“If you like a hot shower steer clear of this place..........!!!”
Review of Hotel Le Roi

Hotel Le Roi
Ranked #136 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Glenelg East SA Australia
“If you like a hot shower steer clear of this place..........!!!”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We did our homework, TA reviews said it was okay, great location - but we knew that having shopped in Mein Bazaar earlier that week. We got in quite late, flight was delayed from Goa. We checked in, were given rooms on 4th floor, facing the laneway and no blinds, just a light material curtain and we all just wanted a quick shower and then head to the market for last minute shopping.

That was the first downfall of Hotel Le Roi. NO HOT WATER.....

As the man who took us up to the room explained, no problem - run the water for 10 minutes (kicks in after that maybe???)... Little did we know my sister and her husband had already tried that trick and NO, it did not work.

But they persisted, 25 minutes later, water temperature was still cold, not even tepid.

They eventually 'upgraded' us. I still argue the rooms we ended up with on the first floor were the ones we booked and should have gotten anyway, quieter and nicer decor but anyway, I digress.

These rooms were nicer BUT still NO HOT WATER.... None of us managed to have even close to a warm or tepid shower that night or the next morning....

Both rooms had called reception and told the person about this problem, apparently just because you send someone to fix it, it IS fixed, ah no mate! It was not fixed.

Anyway, breakfast was pretty ordinary, I am basing that opinion on similar places we stayed at in New Delhi and other parts of India on this trip and not sure of the cleanliness of the cutlery etc either quite frankly.

We had an early start so checked out at 9am. We had booked a van to take all four of us to the airport and had a long argument with the man at reception (the same one from the night before) about no hot water - he said why didn't you tell us, excuse me, we did tell you, several times in fact!

Bottom line was his argument was the hot water was 'coming'. Well that is not any use to us, we have checked out....

In their defence they did waive the cost of the van to the airport but sorry, we won't be recommending Hotel Le Roi to anyone we know - go to Hotel Godwin Deluxe they are brilliant compared to this place!!!

Room Tip: Avoid Hotel Le Roi if you like having a warm or hot shower which well most of us do!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel is located quite close to the railway station and the metro, which makes it more convenient if you're trying to catch an early train. The room was quite clean (definitely something to look forward to after walking around in delhi). However, there were some problems with the plumbing, what with the hot water always being on no matter which way we turned turned the tap and the water pressure of the shower always being too low.

Service was alright, the people at the reception were quite friendly and they have a resident "travel guide" who offers some advice for free(such as how to get to the nearest metro, and a map of the surrounding area etc. which can be a relief if it's your first day in Delhi), and who also tries to sell you some of his services (such as offering car rental for the other parts of your journey in India).

Breakfast, if your choose to opt for it when booking the hotel, is pretty good and consists of a buffet with some Indian food as well as the usual cornflakes and milk etc. They do also cook omelettes for you.

Bring earplugs lest you get disturbed by the incessant honking just outside the hotel at 2am in the morning.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed in the Hotel Le Roi last month and I must tell you that it was a lovely stay. The staff at the hotel was very pleasant and took care of me. The Airport pickup was ontime and during the entire stay they served me well. For the current price offering, I would recommend this hotel to everyone. My special thanks to Mohammad at the front desk. He was very helpful and nice. Thanks you guys!

Akhtar

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was a single female traveller, first time to India for me, but I should have booked 5 star in Delhi, the surroundings look horrific & it can get quiet noisy, but the bookings were done, & the hotel is clean & neat inside, although 2 nights I had cold water problem, I complained to management & they always sent someone junior to help me, by the third night I again had cold water, i went to reception putting up a performance to get attention, because the hotel was taking advantage of me, I complained to a Mohammed who disappeared because his shift was over, the management never took the time to find out if I was okay, very poor service, its not situated in an idealic place, I couldn't walk outside late at night, so like I suggest if u're first time in india, try & book 5 star in Delhi, & management for Hotel Le Roi, don't bother replying to my review, not interested!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PrettyP1979
USA
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was a single woman traveling alone when I stayed at Hotel Le Roi a few weeks ago. I have video footage of my stay because my sister asked me to vlog while I was out there. Here's a link http://youtu.be/_D08SbvZOh0

Basically, to summarize

PROS
1. The inside of the hotel is similar to what you might find at a 3 or 4 star hotel in the US. It's clean, well lit and quite frankly an overwhelmingly refreshing break from the chaos that is daily life in India

2. There's a restaurant next door that is staffed with what must be some of the friendliest people on the planet. I've never felt so well attended to at any restaurant in the world (and I'm not exaggerating).

3. It's one street away from the main bazaar which was such a blessing to me because God knows I did not want to get on public transportation by myself (yes, i'm a scaredy cat like that haha)

4. The travel desk is super awesome! I made friends with Sameer and Rafik and they were like brothers to me in a matter of minutes. They helped me navigate the Bazaar, called Taxis when i needed them, set up my trip to the Taj Mahal. The whole 9 yards. Definitely stop by the travel desk and talk to them. They were really nice to me.

CONS
1. The rooms are not standardized. Some rooms are significantly nicer than the others. I know this because I traveled to Hyderabad for a few days and when I came back, I was placed in a different room from what is shown in this video (http://youtu.be/_D08SbvZOh0).

The room in the video is vastly superior to the room I got the second time around. I promptly asked them to move me to a better room and they obliged. So basically, if you get a room you don't like tell them to move you to a different room.

2. The room service menu is very limited and the folks that answer the room service line don't speak the best English in the world. This turned out to be a good thing for me because it forced me to go out and buy food instead of hiding in my room for fear of food poisoning :)

3. Remember the restaurant next door that I mentioned before? Yeah I think it's a little pricey (for India). An average meal would easily run you 700 - 800 rupees which is about US$12 - US$14.

All in all, I'd highly recommend Hotel Le Roi. If I'm back in Delhi anytime soon, I would definitely consider staying there again. Hope you enjoy my goofy tour of my hotel room. Leave me a comment on YouTube if you want any additional insight on my experience there - http://youtu.be/_D08SbvZOh0

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor and stay away from the ones in the corners of the hallway (i thin...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kola O
LeRoi2, General Manager at Hotel Le Roi, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review about Le Roi New Delhi.

Warm regards.
Indore
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed wirh our family in le roi in the first week of Feb. It is a clean modern and centrally located near to new delhi railway station. Breakfast was good specially pancakes. We will definitely stay in le roI in our next visit to Delhi.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank sanjeetasaluja
Pune, India
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This place is value for money. The reception staff was very helpful and cooperative.The room is nicely kept. Ambiance is very good. The bed and other furniture was comfortable. The staff was always helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple