“A LOT TO ASK FOR”

Ranked #168 of 707 Hotels in New Delhi
Connecticut
“A LOT TO ASK FOR”
Reviewed 15 December 2009

I had read the reviews this hotel had before I went on vacation and although I saw a couple of poor reviews, since they were only few I assumed people had high expectations of a 3 star hotel. I must appologize to those people, because although I don't have high expectation myself I will not recommend this hotel to anyone! Throughout my trip I had stayed in other 3* hotels and they were a LOT better.

The picture of the Front of the hotel looks nice and it is indeed the way it looks. However, what the picture doesn't show is the area where the hotel is located. We had arrvied in the middle of the night - and it was very scary to ride (we had a driver) through the Karol Bagh's area. I had read a lot about the Karol Bagh market area, but this is faaar from the market you want walk around and shop at. We were advised not to leave the hotel after dark - so we were stuck! Also, the street life starts between 5-6 o'clock so beware if your room is located low like our was - you will not get any sleep.

Hotel itself looked clean - but we got the room right across from the reception! What hotel has rooms on the same floor where the the reception is! The constant guest traffic - check-ins, check-outs, employees, etc was impossible to have any quiet time. We spent 2 nights at that hotel and didn't get one quiet night. So after exhausting long flight our first few days in India had a rocky start.

The room we had was small - at least it had an aditional bed for my son, but the sheets although seemed to be cleaned - had many stains and the blankets were very worned out. Also neither the sheets nor the blankets fit properly the double bed we had, and the sheet and blanket on my son's single bed was too big. I heard this hotel is fairly new (6 monghs) so the quality of the sheets and blankets were very poor and old.

There were toiletries provided, but we had to wait a long time to get a hot water and kept asking for more towels. The employees are very friendly, but they only bring one thing at the time and wait for tips.
This hotel offers room service and has a "restaurant" but does not have a kitchen and the food comes from somewhere else... scary thought considering the area this hotel is located in is very dirty and poor. The quality of food was average.

I left the hotel tired and disappointed and it wasn't what I hoped for.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — the location of the room in the hotel and quality of bedding.
  • Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Holland
Reviewed 24 November 2009

A clean place,friendly staff , a good place to startAn India tour. Although it was 3.00a.m when we arrived, everybody was extremely helpful. I cannot imagine a better place.A simple but tasty breakfast. Nothing more to be desired[as far as hotels go]. I shall be back soon.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Aster Inn New Delhi for your stay, I am delighted that you enjoyed our features and services.

I am pleased to read that our features and services met with your expectations. It is our constant endeavor to create magical experiences for each of our guests.

Thank you also for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor and for recommending us as your favorite place in Delhi. Your endorsement on our personalized staff services is highly appreciated and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soonest.

Mauritius
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We arrived at Aster Inn after staying in the Marriott in Mumbai, and were expecting a massive difference, as the prices were of different leagues for starters, but we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very clean, the furnishing new and the toiletries provided of a 5* standard.
The service was definitely the best amongst all the hotel we have stayed at during our India tour. The staff went out of their way to help us, be it to exchance currency, to give us information about shopping areas and even negotiate Rickshaw prices before we jumped in. There is a kind of homely atmosphere at this hotel, everybody is very accessible and always ready to help. I felt the bigger hotel chains lacked this personal approach and Aster Inn wins outright.
The breakfast was always hot, timely and very tasty. The Massala Chai was to die for; we ordered it everyday without fail.
I read a previous review about the AC being turned off and I have to say as soon as we stepped back into the hotel, the staff would endeavour to turn the AC back on in our room, without us having to ask. As an customer who is very passionate about eco friendliness, I felt this was a very commendable simple act that could yet help the planet loads in time. I am shocked to think some customers would want the AC to remain on whilst they would be out the whole day..

Top hotel, top service. will definitely stay there again when I next visit Delhi.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I would like to highly recommend The Hotel Aster Inn to anybody considering staying in New Delhi, for any type of trip.

As a newly established hotel, we found this to be great value for money. The rooms were nice and clean, true to the advertising on their website. It is well located, within reasonable reach of New Delhi centre (2 stops on the developing Delhi Metro). The service was great. The hotel staff were attentive, and the manager was accommodating and helpful with all of our enquiries.

Some minor criticisms though:
Hot water – needs notice i.e. run it for about 10 mins!
Not so quick on breakfast – can take up to an hour!
No internet facilities installed yet, although the Manager allowed us use of his own office facility.

All in all, we had a great experience staying at this hotel. I definitely would stay here again if I were visiting New Delhi again!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

uk
Reviewed 13 November 2009

thiz was the statrting point in india...as my flight got delayed...the driver was still there a fresh waiting for me with a smile...i waz imprezzed...while smoothly chekin in 4 in the morning i was happy that theze people have real pictures on there website of the room they were havin,i got one of them...yeppei...room service was quick in the morning ,
nice room, well decorated & good staff with a smile.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 2 November 2009

This place was awful! The location is terrible, possibly one of the worst areas of Delhi. The Hotel itself looks okay until you get to your room... the bed had a bottom sheet, and that's it! No top sheet! I asked for one and got a Single size sheet for a double bed! ?? I asked for a double sheet and got another Single Sheet!! Then I noticed that the bottom sheet had some questionable stains on it, but was told it was clean... I pulled it off the bed and told them to replace it! Finally I get a bottom and a top sheet but had to make the bed myself! And that was the last time I saw a clean sheet for my entire 3 night stay! They don't make up your room during your stay... no clean sheets or clean towels!

The Hotel's web site states "Direct Dial Local & STD/ISD/Internet Surfing on request", let me explain that a bit... Internet surfing is about 3 blocks away at a disgustingly dirty place that provides computers to use for internet activities. Long Distance Calls can be made at the Reception desk... while standing... right beside the front desk in the way of, and within ear shot of, everyone coming and going!

Their web site also states "Running Hot & Cold Water", which is true, but if you want a Hot Shower you have to ask for the Hot water... every morning, even if you asked the night before, you still have to ask again in the morning!

Rooms are Air Conditioned, but it is turned off every time you leave your room and you have to ask for it to be turned back on when you get back!!

The Hotel does not have a kitchen that I could see, and the food is awful! It arrives on yellow plastic plates, toast wrapped in tin foil, a dead giveaway that this is take out from somewhere else! I had an omelette one morning that was too big for the little plastic plate! I even had to argue with the guy in the dining room abut getting an egg for breakfast, I was told it wasn't breakfast!

On asking for advice in regards to storing my luggage at the Railway Station over night so I could take the train to Agra, I was told without a doubt that they no longer store luggage at the railway station but the Hotel could store it for me, and I could even stay at the Hotel for another half day, at half the day rate, when I return to rest up before my flight. Well, that was a lie... the train station does store luggage!

The staff are not "Qualified & Trained Staff" as their web site states! I had nothing but problems with everyone, from getting bed sheets to food and at one point someone came to my room, knocked once and tried to come right in... good thing I bolted the door as I was just getting out of the shower (a cold shower!).

My room rate was inclusive of breakfast, but when it came time to check out I was billed for two cups of Tea. I was told breakfast does not include Tea! Whatever!

Feel free to contact me of you would like more info about the Hotel or visiting Delhi!

I was asked to come here and write a good review... there is no way I could say anything good about this Hotel! And just to qualify this review, I stayed in 4 different Hotels during my travels in India and this was not only the worst... but the worst Hotel I have EVER stayed in!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank OttawaTraveller09
Southampton
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Although situated in what was not a great area, the hotel was an oasis - friendly, attentive staff and clean rooms. It was also close to the metro, making it easy to get about without having to shout for a taxi.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends