“Very Special”

Ranked #6 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Bangkok
“Very Special”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

A delight in every respect. The Hotel is quietly efficient, caring in advance for my needs! I had a difficult few days of rather mixed medical experiences, but the Hotel was an absolute haven, and I was supported all through by an excellent 'butler', who was far and away the best I could have asked for. Thank you particularly for this, but really, a great Hotel, excellently managed, beautifully decorated and i am at a loss to find a fault. I will be back with the family as soon as funds allow! We live in Thailand, which is generally rated among the best in the world for its' wonderful if sometimes chaotic hospitality, but 'The Lodhi' was up there with the very best.

Room Tip: All 'Premier Rooms' are spacious, with individual private plunge pools. There are only 37 ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Finnish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed a week in a room with a balcony and plunge pool. Service was excellent, ambience was excellent, WiFi was excellent, the mini bar was too expensive, but aren't they all? I'd put this in the top 5 of favorite hotels for me, based on cost, architectural interest / decor, square footage and amenities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank abraendel
SAN FRANCISCO
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've just returned from a stay at The Lodhi in Delhi. I hope to return soon. The hotel-- 85 rooms and suites, most with a private en-suite plunge pool-- has been a very insider secret hotel until recently, I was told by Indian friends of mine, Now it seems to be becoming more and more discovered by international guests and Indians who appear to enjoy the art galleries. It's like a private hotel…with a feeling of intimacy you don't often find in noisy and thronging India. There was a feeling of buzz earlier this week…lots of interesting people, including a sighting of the author William Dalrymple, who is admired for his books on India.
I got a sense that The Lodhi is something different when I drove up. The exterior is ivory-colored marble--the same kind used for the Taj Mahal. It's modern.Not expected…where most hotels fall into the Colonial style.That's great, and I love history, but this is refreshing.
I was guided straight to my suite--no waiting in the lobby here. That's a relief, especially after a very long flight.
Staff is dressed in custom-tailored uniforms that change with the season, I was told by a receptionist. In winter for women it's chic persimmon-colored embroidered cashmere. For men it's tweed jackets. Natty.
What's great:
After a day of shopping (Khan Market and SunderNagar market are great) it's refreshing to take a swim in the suite's private pool.The suite pools--one of the top attractions for me--are sandstone, and open to a terrace and leafy Delhi views, which include Humayan's Tomb, one of the city's top attractions.
Decor: light, fresh, understated. Nothing overly fussy or glitzy. Lots of modern art from the Sharan Gallery. I would be of special interest to architects and designers.
Menus are Modern Indian, as well as Continental, and American favorites, all fresh and seasonal. You can eat salads here. I met friends one evening in the bar and later had lunch outdoors on the terrace. Breakfast menu is international. You can dine on your own terrace. I love the new bagel with smoked salmon, recently introduced.
Staff are incredibly warm and helpful. Hotel drivers are like personal chauffeurs, which is a relief in Delhi's totally crazy traffic. They'll wait while you shop.
The management at the hotel are incredibly helpful. They provided an airport co-ordinator to greet and help through the airport maze…and on departure the co-ordinator/ host was there to handle everything. It's such a relief.
Robyn Bickford and her husband Manav Garewal are the co-managers. Robyn if you are lucky, you will meet her) is a former diplomat, and is especially good at connecting you with the right places (Delhi is vast) and talented people. She told me about an event that I would never have known about, and has up-to-date shopping suggestions.This is unusual for an Indian luxury hotel.
Highest recommendation.

Room Tip: Room 801 for a honeymoon. (I over heard a newlywed couple thanking the staff for filling their room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank STUDYTRAVEL2201
Central Coast
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Felt at home as soon as we arrived...who wouldn't? a huge room with its own heated plunge pool and double daybed. Not many hotels can boast that. Towels were thick and lush and the toiletries were large bottles and had heavenly fragrances. There is a deep bath, separate shower, separate his/hers sinks and the toilet is in a separate cubicle which is very civilised. It is an independently owned hotel and on our first morning the owner sort us out at breakfast, knew we had just arrived and where we had come from. That was a personal start to a wonderful 3 day stay. We had our first lunch at Lodhi on The Water their multicuisine restaurant and must confess we didn't eat anywhere else because it was soooo good. We had been to Delhi before and had eaten at other restaurants but this is definitely our favourite. Because the hotel has its own grounds it was extremely quiet. The public areas of the hotel are a little shabby in parts and the building itself is monochromatic but once inside the rooms are beautiful. Oh have I mentioned the excellent spa, huge curated art collection, cigar room, tasteful gift shop, a library and a no tipping policy that in no way affected the service...I think you get the idea...we loved it

Room Tip: Rooms on 5th floor very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lindylou55
UK
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night after my wedding, the hotel upgraded me- two bedroom villa .... One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, had room service and that was also top notch ! Is this delhi best hotel? I think so!

Rooms was huge, good was great, staff who I came across were friendly , didn't really see that many to comment due to short stay

Wife used salon and it was very nice would love to come back to use the spa!

See you real soon

Waterfront restaurant is very cool and good place for great food in a wow scenery

Stayed February 2014
RobynBickford, General Manager at The Lodhi, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at The Lodhi for your honeymoon and thank you for your wonderful comments. We do hope to see you with us again for your first anniversary and for many years to follow.

We wish you every happiness for your future together from all of us at The Lodhi.

Sincerely, Robyn Bickford
Niteroi, RJ
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The Lodhi is a well located hotel near Humayun Tomb and others touristic sites with great and refined decoration. We stayed on second floor with garden view. The room is very comfortable with a private swimming pool. There are 2 good restaurants. There were two things that we did not like, one of them was the air conditioner. It was very hot and the air conditioner was poor although we claimed several times to the reception desk. The other was the employees staying around us to receive tips. It was so constraining. I think that the hotel tip politics shall be more polite, like leaving the tip in an envelope at the end of the stay.

Room Tip: Top level rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
RobynBickford, General Manager at The Lodhi, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest
I do apologise that your stay with us at The Lodhi was marred by a fault in the air conditioning and by some staff members seeming to expect tipping. I am most concerned about the tipping as we have a very strict policy, as outlined on the tentcard on your desk, in that all staff members are expected to politely refuse any offers of tips. While a central pool is maintained for tips at reception , we do actively discourage the practice.

Yours sincerely, Robyn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The best hotel I have ever stayed in! Nothing else to say. But trip advisor wants 200 characters. The bed was amazingly comfy, the room was the biggest I've ever seen, and the cocktails (yes a little pricy) were gorgeous. Nothing was a bother for the staff either. Please stay here

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple