“Home Away From Home”
Review of Tree Tops

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tree Tops
Ranked #37 of 1,095 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I recently had a 5 night stay at the Tree Tops. In the lead-up to my arrival I had a lot of changes to my plans and Tannie was very accommodating. For the first 3 nights I stayed in a bright upstairs room with a nice rooftop terrace, but then had to move downstairs to a connected house the last 2 nights. All the rooms were very clean, with water, tea service and fridge provided. The house is lovely and filled with interesting art and antiques.
The location was excellent, very close to the Hauz Khas metro stop on the yellow line which takes you to many of the main tourist attractions (without transfers) and the charming Hauz Khas Village is a close rickshaw (or long walk) away.
Tania and Murad were exceptional hosts! You really feel like a member of the family. We had great conversations at breakfast and Tannie made sure you were well taken care of as far as getting around the city, making plans for sight seeing, going to Agra, etc… The other guests that I met were also lovely and we often found ourselves in Tannie and Murad's living room in the evening for a chat.
All in all I would highly recommend the Tree Tops and am looking forward to another stay on my next trip to Delhi.

Room Tip: Recommend one of the upstairs rooms which are bright and airy with a nice shared terrace.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed one night at Tree tops and I fell in love with this place. Once you are inside you feel literary on tree tops surrounded only by greenness. Locations is very good in a walking distance from Hauz Khas Metro station. House is perfectly maintained and beautifully decorated with an excellent taste. Rooms are spotlessly clean and very comfortable. A/C, fans, toilets and wi-fi works perfectly. Murad and Tannie are great host and they have an impressive collection of books. I'm very glad that I met these nice people, and I learned a lot from our interesting conversations. They also give as a lift on the way to department store and helped with itinerary, arranged the taxi to the airport with the best driver. Tannie said: "It is not a hotel, it is home", and it is true. In short, I'm very grateful and definitely will go back someday.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Nanjing, China
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Tannie and Murad were welcoming hosts during our stay in New Delhi. Their home provided a welcome relief after a day of sightseeing in the hussle and bussle of Delhi. Tannie cooked an amazing dinner for us on one of our nights. Both of them have traveled extensively throughout India and are willing and able to pass on their recommendations for future travel. We stayed in both 'tree top' rooms during our visit and both are well equipped, clean and have a wonderful outlook onto the terrace and surrounding parks and greenery. We would thoroughly recommend Tree Tops to any visiter to New Delhi.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Tannie and Murad were very welcoming hosts. We really enjoyed the home atmosphere and the homemade breakfasts with chats around the table. Tannie and Murad have traveled all over India and the world so they are wonderful sources of advice and stories. Murad is an author of several historical books and Tannie is a cookbook author so they have lots of interesting tidbits to share. The home itself is quite beautiful with plants all over to make it feel green and airy (a rarity in Delhi!). It's a short tuk tuk ride over to Hauz Khas Village, which quickly became my favorite neighborhood in Delhi with its hip restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques and bars. The price of the rooms is very fair also. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jaisalmer
Reviewed 18 June 2013

we stayed again in treetops, because we love it! we can't imagine to stay anywhere else than at tannie and murad. it's a wonderful place. it's an oasis in a big city. calming and relaxing.
and our hosts are very helpful, lovely and interesting people, with a great knowledge.

the rooms are beautiful and clean. the whole place is very beautiful and individual. so much to see, so much to discover, and so much to learn. or to enjoy the balconies which have a lot of flowers and trees. they are very tranquil.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RenateJaisalmer
Daejeon, South Korea
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I enjoyed staying at the home of Tannie and Murad in New Delhi.It was a very comfortable room and Tannie help me with my travel plans to Agra and also helped me with transportation in seeing some of the sights in New Delhi. Tannie was always helpful with my travel plans and staying in her home was much better than staying in a hotel it added to the warmth of staying with a Indian family and made the experience of staying in India more enjoyable.
I highly recommend staying here it was delightful.
Richard J. Farrer
Iksan, Korea

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard F
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Yes, terrace plants, flowers, and nice furniture are all good, but after all it's the people who make or break your stay, not the amenities.

We arrived in Delhi after a 7 hour train delay, so by the time we got to the house it was close to 2am and we were exhausted. I kept Tannie posted and updated via email, and her assistant waited for us outside the house and helped to carry our luggage upstairs.
We were shown into the top room and assumed this was the room we had reserved for the price we discussed. The room was lovely and clean.

The next morning we met Tannie and Murad at breakfast, and she told us that in fact, the room we slept in was the more expensive room, and NOT the room at the lower price we reserved(with an email confirmation!) and she actually had the nerve to ask us for the higher rate! When we balked at this, she relented, and said that 'well, since there were no other guests at the house that week she will "let" us stay in that room for the lower price'. We only had two more days in India so we decided to let it go.

The other issue was that Tannie and Murad had to go out of town that afternoon, due to illness in the family. We were completely alone in the house for the remaining two nights of our stay. There were no other guests and it was very weird to be there by ourselves.
While I understand that things happen unexpectedly, we would've appreciated Tannie to alert us to the fact they would be away. Since they had train reservations and no guests booked for that week, I assume they had known about this trip somewhat in advance. Basic courtesy towards paying guests is to inform them about changes like this, as soon as they can, so the guests may re-consider plans and make changes if possible. This behavior shows neither great hospitality nor consideration, just greed.

My husband and I are independent and well traveled but come on, you're still in someone else's house in an unfamiliar city, things happen and you sometimes need assistance or need to ask something. For the very expensive rates that they charge, we felt it wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: Confirm the room rates, twice if needed.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple