“One of the best Sunday Brunch in town” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Leela Palace New Delhi

The Leela Palace New Delhi
Ranked #2 of 701 Hotels in New Delhi
New Delhi, India
“One of the best Sunday Brunch in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

The Leela Palace is an amazing property right in the heart of New Delhi. It takes luxury to the highest standard. Though I have visited the property and taken in the lovely architecture, I have never had a chance to stay in it as Delhi is my hometown. However during my last visit I had the pleasure of enjoying the Sunday Brunch with my family at their restaurant The Qube and was compelled to write a review for it.

I can summarize my experience at The Qube in one sentence, "One of the best Sunday brunches I have had till date." I was there to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my wife and kids and we loved the experience. The first thing you notice as you enter is the tall imposing entrance door which leads you to the main restaurant and prepares you for a grand food roller-coaster waiting inside. The decor is modern with straight lines and high glass walls looking onto a beautifully landscaped lawn. The aisles in between the tables are quite spacious and the kids loved running around the area. The staff is very courteous, extremely attentive & the chefs behind the counters are generous with their suggestions as with their food.

The "food" however is the main focus for both the restaurant staff and the guest. I have tried quiet a few buffet spreads, (even at hotels in Las Vegas which are known for their buffets) but I can without doubt say that this was one of the best I have sampled both in terms of quantity and quality. I tried to sample and taste all the dishes on the spread but if I try to talk about each one this is going to be one long review, so I would stick to a few special mentions. The choice of dim-sums is amazing with vegetarian, seafood, chicken, prawn fillings & it should definitely be tried with the spicy sauce. The seafood spread and the cold cuts were fresh and I loved the octopus salad. They have an outdoor grill which does Indian styled tandoori veggies, meat and seafood. The main course and live counters have a huge variety and I would highly recommend Pork belly in tamarind sauce. The dessert spread was huge and for people with a sweet tooth it is pure indulgence. All in all it was a great experience and the staff topped it up with a small but sweet gesture by a chocolate cake for our anniversary.

I am sure I will be going back for more and definitely a stay too, as my 5 year old son kept asking me at the end of the meal, "Dad, why are we not staying at this hotel, it is so nice".

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank EMM_KAYY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

We stayed here on our last visit in March 2012. Loved it!
It's a pricey place but definitely worth the splurge. We ordered room service for breakfast and were served a delightful club sandwich and some standard tea and coffee options.
It's almost kitschy with the glitz but when you're spending that kind of cash bling can be nice :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rye C
Shepparton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

The saying "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten" has been attributed to the Gucci Family and applies equally to this hotel.
It is not cheap for India, but on the world scale it could be considered quite a bargain- indeed, this level of service is rarely attained in countries where labour is expensive.
There is quite a security presence at this hotel- befitting for visiting heads of state, princes and kings. You will feel safe and cocooned once in the front doors.
The check-in is unhurried, quiet and uber-professional. I was asked to sit for a few moments while paperwork was done and then there is a personalised introduction to the hotel including to the restaurants and bars. My photo was taken by a gorgeous young lady and from then on you seem to be magically greeted by name throughout the hotel.
I was shown to my room and then offered the upgrade package including club access, limousine to the airport the next day and a (much) better room. I would suggest to take up this offer- let this hotel amaze you with the facilities and service. The standard room was gorgeous- the upgrade room a completely new level indeed.
I was personally introduced to the club rooms, and back into the room you are introduced to your personal butler as well as your room attendant- both of whom offer their cards.
I ordered a business shirt pressed and in 20 minutes it was immaculately hanging in my wardrobe covered in a silk like material. My shirt has never been treated so well!!
I attended the club room to wind down after a hectic day. There are several large lounges with superb individual areas to read- you will be plied with free drinks and delightful high standard amuse-bouche.
I was asked if I would like hot hors d'oeuvre and these were supplied directly from the Japanese restaurant Megu. They were so yum I immediately asked for a reservation later that night.
Megu is simply a world class Japanese restaurant. Make sure you check the antique kimono silk wall. The main restaurant was quiet so I opted to sit at the sushi bar and had a wonderful time with three world class sashimi chefs. Best Japanese I have ever had washed down by Sapporo and green tea. 60 different sakes were also on offer. It wasn't cheap but an unforgettable experience.
I finished off in the Library Bar- "Would you like a double sir?" "Of course sir wants a double" Great old fashioned service- definitely not PC.
Here is an example of extreme service. When you visit the bathroom a man is present who activates the water at the sink, applies soap and dries your hands with fresh linen and then re-folds the remaining bathroom paper into triangles when you leave. Extreme.
Two things stand out- this hotel has exquisite lighting at night- it really is a place of great beauty at night with great art work beautifully presented. The hotel smells delightful- this is due to the fact that fresh flowers are visible wherever you turn. When you walk past you will be delighted by scent and sight. Their flower bill must be as much as some hotel's food bills.
I could go on. The rooftop pool area is world class- similar to W Hong Kong.
When the limousine drops you to the airport, there is a hotel employee waiting who takes your bags, leads you to the head of the queue and negotiates with the security on your behalf. Little welcome touches to the very end.
Negatives- not many here. The mirror bathroom TV loses it best definition when you are reclining in the bath. I attended the club breakfast at around 8am and for some reason they decided to vacuum the carpet and polish the floor while I was there-it should have been done before the breakfast sitting.
The position of the hotel is not great for walking or exploring. Delhi is far from my favourite city and I would only use it for transfers.
Other than that- be prepared to be seriously impressed.

Room Tip: Go for the Club room upgrade 8th floor. My room was vault-like quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank MrShhh
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Leela Palace is a welcome addition to the luxury hotel scene in Delhi. The location is excellent - in the heart of Chanakyapuri, the posh diplomatic quarter of Delhi. The rooms are exquisite and the service levels are certainly first class. A bit on the pricier side but the food is great and the facilities are outstansing.

At the time of check-out, I was a bit miffed that the the final amount was already converted to AU$ using not the best exchange rates (from my point of view) without actually consulting with me if I would like the final amount to be in AU$ or INR. The difference may be only around 2% but this practice is unnecoming of a hotel of Leela's class.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jdavis2009
new york city
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

It is a beautiful hotel-no doubts . Agree with all reported by other reviewers regarding the food ,service, and rooms.
The swimming pool is 25 meters - a big plus if you swim for exercise .
My experience was poor due the noise coming from a wedding hall located across from the hotel. Despite being on the ninth floor I could hear the loud music , drumming and car honking .The weddings apparently are conducted daily in wedding season and in the 3 nights I experienced it -the music started at 9PM and continued until 1AM .Since they were no other rooms I had to stay in my room and the manager could not assist in finding other rooms.If you are sensitive to noise be aware that some of the rooms facing the city are exposed to the wadding hall .

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank chuckNewYorkCity
Tamir_Kobrin, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Thank you for the feedback and contribution.

You are correct, it is wedding season in India and fortunately, or unfortunately, weddings do take place in and around the hotel. Most visitors to the city during this time find the experience of an Indian wedding enlightening and truly unique.
I am sincerely sorry that it has disturbed you and did not allow you to enjoy the hotel at its fullest.

Tamir Kobrin
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We were a little hesitant at first about staying at Leela Palace as prices were a little steep, but we had absolutely no regrets. From the airport pickup, to the warm traditional greeting at the hotel, to the personalized in-room check-in, to the superb Jamava Restaurant (excellent Indian food & first-class service), and down to each and every hotel staff - top-notch service at a beautifully designed hotel - luxurious hospitality.

For those who are contemplating between Imperial New Delhi and Leela Palace (we did) - no questions asked - we would go for LP. We stayed at both hotels, and although the Imperial has its own Colonial charm, its service is a really far cry from that of Leela's.

Room Tip: No issues with the rooms, they all look good.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nic-Jerome
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

The Leela in one of Delhi's finest hotels.

I have now stayed in the Leela on a number of occasions and have yet to be disappointed. The rooms are first rate, the service excellent and the food never disappoints.

Strongly recommended as a luxury option in Delhi, just be sure to wake up in time for breakfast.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business