“Disappointing return stay.”

Ranked #331 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Disappointing return stay.”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in the past a few times, and normally have quite a wonderful experience staying at this hotel, and have even written some glowing reviews. Unfortunately, my last stay left me feeling quite cold about the hotel, and I checked out early to move to a different hotel.

I am a Hilton Hhonors Diamond Guest, so in a hotel like this, that rarely has a 100% occupancy as it is in India, it is normal to receive an upgrade of one level in room type. In the past, I have actually just booked their Hilton Suite at the full rate, but this time, I decided to check out what their Junior Suite would be like, as I will have friends coming to stay in Dehli, and wanted to know which room may suite them.

So I booked an executive room, and was given the upgrade to the Junior Suite as is normal for Diamond guest in a hotel without full occupancy. The Junior Suite although spacious, had a pretty bad view, and I decided to enquire about moving to the Hilton Suite like I had stayed before.

I figured that by moving up one room category-- to the Junior Suite, I would then be able to get my Diamond upgrade one level to the Hilton Suite, which is what would have happened if I had just booked the Junior Suite to start with.

To my surprise, the executive lounge attendant, told me I would have to pay the full normal Hilton Suite rate, to move to the Hilton Suite, foregoing any Diamond upgrade. This seemed strange, considering If I had originally booked the Junior Suite, I would have been upgraded anyway.

I then spoke to a duty manager, who seemed to understand that I felt that by moving up to the Junior Suite room rate, I could move to the Hilton Suite, and get my Diamond upgrade benefit. He then offered my an upgrade fee rate that was higher than the room rate I would have paid for a Junior Suite.

For me, it wasn't so much about the price, but it was the lack of hospitality that was showed to a return guest, that has had some friends in the past stay with me in the hotel, and also stayed myself several times, and spent quite a reasonable amount of money with the hotel. The benefit I was asking for would have been given complimentary from the beginning if I had booked the junior suite, without any extra charge, and as the hotel wasn't full, I couldn't understand why I couldn't just move up my rate plan one category to the junior suite, and then get the upgrade I was entitled to.

This experience completely tarnished my previously very excellent feeling about this hotel. I have experienced much better service of this kind at many other Hilton hotels, that have much higher occupancy, and they were very accommodating, and didn't give the sense of just trying to get an extra 500, 0r 1,000 rupees out of you for no real reason. I was really surprised that the Janakpuri hotel even tried this.

The Junior suite I stayed in for the one night before cutting short my stay and checking out, was also disappointing. The glass between the bathroom and room, was quite dirty, with a lot of marks. The walls near the floor were also quite grubby, with strange red marks. The wall plaster also looked like it was moldy and buckling / crumbling, and this room was of a standard of maintenance that was quite different from my previous stays (perhaps as it was because the room wasn't on an executive floor.) The shower was also very terrible, and had very low water pressure, and didn't spray evenly out of the rain shower head. This was also not what I had experienced in the last few stays in executive floor rooms.

It seemed that there were a lot of new staff at the hotel, and the magic service seemed to have gone some what. Jyoti at breakfast was still there, and amazing as always, and Bhavika(?), in the bar still made the best cocktails. There was also one other lady from the reception / Front office who was also very charming and welcoming as always, but I can't remember her name. She took some photos of me near the flowers.

The new Executive Lounge attendant was too inexperienced for her role in my mind. Also the evening canapes were of a lower standard than previously.

The lobby the hotel still look very nice, but the lifts, and hallways on the non executive floors are definitely starting to show wear and tear, and need some maintenance.

I would still recommend this hotel overall, as the service is still very good, but just don't expect any special treatment for being a loyal or return guest.

The Pomodoro Italian restaurant is exceptional, some of the best Italian you will eat in Asia : )

Finally, didn't appreciate the concierge trying to tell me my luggage wouldn't fit into a standard taxi, when I had used several standard taxi's in the few days prior to move the same amount of luggage-- just another push at an upsell that wasn't appreciated by me at all, as I enjoy to meet and talk to local drivers.

Not sure if I will be using this hotel again in future when I need to stay in Dehli after my last stay. The sad thing is, that the locations and overall standard of all the Hilton Hotels in Dehli really just don't match up to what you expect internationally : ( Perhaps will have to forget about the points and on property benefit and stay at a non Hilton hotels in India.

Room Tip: Executive Floor rooms seem better maintained
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BMOL
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for your candid review, providing all necessary details. We sincerely regret the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay and it was not as per your expectations this time.

I have discussed your concern in depth with my team. We recognise the value of your business and have taken your feedback with utmost seriousness.

Thank you for your compliments towards our food and services. We hope to see you back at the hotel during your next visit to Delhi, so that you are able to restore your confidence in us.

Sincerely, Rubal Chaudhry, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Edenvale, South Africa
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed everything about this hotel, the restaurants, cocktail lounge, live music at dinner and room service. The service was second to none, a few people worth mentioning for their outstanding service are people like Divya from customer relations, Renuka Kumari from the exec lounge and Jay from the Indian restaurant. Thank you guys for the outstanding work.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Vishen N
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed the services provided and appreciate your positive comments about your experience at Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri.

Thank you and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The hotel scores in certain areas and misses the mark in others- its is well designed in a comparatively small area but the location takes away from the charm. The rooms are well appointed, the service is excellent and the ambience is cosy. The restaurant offers an amazing array of food, but many of the items are not in the 5-star class. For example, the breakfast and lunch buffets are extensive but the main courses disappoint in taste and flavour. We had a pool facing room on the executive floor and the attention to details was impeccable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amrita_12_11
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi Janakpuri

We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about the hotel. It is a pleasure knowing that you enjoyed the services provided by the hotel. I have personally addressed the areas of concerns highlighted by your good self.

Thank you once again for your feedback. Hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We had an excellent stay at Hilton janakpuri. Staff members such as Divya were very friendly to us and eventually became like family to us. She always attended to our needs and ensured we had a plesent stay. The rooms were neat and up to standards of a five star hotel. Keep it up.

Room Tip: Corner suits
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ash16veer
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/ Janakpuri

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the services provided by the hotel and would like to thank you for your positive comments about your experience at Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri. These are certainly going to be very encouraging and motivating for the team.

We hope to be of service to you again in the not too distant future.

Liverpool
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Upon attending the janakpuri hotel to use the spa facilities, although my son had a accident in the hotel the hotels staff made great amends, they really cared and looked after us, they attended us to the hospital, they paid for a percentage of the fees they sorted transport and even visited us at our hotel were we were residing baring gifts for the child and assisted us with our check in to return to the UK I'd like to personally thank Mr Rubal Chaudhary and his team especially the spa manager mr Rana for their assistance. I'd like the personally thank mr Chaudhary for opening my eyes to the great service and after care they provided. The service, facilities and staff at this hotel are fantastic and I will stay at the hotel in the future I would highly recommend this hotel to any one visiting New Delhi

A big Thank you you Hilton hotel janak puri from the entire singh family Liverpool United Kingdom.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Dev-singh1
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you so much for your words of appreciation. We greatly value feedback such as yours that helps to further meet and exceed the expectations of our guests.

We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Managers and staff were very rude ! The quality which u get in a. 5 star is really not there worst 5 star ever plz dnt goo ! Location is very bad i dnt knw how its even a 5 star! Managers dsnt knw english ! The room is cheaper because the hotel is not at all good !

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank NoniT912
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the standards that the hotel maintains. Our associates take pride in servicing our valued customers.

Your feedback has been shared with the executive team of the hotel and we assure you of our best moving forward.

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Sangli, India
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Hotel looked rundown. Thought it was going to be closed down. Service was poor.we ordered for barbeque chicken sandwich .after alot of delay a veg sandwich was delivered . We asked about the chicken . The staff couldn't understand english. After much hassel boiled chicken was sent and we were told to put the chicken in that sandwich. This type of service was given often.rooms were not made inspite of telling.
Even the bathroom amenities were recycled. The showercap was repacked and the bag was stapled!
There were a very few good people but they were outnumbered by the bad ones.
But overall worst fivestar hotel

• Stayed December 2012
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

On behalf of our entire team here at the Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri, we apologise for the inconvenience and experience you had at our hotel.

I have shared your valuable feedback with the concerned head of departments and assure you of our commitment in resolving the same. Inconvenience caused is one again regretted, we truly hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.