“This was a perfect first stop...”

The Leela Palace New Delhi
Ranked #1 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We flew in to New Delhi to start the greatest trip we have ever taken, this place really eased us in to the pace of India. Its a 5 start plus property, the service was great although they missed every car booking while on property they did get us back and forth to the airports on time. For the mistakes they did give us a car upgrade. The roof top pool has amazing views of the city and is worth stoping by for a drink and splash. I would stay here again, but they do need to clean up the service front to make sure it matches the property. None of them were a big deal but if you are emailing back and forth months prior to arrival you expect them to have your itinerary all set while staying there. So all in, i really liked this hotel, I would stay here again for sure and so should you!

Room Tip: Nail down your requests by email only. So you have proof.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sean G
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for selecting The Leela Palace New Delhi as the starting point for your journey through India and commending us as ‘the perfect first stop’.

While it is a pleasure to read your appreciation of the hotel and our features, I assure you that my team and me are disheartened to not have delivered the similar service promise while organizing your transfers. We have a taken a careful note of your feedback and all necessary efforts will be put out to address this area.

We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the not too distant future.

Louis Sailer,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,046)

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

This is an ultimate hotel. Clean, service, location, food, everything is excellent.

The greatest positive was the unexpected service at the airport. Their dedicated airport team took care if our luggage and filled our paperwork and got us through the baggage lines very quickly. When u have 7 bags and travel with three young kids this is priceless!

My only complaint was with the airport ride setup. I understand we have lots of bags, but I think it is unreasonable to expect 5 people to sit in the backseat of a car. The proper thing to do would be to have a second car for our family. I am very uncomfortable having my young kids sitting in laps without seat belts - even if it is normal in India. So I asked a family member to come ND drive me to the airport so we would not have to squeeze into the leela airport car. Its the little things for the price we pay to stay at a premier property.

I would definitely recommend the hotel despite this oversight.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tagarwaldds
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

It is a pleasure to read your review of your recent stay at The Leela Palace New Delhi. Thank you for your kind endorsement as the ‘Ultimate’ hotel in Delhi and I am glad that you enjoyed our features and services.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused at the time of transportation. While we always have additional cars on stand by, we have taken a serious note of your feedback and will assure a better handling of in the future.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family again.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Leela Palace on a recent trip to Delhi.
The hotel is luxurious and the service is great. Location is a bit off, but I thought that this was a good thing in Delhi.
We tried all the outlets in this hotel (except for the Indian restaurant):
- Bar: no comments
- Megu (Japanese): good food but ridiculously expensive...it is not worth the money.
- La Cirque (French/Italian): good food but also quite expensive.
- Qube: food is ok. Breakfast buffet is served here and it gets very crowded and more like a zoo. It was not comfortable to have breakfast there. And they could use some more hygiene in the buffet.
Spa was nice, but the massage was sub-par.
Concierge was very helpful in recommending sites to see and shopping areas. However, their transportation options to Jaipur were ridiculously expensive (680 USD!!!)

2  Thank Milanese2008

Thank you for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi and for your kind compliments for the hotel and our services including the concierge.

Please be assured that we follow the highest quality & hygiene standards across the hotel and while only the finest products are imported for our menus in MEGU and Le Cirque, we do offer plenty of alternate choices throughout our menus within The Leela Place New Delhi.

I am very sorry to read about the displeasure on some of your other experiences and am taking the liberty to contact you personally to find out more. Your valuable feedback is very important to us

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 days on a recent trip to India. I was in awe of the facility that was so beautifully decorated for the holidays! Room was very luxurious and spacious. However, the level of service didn't seem to match what I thought would exist here. Each time I stopped at the desk to ask a question, they seemed to need another copy of my passport (4 times total!) It wasn't such a big deal but couldn't understand why they kept needing another copy. Just became annoying at some point. Then the staff denied there was an issue with this. That just seemed completely inappropriate and I let them know that. They did try to make up for it by sending a plate of desserts to my room. Service in the bar on a slow night wasn't quite up to snuff either and we let the manager there know as well. Couldn't understand why our orders took so long on a slow night. I guess I just expected more from this hotel. Otherwise, the breakfast buffet was very nice and the staff in the restaurant was very helpful. Not much going on in the location and we needed to drive everywhere we went. Couldn't just walk out the door to take in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carman310

Thank you for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi. While I am glad to note your appreciation of the hotel’s overall décor, our staff and services at The Qube, I am concerned about the inconvenience caused to you in other areas.

We take every feedback seriously and while I sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to showcase our improvements in areas you indicated, I am kindly requesting the opportunity to establish contact with you personally via email.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Very goood hotel, with excellent services and very friendly staff. The rooms are fabulous and the cleanliness is spotless. I will recommand also the car transfer services, from airport or anywhere in town. I was very satisfied by their services, they helped me to arrange dedicated tours to Agra, Jaipur and around New-Delhi.
As weaknesses I will say that breakfast has room to be improved, is limited as options, not as I expected from a real 5 stars hotel. Also I think all prices from restaurants are too high, totally unjustified from my perspective. I was unpleasant surprised to find that all prices are without any taxes included and none will tell you how many taxes will be applied, what is the level for these taxes and finally how much you il pay. So you will need to be prepaired for some nasty experiences. This is applies to all services not only for restaurant.
Overall I would say a very good and pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Nothing specific
4  Thank IGabriel_75

I am pleased to read your kind review of The Leela Palace New Delhi and the very kind compliments on our staff and services.

My concierge team joins me in thanking you for your kind appreciation and it is heartwarming to note that that your expectations were satisfied. It is our earnest endeavor to continuously improve in all our services at the hotel and I am pleased to share that our new spring menu for breakfast is underway.

We sincerely await the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

When we booked, the hotel requested our details to aid the check-in process. We provided our address details, room preferences and a credit card. We received a confirmation that this had been received.

On arrival, after a very long journey, we were told to relinquish our passports and sit in the stunningly beautiful lobby. There was no real welcome though, no drink or towel or anything, like we had had almost everywhere else in India.

After 5 to 10 minutes a lady with a clipboard came and asked for our details. We advised her that we had already provided these…and showed her the confirmation receipt. She looked surprised and reluctantly settled for a credit card and signature to speed things along. (We ended up having to reconfirm our address at checkout). She then led us to our room – which from the smell was very clearly a smoking room despite our request for non-smoking. She asked us if we would prefer a different room or if she could maybe freshen this one up? We repeated our request for a non-smoking room, so she told us to make ourselves comfortable in the smelly room while she looked into it. After another 10 minutes we were re-united with our cases in the smelly room. Now, about 30 minutes after our arrival the lady reappeared and took us to a non-smoking room, she told us not to worry about our cases as these would be forwarded to the new room.

We waited in the new room for 10 minutes and still with no cases, decided to call reception to ask about the cases when they didn’t seem to be coming.

Eventually , 45 minutes after arrival, we finally found ourselves in our room with our cases.

I have never had such a painful, slow check in experience at any hotel anywhere in the world. And I have stayed in places costing about $10 per night.

After that though, our stay was wonderful. Great service, super quality hotel and amazing food. We even decided to celebrate New Year here at the Qube restaurant, the food variety and quality was amazing. Just wish the check in process had been less annoying.

2  Thank Mundii
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at The Leela Palace New Delhi and my apologies that we were unable to deliver on our warm welcome promise to you.
While we are glad that your overall stay turned out to be wonderful, it is certainly disheartening to learn about your less than perfect check-in experience. Please be assured that we are determined to constantly improve upon our services and your feedback will be a great help in this direction.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel briefly as my flight was delayed and very much enjoyed the experience. The building was kept in an immaculate condition and rooms and bathrooms super luxurious. The Spa was one of the finest I have seen and service phenomenal! The only point I would mention would be to make the breakfast more appetising and morning dinning experience more refined. The Xmas decorations were also a little over the top...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank IHAIM

We greatly appreciate your kind recommendation of The Leela Palace New Delhi and are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and our spa services that scored high on your experience. I have taken a careful note of your feedback on our breakfast offering and will also ensure that next year’s giant gingerbread house will be a little more subtle.

We thank you for staying with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,