“Most enjoyable stay.”

The Leela Palace New Delhi
Ranked #1 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Am still here actually and don't want to leave. Beautifully appointed, attention to detail, friendly, helpful and efficient service. I have not stayed in any other hotel in India other than the Grand Hyatt in Mumbai, (very good too!) so cannot compare it to the Imperial etc. There was nothing else I needed from this hotel other than warmer weather and I believe they would have got me that if they could. The roof top pool area is serene and luxurious and I'm sorry I didn't get to use it. Spa looked lovely and gym nicely appointed. Food at Le Cirque in the hotel top notch. Very nice breakfast, room service etc. Comfy bed, all mod cons in room, perfect, thank you!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Isobel2010
There are newer reviews for The Leela Palace New Delhi

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Wow! What a find. The New Zealand gentleman does not deserve an apology and his comments are most unfortunate. I love everything about this hotel (have a definite soft spot for The Imperial) but I won't stay anywhere else in future. One of the strengths compared to other hotels - including The Imperial - is that staff don't stand on top of you waiting for a tip. Please keep this up. At the end of my stay I would liked to have given each staff member a hefty tip but couldn't. I love that the hotel allows you to leave a tip at the front desk to share. Wonderful spa. To the people who complain about this hotel - don't travel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank JburgSouthAfrica
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We didn't expect the kind of service we received at the Leela. It didn't feel at all like any of the staff was waiting to receive a tip with each service provided.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Many could argue that this is not the face of real India. However having arrived from Varanasi with the worst gastroenteritis known to man and feeling very sorry for myself the Leela palace was exactly the medicine i needed. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left it was like being wrapped in a wonderful, luxurious, cashmere blanket. The staff wee fantastic, with no request too much trouble. The room was very beautiful, (Standard double), large and very comfortable. The bathroom even had a tv built into the mirror. The restaurants were expensive but the quality of the food was very good, my travelling companion advised me. The gym was excellent and the spa is so beautiful that even if you don't unwind with a treatment it is worth a visit, just to admire the wall tiles. The next time I am in Delhi the Leela is defiantly where I will be staying.My only criticism is that the hotel needs more than one shop.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank fleetoffoot
Reviewed 5 February 2012

So was here with my mum in January for 6 nights at the beginning and end of my stay in India. Being a regular at the Imperial I decided to book the Leela after reading all the great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Overall the hotel itself is very good, great rooms, great service but the location annoyed me the most. Granted that Chanakyapuri is a very posh, clean part of Delhi filled with foreign embassies etc., but as a tourist I found it too far from all the action. Janpath, Connaught Place, Karol Bagh are miles away by taxi and if you get stuck in traffic – then you’ve had it! There is nothing to do in the surrounding areas of the hotel (unless you’re a diplomat at one of the nearby embassies!). This is when I really missed being at the Imperial where your centrally located.

Hotel Exterior: The hotel is a huge cube shape building. Some taxi drivers didn’t know the hotel and had to ask random people on the road for directions! Guards inspect cars entering the hotel and then you drive in to the porch area. This is where you find two life size marble elephant pillars – my favourite feature of the hotel (I liked to call them Leela and Sheila :P)

Check in: Very smooth and prompt. As you enter the hotel the staff greet you with garlands and a vermillion ‘tikka’ on your forehead. You don’t queue up at the front desk check in happens in your room where you are escorted to by a member of the front desk.

The Lobby and Garden: Is very well decorated, high ceilings, chandeliers, fancy rugs etc. but is way too small for a hotel this size! From the lobby you can walk out into the veranda where there is a small garden but you can’t walk on the grass itself.

The room: Very well appointed, good size room. We had twin beds which were very comfy, the duvet was the most coziest I have ever had! The room had a tea/coffee maker, an LCD TV, DVD and Blu-ray player. The Leela, like many other hotels also had an iPod Touch that you could use to operate the TV etc. They provide complimentary fruits in the room everyday and Indian sweets in the evening when they turn down the room.

The bathroom: Probably the same size as the room! All made with marble and gold finishing. The bathroom had a bathtub with a TV at one end, a standing shower cubicle, two sinks and a toilet. Funny thing is, none of the doors (either the main bathroom door, the shower or toilet door) have locks on them. I know it’s likely that you will be sharing a room with someone you trust but still, I think they ought to have a lock on the door. The bathroom is very well equipped with the regular 5* amenities and complimentary goodies.

Breakfast: Breakfast is served at the Qube. They serve a good choice of Indian and continental items. My mother was annoyed that they didn’t serve exotic fruits for breakfast. The restaurant itself lacked character; we could have been sitting anywhere! The Qube is a square room with black leather chairs – not exactly palatial! Felt like a misfit in the whole hotel.

The pool: The pool is located on the rooftop. I think its quite small for a hotel its size. It was January and it was cold, though I was told the pool was heated to 28 degrees, when I arrived there, the attendant said it wasn’t a good idea to swim as the water was cold at 22 degrees! Not exactly what you expect from a hotel like the Leela.

I would recommend booking directly with the hotel, I managed to get a good deal and free wifi in my room! As I said, the hotel itself is grand (apart from the Qube) and the staff were always ready to help, the service was top notch. However for me the location was its biggest flaw!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lil_punjabi_angel
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The service we had at this hotel is something never experienced before. If only all hotels were like this!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here with my husband for a week in January and had a wonderful time from start to finish. The room, a junior suite, was beautiful, very spacious and perfect for our needs with every possible amenity. The bathroom was the last word in luxury, the bed as good as at home (I have NEVER written that before!) and it was great to have the ipod dock and film library on tap for those jet lagged nights. I also loved the artwork in the room, nothing mass produced here.
We ate in Qube and Jamavar, both superb. The only reason we didn't eat in the French/Italian or Japanese restaurants is that we have a lot of both at home. The rooftop pool is spectacular, the spa offers an enormous range of glorious treatments and the gym is well-appointed.
Service throughout our stay was attentive without being overbearing, striking just the right note, and we had the very best of help from the concierge, Saurabh (apologies to him if I have misspelled his name), who arranged our trip to Agra with one of the hotel drivers, transfers to the airport for a trip to Amritsar, and gave us excellent advice on shopping.

Room Tip: Look on the Leela's own website for the junior suites, which aren't listed with the big onli...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple