Wood Castle
The Leela Palace New Delhi(New Delhi)
US$278
Priceline
US$129
US$116
  • Breakfast included
Taj Mahal Hotel(New Delhi)
US$216
Taj Hotels
US$219
US$152
US$38
US$32
Priceline
1,164 results
All reviewskarol baghhot waterindian breakfastmetro stationtaxi driverquiet streetclean roomsresidential areano liftfirst stophome from homereception areatrain ticketschaitravel agentgreat hospitalitybudget hotel
Reviewed 18 April 2010

This place isn't easy to find so make sure you print the map from their website. It's easier to look for the Suncourt Yatri hotel which has a large sign that's visible from the main Pusa Road. The alley to Wood Castle is right next to that hotel. The alley looks like a building site, but don't be put off - Wood Castle is new and well decorated inside and there was no noise when I was there.

The owners like to create a family atmosphere and I was amazed at the warm welcome I received when I returned here at the end of my trip. I was particularly grateful for the effort they made to help me settle in when I first arrived, sharing their dinner with me. Indeed some people might find the friendliness a bit too much.

The rooms were spotless and nicely decorated. I even got upgraded to a super deluxe room for one night. The air con was quiet and there was a heater that you turned on for a hot shower. Reception is downstairs, with some sofas and a dining table. I'm not sure what happens if everyone wants to eat at the same time.

I didn't have much food in the hotel, but what I did have was tasty. Make sure you allow enough time for breakfast - it took quite a while which made me slightly anxious when I wanted to catch a plane. I had to wake the staff who were still sleeping in reception at 8am and breakfast took another hour to arrive. Then the taxi I'd booked got fed up waiting and left without me but this wasn't the hotel's fault. They arranged a replacement which came within 15 mins. (It was Rs500 for a taxi to the airport and the ride took almost an hour).

It's a nice touch that tea/coffee/water and the internet is free. There are plenty of shops nearby for other snacks and the main market street is only 10 mins walk. Similarly it's not far to the Metro, which is the best way to get around. A ticket to Connaught Place costs Rs10 and takes about 10 mins in air conditioned comfort (unless you go during the rush hour). There's also a guy who can book other hotels, tours and trips for you and he'll be able to get better rates than if you arrange things yourself.

Amazingly EVERY other guest at the hotel was there because of tripadvisor. This website really works. Wood Castle is a good value hotel with a very warm welcome in a convenient area of Delhi. It would suit anyone who needs a no frills base from which to explore.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank paulofalus
Reviewed 16 April 2010

After spending 8 hours on a train from the Punjab, with my two young boys (9 & 7) and the hectic delhi train station etc, this hotel was like a breath of fresh air ( literally!!) made to feel extremely welcome, they ushered my tired children downstairs and offered them cold drinks, while they took our luggage up to our room, check in was a breeze, and offered tea, biscuits etc, explained we could use interent free etc. showed our room, it was spotless, lovely bathroom, amazing air con, good choice of cable tv.
My booking was originally made for 1 adult & 2 children, but due to a change in plan my cousin accompanied us for the train journey and would stay the night as well and then see us off at the airport the next day, the staff did not mind at all, that there was an extra person and did not charge the 500 rupees!!!
The owner was very hospitable along with the manager, in all it was a brief but very enjoyable stay. I will definately be seeking this hotel out next time I visit New Delhi!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Ravi F
Reviewed 11 April 2010

a very good place. people are very nice, got the impression that they really care for us. taxi was waiting on time in the airport. room was nice, food great. managment very reliable and friendly. my child felt at home and so did we. checked out very early in the morning, again - taxi was on time and one of the owners was waiting for us, helping us with bags and saying good bye. a uniqe experience of a warm hospitality in delhi

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank talyoga
Reviewed 8 April 2010

After the chaos and general trickery that accompany India, this has to be one of the best hotels I have ever been to across the world. Rajesh and his co-managers are very friendly and warm and always willing to help. The room was in excellent condition and at less than Rs2,000 a night it was a bargain! I stayed nine nights here and if I ever head back I will definately take up Rajesh's offer to stay again. The internet is free and the food is great.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank StephenTCape
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We stayed for one night - I echo the other reviews on here. Its nicer than many hotels in Delhi seem to be. Staff are friendly and free internet is a plus. Room quite clean, but air conditioning and fan are loud - you come to expect this in mid-range hotels. I see no reason why I would not return to this hotel if I came back to Delhi. One tip, book your own taxis (there are plenty around and the hotel will charge double the going rate).

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple