“Disappointing and overpriced”
Review of Hotel Diplomat

Hotel Diplomat
Ranked #238 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 24 October 2011

At the time of my reservation I booked a car to pick me up at the airport and was assured by the manager that all the necessary arrangements had been made. However, when I eventually arrived in New Delhi, early in the morning after a long and tiring flight, no-one was there to meet me. I was later told at the hotel that they had no record of any car being booked.

I then found that nothing in this hotel seemed to work quite as it should. Perhaps the most annoying problems were the fact that the tv regularly cut-out and It took about 5 minutes for the water in the shower to warm up. In addition, the rooms were very noisy and you could hear other peoples alarms going off. I felt that I could never really relax.

This feeling of unease was further exacerbated when I asked if I could leave a suitcase in storage at the hotel for a couple of days whilst I was away in another part of India. I was amazed that the initial reaction was to refuse even though I would be returning for two more nights.

On the positive side the staff were friendly and the location was good. Overall, however, I would say that a lot of improvements need to be made before the management can come anywhere near to justifying the prices they charge.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Blankko

Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip. The hotel and rooms look NOTHING like the web site and I'm not sure where those pictures come from. So don't expect anything like that.

It is being renovated (apparently this has been going on for many months now) and is therefore both noisy and dusty. The first night, I had to change room late at night because of some loud mechanical noise in the room. The room phone did not work. Room amenities are poor.

Overall it was not a good stay. This hotel is not comfortable and I would not recommend it. Next time I will spend more and stay at a proper hotel.

The upside is that this hotel has a decent garden and the breakfast is quite good.

Room Tip: Find a better room at another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SODA F
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel during a business trip. The room was small but good and clean enough. They gave me a twin bed room although I came alone. The room service was bad, they forgot my order and I have to wait for two hours before I rang them to remind about my order. The breakfast was not a buffet breakfast. You have to order from the menu, so the choice and size were limited.

On the positive note, internet was free and the hotel location was good. But comparing the price with the room and service, overall I think this hotel is overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2011

The hotel is in a good part of new delhi, especially if one has work in the diplomatic Enclave. But the positives end there.

The hotel adds on charges which the guest never incurred. I saw a poor lady trying very hard to convince the desk staff (the single desk staff who is there, that is) that she did not incur some charges. while I was chekcing out the next day, surprise surprise, I was hit with some additional non-existant charges too.

They tried to stick me in one of the rooms of the 112-114 series, which is the old wing. Upon vigorous protest, they finally changed my room 4 hours after I checked in.

The rooms had no electric outlets: I had to move the bedside table to unplug the bedside lamp and plug in my adapter to that my laptop could run in the Indian system.

Now here is where they really rip off their customers: when you check out and head to the airport, they call a cab with who they have an arrangement and a cut, no doubt. The cab picks you up, but the meter is hidden by a piece of cloth. One the guest is halfway to the airport, they remove the cloth and one discovers the meter is showing 700 rupees or so already, while a drop to the airport should not cost more than 300-400 Max. They tried this with me, and I had to cough up 500 rupees. never again. Avoid this hotel; there are plenty of other hotels in this range.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We were in Delhi for 4 days and stayed at the Diplomat Hotel in Chanakyapuri. We paid Rs. 7000/- per night. We were a couple and they gave us TWIN Rooms when we mentioned we wanted a Double Room (Dont think the staff understand the difference). They told us they would shift us the following day but when approached said they were full. Like we didnt know that would be their excuse.

Mr. Thomas at the reception couldnt read our Check-in details and was asking us questions answered in the form already.

I called them us 6 times for a confirmation and they gave me verbal confirmations. I would advise anyone to look at other options which would be worth the cost. The hotel is pricey and other than location has not much to offer. People say the restaurant is good, but I beg to differ.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joelferns80
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Average room, very clean, let hot water run for several minutes to warm up. Food is great here. At end of stay have cash in hand, everyone comes to see you when you check out and expects to be tipped.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I liked the nice, contemporary design. The service in the reception was fine, but a bit slow.

The hotel restaurant served Italian food in the evening - not the best I've had, but ok. The breakfast was a bit limited, just some small items to chose from in a menu.

It was a fairly expensive stay, and overall I don't think it was worth that kind of money.

The hotel is located just next to the consulate district.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business