“A Bit Pricier but Worth it In Paharganj”
Review of Hotel Hari Piorko

Hotel Hari Piorko
Ranked #51 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
New York
“A Bit Pricier but Worth it In Paharganj”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Decent value for Paharganj. You will find cheaper places, but they might be less good. I had one night without the group I was traveling with, and wanted a place where I would feel safe as a solo female traveller. Hari Piorko is situated on the Main Bazaar road, so it is always busy and not isolated. The hotel itself is pretty big, with a big lobby and wifi included with the price of the room (that might depend on the package you book, though.) The room itself was very clean, and comfortable, and the employees were all very kind and helpful. The hotel has a restaurant but it is under construction (so it's semi-outdoors and open to the heat and noise of the street, and also kind of weird because half of it is being worked on/rebuilt...) so I would not really bother going there, or just order to your room if you want to stay in the hotel. Was able to book a cab to the airport from the hotel travel desk without any issues, and got there just fine. Good experience at Hari Piorko--safe and comfortable, good AC and helpful people working there. I would definitely reccommend this place.

Room Tip: Take one that is not facing the street; you'll have less noise and car honks.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent for the amount we were paying. We booked a executive room with twin single beds, but they bumped us up to a deluxe room with twin single beds. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. A/C was working. One down side was that the room had a stuffy smell. The travel desk was very friendly and helpful, and the staff in general was friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Braham99
USA
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Pros
Great location on a busy road.
Easy rickshaw access to CP and points throughout the city
Clean, comfortable room and bathroom
Aquarium is a nice touch
Working air conditioning
Nice dining option up on the roof, with good food
Very friendly and helpful staff

Comments to management
Please fix the shutter in the bathrooms - with missing slats, it feels like people can be spying on you from the walkway behind the rooms while showering

Cons
When booking a pre-paid return taxi to the airport (from the desk in the hotel lobby), we were picked up on time. However, the driver had never been to the airport before and had to ask for directions on multiple occasions. Given he was unsure, he drove very slowly the entire way. He then detoured to go get gas, which added 40 minutes to the trip. He then took us to the wrong terminal. When trying to find the right one, he then received a traffic ticket. The total trip took 2 hours 30 minutes (while the trip to the hotel took 30 minutes). The driver then had the nerve to ask us for more money. Given this was booked through the hotel, we would have expected that they use a more reputable and reliable taxi service.

Room Tip: Had an inside room on 2nd floor, and had no problem with any noise whatsoever
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SevillesBarber
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 night, hotel is located walkable distance to Delhi railway station. The rooms are neat and clean. Friendly staff. Free wifi. The hotel has arranged sight seeing which is worth. Saw almost all the places. As we Visted Delhi during the very summer couldn't stay long and enjoy the monuments of Delhi.

Stayed May 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 31 July 2014

While in New Delhi I stayed at this hotel and it was a winner. First of all the location was awesome! It is located right in the middle of the Bazaar. The rooms where clean and the staff was very kind. My favorite part of my stay was the hotel restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was superior. All the staff at the restaurant went out of their way to make sure I was happy. While eating at the restaurant I never had any bouts with stomach issues, where as at other places in India, I did have stomach issues. The manager Daniel even took time to tell me how to get to various sightseeing attractions around New Delhi using public transportation. He was very helpful in my stay at the hotel, and felt like that genuine hospitality made Hotel Hari Piorko a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed at the Hari Piorko many times - ten times in all I think - and while it is generally good for an Indian hotel, it is a bit up and down.

During my first visit I came from a nightmare spot down the road. I had stayed there with two friends who don't mind "roughing it" and they meant it. The Hari Piorko was a welcome release from hell on that occasion, it seemed like an oasis of calm and cleanliness by comparison.

Over the next few years I stayed there a number of times during transits through Delhi to other places, usually staying a day or two each time. It was fine, nothing special, but handy and very cheap.

In early 2013 I stayed there with my fiancé (now wife) as well as another friend. This stay was very mixed - we could not seem to get them to understand that we needed dry sheets on the bed. This sounds bizarre, but what had happened was that the hotel had done laundry and due to wet weather could not air-dry the sheets, so they just put them on the bed whilst still wet. I have never seen this anywhere else. The worst thing was that they had a stock of dry bedding, but would not provide this until the next day, despite promising on six separate occasions to do so. Finally, in frustration, I knocked the staff member in charge of the linen cupboard out of my way and helped myself to clean dry sheets, made the bed myself, and all was well. The sheets in our friend's room had not been laundered and so were already dry.

At the same time, we agreed that the restaurant was very good - we really enjoyed the food, and ate there several times during this trip.

On our most recent visit, January 2014, we stayed here again for four nights during part of our honeymoon. Unfortunately the restaurant has disimproved and the food was nowhere near as good, a disappointment as we were looking forward to it. We also found a dead mouse in the restaurant, under our table, which management told us must have come in from next door and then suddenly died. Standards were generally much poorer during this stay and we noted that an elderly, white-bearded gentleman who had been in charge of Reception on all our previous visits was no longer there, so this might be why - obviously he kept the staff in line. Like all Indian hotel staff, they are lazy and unwilling to help unless pushed.

I do retain a certain fondness for the Hari Piorko, it was a place I stayed in many times and I had many adventures while staying here. Would I stay again? Probably, if I were anxious to save money, but I would consider it carefully. All criticisms aside though, the Hari is one of the better hotels in Paharganj (an area of generally crappy hotels) and for this reason alone it is worth looking at if you want to stay in this area. However, if you are not tied to Paharganj, look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is really a good place to stay in Pahar Ganj.Absolutely excellent staff almost to the point of being too much, although friendly people in delhi are like that. :) think in New Delhi you wouldn't want to cheap out on hotels too much; and Hotel_Hari Piorko was a perfect combination of a good price for a fantastic hotel. Definitely recommend if staying in Parharganj.and restorent is the best part of the hotel.The best and the yummiest food is what you can always find at this restaurant.The excellent food complemented with the superb class of service makes it a top notch restaurant. The staff is very courteous and have a charming way to chat about the menu. Indeed, they are well trained.Good food, good service, great location on a lovely an cozy rooftop. Quit and clean place, probably the best restaurant in Main Bazar-area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business