“Superb value for money”

Ranked #418 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Europe
“Superb value for money”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We booked a room at Hotel Raj initially, but when checking in, were directed to their more expensive sister hotel, Aura. We were also shown a room in the Raj, and it was nice as well. However, Aura is a slightly more upmarket than the Raj, so we were quite happy with the upgrade.

The room: We stayed one night in a room without a window (decoration-wise very pleasant room, also), but asked for a room with a window the next day, which the staff provided without any hesitation. (A good thing abt a windowless room is that they are absolutely free of any street noise - a hint for those allergic to signs of life...) The second room was quite a bit larger but had a strong cigarette smell which I couldn't tolerate, Again, our request of getting another room was fulfilled without any grunting. Must say I very much appreciated the helpfullness and professionalism of the staff in customer service (something that can be lacking in Indian hotels of this price range). So having seen three rooms of this establishemnt, I can say all the rooms are very nice with lcd-tvs, wooden flooring, etc., almost of the standard of some five-star establishments. (I've also stayed at Taj and Radisson in Delhi, and their standard rooms are of quite the same standard, except for bathroom amenities, cleaning etc, but then again, we paid just $25/20e for a night, so the value for money is pretty unbeatable). Other pluses: Complimentary water bottles are provided every day, and a small buffet breakfast is included in the room price (nothing super fancy but perfectly adequate with eggs prepared to your taste, cereals, curd, fruit, toast, and the Indian fare; anything else we asked for were always provided, and the staff is fabulous). Also worth mentioning: the pictures in the web represent the rooms well, so you get what you see. The only negative feedback I'd give about the rooms is that the level of cleaning leaves a tiny bit to be desired, but definitely nothing serious. And again, if you mention about your grievances, the staff will definitely correct it.

Bathrooms: Bathrooms have attractive tiles, a separate shower cubicle and bathroom toiletries, including a toothbrush kit etc., which is extremely uncommon in Indian hotels of this price range.

Food: We were happy with the breakfast, and tried room service as well. Food is fine but as always in hotels, slightly on pricy side (especially comparing with what you get in the restaurants nerby). There's a great veg Punjabi place opposite Ajanta, their food is superb and prices very 'Indian'.

Location: We've also stayed in Karol Bagh but while it has its advantages of being green-ish and les touristy than Paharganj, we do prefer Paharganj for the location and a good range of budget accomodations (plus if you want the touristy nick-nack it's easily available, as well as restaurants providing western-ish food if getting tired of subji and paratha). Arakashan road is nice option for those who want to escape the floads of tourist in the Paharganj main bazaar but still want to enjoy the convenience of Paharganj. While some reviewers complain about the location (street being noisy, dirty, whatever), Arakashan road is quite a usual street near a railway station (meaning it ain't a diplomatic enclave but perfectly regular Indian environment, safe and with a nice local touch to it; and do remember, you opted to come to India in the first place so don't expect a Trafalgar Sqr). I assume the complainers don't have much experience in travelling in India, or have previously just stayed at beachside resorts. Shortly, don't be put off by location criticism!

This was our third stay in Paharganj, and previously stayed at Hotel New Delhi City Center (a sister hotel of Ajanta). The price there was same but without breakfast (charged separately rs 280 per person) and the room much much simpler, nothing to talk about in the same sentence (decorations, bathroom etc.)! Also, while we were happy with the service at City Center on our first stay, the establishment has quite a few issues with their customer service, and must say I was unhappier with every stay untill finally decided would not stay there again. The only downside I can actually think of is that they don't have a free internet access in the premises (apart from free wifi advertised on the website), but we were let to use the intenet at the travel desk. Also, there are cyber cafes nearby so this isn't much of an issue.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank desigrl
sales_aurahotel, General Manager at Hotel Aura, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Aura and providing us an opportunity to serve you. We are delighted to read your honest feedback "Superb Value For Money" about your stay with us.Thank you so much for having taken time to post your feedback on tripadvisor. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Aura, Management Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
NH
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My wife and I arrived in Delhi a few days before a group of friends in order to go to Agra and see its wonders. We were travelling with the friends to Nepal in order to do some relief work. Therefore we had many large bags of supplies and the hotel very graciously allowed us to store it there while we travelled by train to Agra and returned several days later. The hotel is in walking distance to the train station and is well situated for other sites. The room was quite nice, and the staff were helpful and genial. Was very happy with Hotel Aura and would stay there again if I return to Delhi.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James F
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Aura and providing us an opportunity to serve you. We are delighted to read your honest feedback "Great Location,Nice Rooms, Honest Friendly Staff"" about your stay with us.Thank you so much for having taken time to post your feedback on tripadvisor. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Aura Management Team.
Dublin
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I booked two nights in the Hotel Raj across the road and when I arrived was not happy with the room offered. They moved me to the Aura Hotel and I was given a room on the first floor.

The room had no windows, which was a bit startling and not great from a fire safety point of view. However, it was otherwise quite decent, reasonably maintained with decent furniture and clean bedding. The bathroom although quirky was the best I saw in my week in India.

There was one problem - I made the mistake of eating in the rooftop restaurant. This degenerated into a bit of a farce when the sole staff member there could not open the till and both of us had to stand on the balcony shouting down at the manager, who was having an animated chat on the noisy street four floors below. I thought this was very funny however, and shared a laugh with the staff member......until 24 hours and two flights later, when the gastroenteritis had finished incubating. Four further days later I was still suffering with the worst bout of food poisoning I have ever had or even heard of....and this was my fifth trip to Delhi! I had the stuffed cheese paneer. I should have known better when there was no-one else in the restaurant.

5 Thank JohnSDunne
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Myself and my 2 friends originally booked only 2 nights at the Aura Hotel, New Delhi. We were greeted by the friendly staff, who immediately made themselves available to help us in any way they could....we ended up staying for another 5 nights! Praveen, the manager, couldn't have been nicer, and organised us a trip around Rajastan for 8 days, all at a very good price. The room was lovely, air con, hot shower, comfy bed, good room service...the list could go on forever. Everything about our stay could not have been more perfect, and we highly, HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone heading to New Delhi.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Milz H
Bacolod, Philippines
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The place is lovely! The staff are very accommodating and the food are great! The rooms are clean.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Karen Marice M
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I am now back in Australia after three months in India, the last five days at Hotel Aura.
What a lovely way to end a holiday.Praveen and his staff did everything they could to make sure my stay was comfortable. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable and food is very very good (Thankyou Premdev)As a solo traveller I always felt safe and taken care of.It was hot and getting back to my cool oasis was heaven. I will definitely stay when I return to India.I recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a quiet cool space to relax.Know that you will be well attended to by the great staff.

3 Thank Dadij
Delhi
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Hotel Aura offers clean comfortable rooms in a friendly hotel. Be sure of what you ask for and the staff will do their best to help you. The tour desk offers great deals and Praveen has good English. Be wary of day returns especially to Aggra, with the roads, speed limits and jams this is a trip too far.
It was only the language difficulty that caused any hiccups but with patience most problems are easily overcome.
The laundry service was good value and efficient.
I highly recommend this hotel with the only slight negative being in relation to the restaurant which struggled at times with stock levels

Room Tip: The first floor can be a little noisy with reception sometimes being too loud.