“Home from home”
Review of Amaaya

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amaaya
Ranked #63 of 1,075 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed for 3 nights with Ruuma at her wonderful home after a 2 week tour of southern India, I had spent a long time reading reviews before I booked, as I was a solo female traveller, somewhere safe and homely was really important, and I couldn't have made a better choice than to stay at Avaaya. Ruuma is a beautiful and inspiring person, so welcoming, warm and a breath of fresh air in the bustle and craziness of Delhi. She couldn't do more to help make me feel at home, and to take full advantage of my short stay in the capital. Her home is beautiful, the food is fantastic, freshly prepared and all organic, I've truly missed it since being back in the UK. The apartment is fantastically placed to see the sights and in a great neighbourhood, Nizamuddin East is wonderfully calm and quiet compared to the rest of the city and so close to Humayum's Tomb. I arranged a trip to Agra via a travel agency and Ruuma organised a delicious lunch for me to take along, and bottles of Himalayan spring water with lemon, and after I gave her an extensive list of places I wanted to see on my 1 days tour of Delhi, she organised a driver and an itinerary including a fantastic thali lunch. Be warned though, I did get some very funny looks when I had to say no to extra helpings! :) I would definitely recommend Ruuma and her fantastic B&B to anyone travelling in India, I hope that we remain in contact for many years.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Maine, United States
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It was my first trip to India and I was traveling solo. I had prepared myself for what was indeed a hectic arrival. Ruuma had arranged for a driver to pick me up at the airport and deposit me at her lovely home in the Nizamuddin East area of Delhi. Amaaya is as lovely as it looks on Rumma's wonderful website. It is cozy and filled with beautiful art. The huge windows open out on to trees and birds. In the morning you can hear the call to prayer from a mosque nearby. Breakfast is really great, with a light omelet and perhaps some dal. In the evening for a small fee you may also enjoy a dinner the likes of which you would be hard-pressed to find an equal. Silvie makes the most delicious dal and chipatis lighter than air - and her chai masala.... Ruuma has her own filtration system, so there is always a bottle of fresh water waiting for you in your room. Ruuma is also very adept at helping you make your travel plans, getting you all set with a driver for the day and making suggestions for the sight seeing challenged first-timer to Delhi. Amaaya is very small and intimate and the perfect place to get centered.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed for over a month at Amaaya on a research stay and had a wonderful time. Ruuma was not only kind and helpful but made me feel at home and part of the family. She helped organize many little details such as obtaining a SIM card, renting a car, a paper subscription, and weekend trips. Amaaya is a beautiful place to rest after a long day in the streets and traffic of Delhi. It also turned out to be a great place to do some work as the rooms are quiet and confortable. The neighbourhood is an oasis in busy Delhi and ideally located.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank castorhi
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Amaaya's guesthouse is located in a lovely, quiet area of Delhi, very close to the Nizamuddin train station and Humayun's tomb. Amaaya is a spacious flat on an upper floor of an apartment building that includes access to a serene and lovely rooftop garden. The owner, Ruuma, resides in this flat and, with her staff, makes Amaaya a truly lovely place to stay.

The whole flat is beautifully decorated (Ruuma is a professional designer), with antique pieces and art. Ruuma greeted us after a tiring day of travel with comfy slippers at the front door. The bedrooms are private, each with its own modern bathroom. Hot water for showers is plentiful. Ruuma's staff provides a delicious breakfast (we had an omelette with fresh herbs, chai masala, toast, and natural fruit preserves). Guests can also order additional meals for a reasonable fee. There is plentiful potable water from an in-house water filtration system. There was wireless internet access. The whole flat is quiet, comfortable, and clean. Given how loud and busy Delhi is, a stay at Amaaya is a true respite.

I should also say that Ruuma went above and beyond to help us when our travel arrangements fell through. We HIGHLY recommend staying with Ruuma at Amaaya!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MG702
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed eleven nights at Amaaya in January 2014 and felt immediately very welcome. Ruuma is kind and helpful, but not intrusive. The rooms are beautifully furnished, and as Delhi is a little chilly during Winter evenings, there was an electric heater in my room. The home has a relaxed ambience. The area is inhabited by upper (middle) class families and is safe and clean. I had the best morning walks of my life through the park to Humayuns tomb. It was also very easy to take a riksha to the nearest metro or market. Next time in Delhi, I will stay at Amaaya's and I strongly recommend it to everybody!
Christina

Room Tip: Both rooms are beautiful and have a balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Punavuorenkatu
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was an excellent place to spend our first couple of days in India. Ruuma took great care of us arranging a car to collect us from the airport, providing us with a delicious breakfast and a packed meal for our train journey to Agra. She organised a car to take us round the sights of Delhi, including a lunch stop for a super tasty and filling thali, which was a great and gentle introduction to the city. Our room was very comfortable, quiet and clean and her home is in a lovely quiet part of Delhi, but within walking distance of the beautiful Humayun's tomb, one of the highlights of Delhi. Highly recommended and if we do return to Delhi we'll be sure to make a repeat reservation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sazora
Reviewed 3 January 2014

For anyone nervous about visiting Delhi (I am one of those and I have stayed in the city a number of times now), I would strongly recommend Amaaya and its location in South Delhi. Amaaya is located in a quiet residential enclave. Although very close to Hazrat Nizamuddin station (handy for trains to Ranthambhore), Amaaya feels like a peaceful retreat from the noise of the city.

The room was delightful, beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and with quite extraordinary attention to detail (including fresh flowers from the rooftop garden). The owner, Ruuma, could not have been more helpful or charming - from her speedy and friendly email replies to her advice on places to visit. A first class breakfast included the best masala omelette I have eaten in India and fantastic home made (by Ruuma) jams with toast. There's wifi in the rooms, too.

Just in case you are dog phobic, Ruuma has a Lhasa Apso. However, he looks like a small bear and behaves like a cuddly teddy and felt like an unexpected additional perk of the stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends