“Fantastic Bed and Breakfast”
Review of Colonel's Retreat

Colonel's Retreat
Ranked #2 of 1,095 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Fantastic Bed and Breakfast”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Beautifully decorated little bed and breakfast located close to the Defense Colony Market. Staff was very helpful and friendly. This location is just minutes away to some of the premier sights in Delhi. Breakfast was delicious including homemade banana bread and an assortment of homemade marmalade. Upon request this inn will prepare dinner for you and it is delicious. I would recommend staying here and if I return to Delhi, I will be staying here again. FYI - the wifi was the most reliable that I found at any hotel in India!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at Colonel's Retreat 3 times in 18 days. First two times with two friends. Each time I had a different room, each was really clean, large, comfortable. As others have said it's clean, modern & on each floor there is a sitting room. The staff were great. It was nice to be treated as a house guest. I can recommend the in house curries. Thanks too for looking after cases while I was a) doing the Golden Triangle and b) away in Mumbai.
Free wifi was a joy. The ability to use the computer and print off boarding cards was well appreciated.
3rd stay was just like coming home!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charles G
arunkhannacolonels, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you , we are delighted at your generous praise. We pride ourselves in being a simple place with all the basics and few frills . Clean, comfortable, quiet and central with good free wi fi. . Isn't that all one needs on a trip ?
New York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was my second time staying here and it was great. The rooms are very clean, the decor is tasteful, and the breakfasts are delicious! The location is very convenient, and there are restaurants etc. walking distance from here to explore. Breakfast was served on the rooftop this time around (last time it was in the dining area attached to the common space on our floor), and it was very peaceful. I like that you feel like you're at someone's apartment rather than a hotel - it feels like you get more of a taste of the city that way. This place was great both times and I have no negatives to point out. And definitely try the aloo parathas for breakfast!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BR944
ghori90, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
We are delighted to read your lovely review of our property . A big thank you .
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This guest house is located close to a metro. It is clean, comfortable and very well run. We were there in December, when it was cold, but the rooms had heaters and the showers were hot. The roof terrace was a pleasant place to eat the generous breakfast. The added plus was that we were able to order their home-cooked meals when we didn't feel up to going out again. When one of us was unwell, they were very helpful with doctor and fetching whatever was prescribed. It was a great start to our trip to India, though it did set a very high standard! If you're wanting to use a mobile phone, however, the coverage was very poor on the ground floor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chilliflakes3
ghori90, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely review . I am glad you got to sample some of our home style meals. Home food is so much superior to Restaurant food , almost all over the world . The food is fresh and tasty with each dish having its own distinct flavor. We are truly delighted your stay was all what you expected it to be.
Malaysia
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I booked two rooms in this place through booking.com for one night. The booking confirmation was duly emailed to me by booking.com. As our driver was driving us to this place, our driver wasn't clear about the exact location of this place and I called this place for further directions. The guy who answered my call just told me that they had no rooms for us as they were fully booked. I told them that I booked through booking.com and I actually had a booking confirmation. He just told me that they had a 3 day lead time policy and booking.com didn't follow that. Before I could say any further, that guy just put ended the call! If that was indeed the case, they should have informed booking.com. They did not. I called booking.com which in turn confirmed that this IRRESPONSIBLE place did not inform them at all that they are fully booked. I tried calling this place again and again, each time the ringing was just abruptly cut off. Booking.com also tried calling them but to no avail. I had my elderly parents and a young son with me that night and were left high and dry. It was peak period in delhi and we couldn't find any alternative in delhi itself. Luckily, our Tibetan travel agent managed to help us find two rooms in a temple's guesthouse after searching high and low for 2 hours. We were just driving round and round delhi. What a joke! These people are not honorable and not credible. STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank sharonyp
ghori90, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
We are extremely busy at most times and BOOKING.COM is clearly told to give us atleast 3 days advance notice to sell a room. In your case they went ahead and booked your room within 1 day or arrival , clearly going against our written instructions with them.

At no point did we accept this booking and I am sorry if this was not conveyed to you by your Agent.

I am extremely sorry you were greatly inconvenienced but we are not to be blamed for this one bit. This one is clearly the fault of your travel agency.

I hope you come again and enjoy our lovely place , albeit with a prior accepted booking. Sorry about that.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 February 2014

A well-located, quiet, very clean and comfortable family-run B&B with attentive and obliging staff. The availability of lunch or dinner on request was an added bonus. All in all, a very delightful and enjoyable extended stay on my return to Delhi after an absence of many years.
Ian Wille, Canberra, Australia

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and was close to the downstairs breakfast room. It was quite spaci...