owner Ashok Mittal, and according to him, there are numerous teething problems. This is the good news, i.e. the owner is aware that there are teething problems and did not make excuses for the numerous flaws, gaffes, shortcomings that I experienced during my 4 nites. The bad news is that this was the old Ashok Yatri Hotel, a 2 star hotel owned and run by the Indian Government, and it still shows in the infrastructure and decor, inspite of the refurbishing and new management under Ramada.

1. Front desk was chaotic and unorganized when I tried to check in at 3pm, supposedly a slow time. There were at least 5 individuals behind the front desk, but it was not clear what they were up to. Each of them was trying to help the 2 guests who were at the front desk, one trying to check in and one trying to check out. When my turn came 3 of them tried to check me in one after the other asking for the same information repeatedly. One of them checked me in, gave me my keys, and just as I was leaving informed me that I should wait in the lobby because my 'room was dirty'!

2. I finally checked into a clean room, and being famished after a long low cost airline flight, and looked for the room service menu. There wasnt one. It took 3 individuals and 20 minutes to retreive one. There was no waste paper basket in the bathroom.

3. Space was at a premium on the desk, and the single plug point had to be alternatedf between the kettle, the lamp, the laptop and the phone charger. Some of the mini bar items spilled over into the desk drawer.

4. The plumbing is old, and each time one uses the faucet, the flush, the shower, there is a huge racket. On the last day when I was packing my stuff from the wardrobe, I noticed that some of the clothes were damp. Upon closer inspection it turned out that there was a leak from the vent in the wardrobe, and droplets were falling on the clothes.

5. At breakfast on the first morning, there was a long line of guests waiting to be seated. It was clear that the hostess and the manager were not able to cope with this. They were asking guests to share tables. When I finally got my table, and I got up to get my breakfast and returned with my plate, my table was gone! The manager offered to seat me at another table, but I didnt want to take the risk!

6. When I asked for the user name and password for internet access I was told to come to the business center to get it becuase it was 'insecure' to send it to my room. When I went to get it, I was told why did I bother to come to the business center, it would have been sent up! This process needs to be repeated each time you need to buy more time, since it cannot be done online!

7. On the 2nd day when I retunrd to my room in the evening, I noticed that towels and napkins had been replaced but the dirty ones had been left in the sink and the shower!

8. Used glasses, cups, spoons were not cleaned or replaced.

9. My Wyndham Rewards number was not in the reservation when I checked in, and I gave it to them, and I was assured it would be input. Sure enough when I checked at the time of check out, it had still not made its way into the system!

The good news is that the staff is young, inexperienced and untrained, but they are trying hard. The hotel is enjoying over 90% occupancy and the public areas and the staff are stretched to accomodate everyone. I think they will come out of this teething period. If you are willing to endure this until then, go ahead and stay here, if not, wait for a few weeks or months.

Stayed November 2009, travelled solo