“A very good choice of lodging”
Review of Wood Castle

Wood Castle
Ranked #15 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Montreal, Canada
“A very good choice of lodging”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Our group is just back from spending 4 nights at the Wood Castle and we are thrilled with our choice. Good price, modern and clean Rooms, Very helpfull staff. The food was very fine.
This is an excellent choice when you want something at a reasonable cost without reducing the quality of the lodging.
Would go back to that hotel without any hesitation!!

Room Tip: We had a room with a king size bed and were pleased with the choice
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Arabic first
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel (we stayed 6 days). We had stayed in several other hotels throughout northern India that were double the price, and were half as clean and friendly as this hotel. As far as what westerners expect from a hotel, this one has it. Super clean, great facilities, hot showers, basic but satisfactory free breakfast, AWESOME staff Friendly and helpful speaks good English..If you need any help with transport, trips or itineraries there is a chap called hassan who will help you out with questions. He were incredibly helpful and polite. It's in a nice location that is probably relatively quiet compared to other areas in New Delhi. The metro stop is just a couple blocks away, and even when coming back at night we felt pretty safe.

Room Tip: We stayed 201 it was beautiful room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The best thing about Wood Castle was the quiet. I've never stayed in such a quiet place in a big city in India. The rooms are very comfortable (even electric blankets in winter!), and hot water plentiful.However there are some doubles that are smallish and have no window. It is only about a 7 minute walk to either of two metro stations, but I think for a short stay in Delhi of a few days I would have preferred something more central. Also, their "tour guy" was a bit pressing about it. Not unusual in India of course, but still, after the chaos of the city, I really want somewhere to retreat to for peace. In general though the staff are friendly and helpful. They did get a bit confused about our booking, but when we insisted we really did need two rooms when our fourth person arrived, all was well.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a window if it matters to you.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The managers have been incredibly friendly and had helped me with all my needs.
When I got here I was sick with the Indian malady, they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at home. I have been treated like family.
One of the managers Javiet knows a lot about India and has given me sound advise about what other places I can visit in India, he also arranged my transport to go visit places of interest in New Delhi.
My room was spotless, the hotel is very clean, and the food feels like home cooking, even though I do not cook Indian at home, I live in New York City.
Used to the best by being a New York City Girl I can say that this has been an excellent experience which was in a way surprising considering the hotel is not expensive for the amenities and the warmth of the people that tend it.
Do not hesitate booking here next time you come to New Delhi.
I will most certainly come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

A group of 13 of us stayed at Woodcastle. We started our Indian journey there and after travelling, ended our journey there.
We were a lucky group that had pickup from the airport arranged by the hotel, and even them along for the journey. We were greeted with fresh flower necklaces, and drinks for the journey to the hotel. This was a perfect way to start off the trip, and got us all excited for what was to come.
All of the staff were so helpful. They were all happy to help with all of our luggage as soon as we got there.
I was quite anxious about the food i would be able to eat as i'm vegetarian and gluten free, but Woodcastle was excellent and even when there wasn't much on the breakfast menu for me to choose, they said they would go out and get me anything i liked! Fresh fruits, yogurt and honey! Everything on the main menu was perfect and no problem to choose from if you have dietary requirements. Infact, some of the food i had here, was the best i had in India, and we travelled around!!
The rooms were lovely and everything was so clean!
They made us feel so welcome, it really did begin to feel like our home in India.
I'll definitely will be going back and encourage anyone thinking of booking to do it! You wont be let down!

Room Tip: The double rooms are big enough two friends in without knowing there is someone else in the bed!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carla S
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our first hotel in India and well located in a quiet(ish) part of Delhi. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and relaxed especially hassan . Lots of great places to eat nearby and interesting place to just wander around and look at life in Delhi. The hotel organised a driver with good language skills, a sense of humor who knew his way around. Delhi was eight kinds of crazy but strangely endearing. Would stay at Wood Castle again. We had a room at the back of the hotel which was cool and quiet.Awesome hotel and look forward to visiting again

Room Tip: Ask room 103 very quit and beautiful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I just returned from a trip to India, January 21 to February 21, 2014. The general purpose was to visit my son who is into his 15 month of a 2 year bicycle trip of Asia. I flew into Delhi to meet him and needed a soft landing into what can be quite a change from Canada. Anyway, we did some research and, looking at the very good reviews offered by people of the Woodcastle, decided this would very adequately suit my requirements. One being. a nice hotel at a reasonable price. So we went ahead and booked 4 nights, and costs were within my budget. People give good reviews when they are generally getting what they expect to receive, hence my title. Certainly for the most part, this hotel met my expectations. I was spending the last 3 days of my lndia visit back in Delhi and figured that I could just as well spend the last 2 nights at the Woodcastle. l assumed that l would be able to rebook at the rate that l had originally been given when l booked at Expedia. This should have been good for both of us. The rate offered was at a higher one, nothing more to be done. Oh well, maybe there are things l do not understand.
Anyway, what were my over all impressions of the Woodcastle, I would say good. My negative comments would be as follows (sorry, guys):
1. The room we were in had no windows to the outside, weird? Therefore the room was very humid after we took showers; this, coupled with the extreme humidity that Delhi was experiencing in late January, the humidity did not dissipate readily. This was a little uncomfortable, okay big baby or what!
2. Positively, the room although quite small, was comfortable. Room service, when requested, was good.
3. As others have noted, services like excursions, guided or otherwise, pushed a little too much. When refused, it seemed to cause some annoyance. Come on, guys, not everyone needs these services. In our case, my son had been here before and proved to be a very good guide for me. Our business to you, being our rental of your room.
Okay, pretty good review. Would l recommend this place? Yes l would, but keep in mind it is what you get for what you pay. For a budget hotel it is good. It's rating. no. 12 out of 592 Delhi hotels, hmmmm okay. I stayed in a "pretty fancy hotel" my last 2 nights in Delhi, it's rating 102 out of 592, oh yeah. It's like I say what are your expectations? By the way, my fancy Delhi hotel was quite fabulous, price actually quite reasonable by comparison.
Anyway enjoy India, it is certainly an assault on your senses.

Room Tip: Here, request something with windows that open to somewhere!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family