“Not up to standards and staff disinterested”

Piccadily Hotel New Delhi
Ranked #262 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Not up to standards and staff disinterested”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Upon checking in I was whisked up to the executive lounge (it was just 8 pm). As there were a couple others checking in, I walked over to see what evening eats were out. Nothing. I asked about the evening happy hour and was told 6 - 8 pm. This was repeated the second night at 8. On the third night at 6:30, I asked why they weren't serving and was told it was held downstairs. Gee, thanks.. I found the desk area very small and the TV was in the way when I wanted to work. I do like that the Hilton and many hotels now have the electic coverters of all different sizes right there in the wall. They have a nice pool, but again, I felt the air was too sick to go outside on my off hours. The fitness center was small, but did have nice equipment. I went into the spa and read the menu, but it didn't have a clean feel to me so I passed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank trekker954
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for taking out time and sharing your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the service provided to you did not meet with your expectations. Your constructive observation will be shared with our team and I am certain will be of great help to us.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We wish you a pleasant week ahead and look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely, Rubal Chaudhry, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
london
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were attending a wedding in New Delhi, and stayed in this hotel. Opened in 2009. Private entrance into the hotel, drive up to an impressive glass fronted hotel. Large lobby with a huge chandelier taking the pride of place. Staff are very helpful but not always great at following through with your instructions. Needed to ask a couple of times for prices of airport transfers. Nice cocktail bar in the foyer, along with an informal coffee lounge, as well as a good restaurant. Rooms are large and modern, very clean and comfortable. Metro station conveniently situated opposite the hotel,.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank toralkeshwala
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the services provided by the hotel and would like to thank you for your positive comments about your experience at Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri.

Thank you once again for your patronage of Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

I had been to the hotel last month for a company meeting for which we blocked the banquet hall, around thirty rooms and a restaurant. The reception desk was pathetic. They must have had a crash course in stone walling and acting deaf and dumb when we all were asking for our legitimate rooms. They kept us waiting for their so called senior staff to come who was unbelievably arrogant and rude. The whole meeting was affected by callous mismanagement at the hotel. At cocktails to our horror they served expired beer. Again nobody from top management came ahead to take any responsibility. Kindly check on the date on the bottle wherever you are there. I dread whenever i think of that horrible stay.

• Stayed September 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you so much for providing all necessary details.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenience this may have caused. Would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the standards that the hotel maintains and the issue has been highlighted to the concerned departments so that corrective measures can be taken.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

JAKARTA
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I have a two days trip to Delhi end of September. It's strictly business so no luxury or posh hotel, just something nice and functional and the Hilton was selected mainly because of its competitive rate and I booked a standard room with breakfast inclusive.

Arriving

I booked a hotel car and was picked up at the airport by the driver. The car was no limousine but just a simple Toyota van. Well, at least the aircon was working which is nice since I had to walk from the terminal to the car park with the driver and the weather was humid and hot. My first experience of India was the road to the hotel which was very bumpy. The trip to the hotel was interesting as my driver horn non-stop throughout the journey while steering left and right to avoid the large potholes on the road as well as to overtake other cars. Later I learned that most of the roads in India are like that and that’s the way people drive here.

The lobby of the hotel was grand and nice. Security was very tight which is the same everywhere in Delhi and my bags were taken from me for extensive screening before I can check in. On arrival, the hotel staff who checked me in proudly announced that I was upgraded to the Executive Room with free access to Executive Lounge and complimentary internet included as a perk of my Hilton Gold Status. Well, that’s good to hear after enduring a 5 hours flight and and a bumpy 45mins car ride.

The Room

The room was well… quite OK. The photos on the website looks nicer but the actual room wasn’t that much different. I think the size is about 30m2. There’s a King Bed, a working desk and a large LCD which sits on the desk and takes up a lot of space. Two sofa chairs in the room for resting and reading. The hotel provides complimentary mineral water, tea and coffee, a fruit platter and some chocolates. The bed is quite comfortable, though nothing luxurious. It’s good for a night of peaceful rest. Wired and Wireless internet provided but the wireless internet signal is not strong, and I have to use my own wireless router instead. Internet speed is reasonably fast but I won’t call that high-speed. The aircon was faulty and the temperature was set at a chilling 20 DegC which cannot be changed. I also don't like the lighting as the bedside lamp were useless ( too dim ) and the overhead spot lights blindly bright which means I can't read or browse my iPad while in the bed. Room was reasonably quiet during my stay but I suspect that’s because of the low occupancy. What’s really nice about the room is that there’s lots of universal plugs sockets to charge your stuff.

The bathroom is very small, probably no more than 6 or 7m2. Yet the hotel still managed to fit in a walk-in shower and a full size bathtub. While there is a rainshower, the water pressure is inadequate. There is no handshower which is a pet peeve of me. A big minus. Worse, the bathroom was flooded everytime I use the walk-in shower. Water leaked out from the glass door and pour into the bathroom floor after a 5 mins shower and especially bad near the toilet bowl. I have to placed the extra towels on the floor to soak up the water everytime. The bathrobes and towels are small size and looks like they have been used for years and never changed. It has that “dark stained” look as a result, kind of yucky. There’s also fairly extensive wear and tear throughout the room, a sign of poor or lack of maintenance.

The Common Areas, Club Lounge and Location

The hotel has a large over-size lobby with generous sitting areas and sofas to conduct business meetings. I didn’t tried any of the restaurants though there are many. The club lounge is small but cozy. The food served in the club lounge during evening cocktail are tiny in portions but the variety is not bad, even if the quality is lacking.

The hotel is not located in central Delhi, which explained the lower rates. Nearby there is a dilapidated looking mall with some shops and restaurants. I was there on business and most of the time, I was outside so I was not really bothered by the location. There’s a subway station right opposite the hotel. The surroundings are well... very local Indian.

The Service

Well, I should credit the hotel staff for at least trying to provide good service. The staff always greeted me politely and try to be helpful. The lounge staff are especially friendly and courteous. However, efficiency can be improved. It took me almost 20 mins to settle my hotel bill due to some errors and inconsistency between my original booking and the billing in the hotel. Fortunately I settled my bill the evening prior to departure. I did complain about the flooding problem in my bathroom which the staff took note and apologize but then didn’t follow up or do anything to solve the problem. Next time, if you want to ask your guest for feedback, please prepare at least to make an effort to address the complaint by some action.

Conclusion

The Hilton is a decent choice for a short business trip. It’s reasonably well equipped for business travelers but there are too many small faults here and there for me to really recommend it. So I will just rate it an average 3 out of 5.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank BENLEE123
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you once again for staying with us. We hope you will give us another try on your next trip to Delhi.

Georgia
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Very nice hotel with courteous staff members. The selection of drinks and food at the lounge during happy hour was very good. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was glad to hear that the facilities provided on our Executive floor were able to meet your expectations. Thank you once again for your patronage of Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri. We hope to be of service to you again in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

When we arrived and checked in no-one even greeted us, they were to engrossed looking at their computers.
The swimming pool was closed when we arrived and I had to have massive arguments with 3 separate managers before I could get a clear answer about when it would be open. I was told it would be "open in 4 hours" but it was still closed when I left a day later. The managers where rude and arrogant.
The people in the spa spoke poor English, when I asked them a question they just said "yes" even though it was clear they had no idea what I was asking.
As a family we had booked 3 rooms and in all of the rooms there were complimentary items missing, (and they forgot to refill the tea/coffee tray). The bath robes were ripped and in poor condition. There was no complimentary shower gel which is pretty tacky for a 5* hotel.
The showers were AWFUL, the water just dribbles out the shower head.
I was also annoyed that room service didn't deactivate the alarm on the clock meaning that on my first morning I was woken up at 5.30am.

When we asked at reception about the distance to a nearby restaurant the receptionist said "there is no way you can walk" whilst the concierge said "it is easily within walking distance". You could not get a straight answer out of any of these guys.

The waiters were pretty useless, they couldn't even pour tea out a pot without dribbling it all over the table and they kept taking our cutlery away without giving us a fresh set.

In summary management staff were arrogant and the rest of the staff where pretty incompetent. I would really not recommend this hotel at all, regardless of whether your stay is for business or pleasure. During our stay in India we stayed in 5 hotels and everyone in my family (6 people, with 4 grown-up children) agreed that this hotel was by far the worst. If you are staying in Delhi I really recommend Le Meridien because we stayed there for 2 nights and it was absolutely excellent. (the staff where so friendly and respectful and the breakfast buffet was awesome). On the last day of our stay at the Hilton the staff tried to make amends for their awful service after our repeated complaints but by that time we where too annoyed for it to have any real impact.

I've also just remembered that the internet (which you had to pay for) kept turning off and unsurprisingly the staff where not in the least concerned.
Also, the location is not very good. It is in a fairly dreary and boring part of Delhi.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Arv99
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us is highly appreciated and the time taken to provide me with these details is of utmost importance to us. We are so sorry for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the service provided to you did not meet with your expectations. The different service gaps that you identified during your stay are very concerning especially how our teams handle certain situations.

Although we are a large hotel operation, guest satisfaction is a high priority for us, an area that we repeatedly train on and follow up, in an effort to sustain a high level of service throughout the hotel and allow travellers such as yourself, have a pleasant but also productive and hustle free stay. Your valid points will be shared with our team and I am certain will be of great help to us.

Once again thank you for highlighting the issues to us. We hope to see you back at the hotel soon so that you are able to judge our commitment to excellence yourself.

San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
Reviewed 23 September 2011

After a long road trip our welcome was an upgrading to an executive floor room derived apparently from my HHonors membership. From then on, the friendly and efficient service received from all the staff: entrance, front desk, housekeeping, and with a special mention, the executive lounge, was always impeccable. The amenities of the room and the décor of the property are amazing. Now, there is a new Hilton in Delhi, but if I return to this city it will be hard to decide booking the new one instead of returning to this property. It will not be easy to exceed the outstanding service and ambiance of the Hilton Janakpuri.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mlgtrips
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the facilities and services provided by the hotel. Feedback such as yours helps to further meet and exceed the expectations of our guests and we greatly appreciate it.