“Ordinary and avoidable”
Review of The Yum Yum Tree

The Yum Yum Tree
Ranked #623 of 12,580 Restaurants in New Delhi
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Buffet, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New Delhi
“Ordinary and avoidable”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Went to YYT after a few years because I had a couple of bad experiences earlier and had stopped going.

I've had food at parties catered by YYT and the foods been very good. After tasting the catered food and views about YYT on forums I gave it another shot but I was totally disappointed and I will certainly not go back or recommend the place to anyone else.

Honestly there wasn't anything bad with the food....but there wasn't anything good with the food either. It was just plain ordinary food and we could've totally avoided the place. There were five of us and all of us were unanimous in our opinion about the food.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank US75

New Delhi, India
“The standard has really gone down!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I had dinner last night and were frankly very disappointed with almost every aspect of our experience.

To start with,the Airconditioning was not woking very well.We changed our table to find the coolest spot and then it was not uncomfortable but far from perfect.

The next surprise was when I unfolded my napkin and found a small cockroach sitting under it.
The staff were apologetic and caught the offending insect and took it away.

I ordered a beer and was served a mildly cold drink.The staff tried to remedy this by changing my glass with a pre-cooled glass..(pthis was party successfull)

Our meal was average and nothing to write home about.
My next beer order was also not cold and I requested them to put it in the freezer before serving it again.

All in all ,it was a poor experience considering that we ended up paying more than Rs. 4000 (approx 60USD) for the two of us for 1 starter ,2 main dishes and 3 drinks. Other places offer far better quality and value for this kind of money

The whole place appeared to be overall ..slightly run down....
It was a far cry from what they used to be when they opened.

It seemed that the management has lost focus on the resteraunt and has not been paying attention.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank VikramRanade
“Overpriced but worth”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Been to this restaurant with my friends and it was nice experience to be there; wonderful food, service & ambience.... i have liked both the veg & non veg sections (Dimsums in particular)..... it's bit expensive but worth to be in this restaurant

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank sandipkrsingh
“An excellent experience”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have become regulars at the YYT Sunday Brunch. The Japanese and Chinese cuisine combination makes it an attractive proposition. My son loves the sushi, and we the dim sum.

I particularly like their vegetarian selection. The service is friendly, smiling but a tad slow; especially when the place fills up around 1:30-2:00 pm.

I would recommend the vegetarian sushi, the crab and prawn dimsum as well as their hot and sour soup.

Go one of these Sundays.. you could do much worse!

• Visited February 2014
“Overpriced & Overrated”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

It is hard to give an objective analysis of a restaurant on the basis of one visit especially when your view is in the minority. However, I feel compelled to share my view for the benefit of the community.

I visited YYT last week for dinner.It was on a weekday at around 10 pm. The restaurant was mostly empty. Only three tables were occupied.

We ordered a serving of dimsums ,two dishes - a prawn dish & a chicken dish and a bowl each of steamed rice & sticky rice.

Most mainstream chinese dishes are gravy dishes,which is the reason most chinese /thai restaurants ask you to choose the sauce in which you would like your chicken/prawn/lamb etc. In this regard, Yum Yum Tree is no different.Basically, it is the sauce that imparts character to your meat/fish dish.Like most people,we ordered different curries to add variety to our food.

To our dismay,there was hardly any gravy in the dishes.They were borderline dry.How did the cook expect us to have nearly dry items , which are traditionally served otherwise, with rice completely confounds me. This problem was further compounded by the order of sticky rice.We followed it with a bowl of normal rice which really didnt do much to remedy the situation.

Further ,for the amount they charge for the prawn dish, I would expect them to put decent number of prawns in the dish.The quantity was woefully insufficient.

The chicken dish was above average but not spectacular. Furthermore, like the prawn dish, it was borderline dry, marring our experience.

Compared to other restaurants , the rice bowl servings are also small. However, because the servings of the main dishes were so small, we couldn't even half finish our second bowl of rice.

I dont remember being so disappointed in a chinese restaurant since I ate at the Oriental bloom (ansal plaza) a couple of years ago.I think they shut shop sometime back.

Am perplexed at the high ratings here which drew me to this restaurant

Service -3.5 /5
Decor - 3/5
Food - 2/5

Amount Spent -3400 apprx including a service charge of 12.5 percent. No drinks were ordered.

• Visited January 2014