“Could be the best hotel”

The Leela Palace New Delhi
Ranked #1 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Could be the best hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I checked in at 9 pm on 29th Jan. It was very smooth check in indeed. Sachin made sure that I was comfortable in the lobby and he took my passport and did all the formalities while I relaxed. Very nice of him.
Have no single doubt. This is a palace. Awesome place to be. Regal and a class of its own. My Room was the basic one but spacious and elegantly decorated. Nice sofa and working desk with two chairs.Bed was very comfortable. Cookies and fruits complimentary. Cordless phone at bed side. High grade tea option in the room also complimentary.
Bathroom was huge with lot of mirrors all around. Huge bathtub. Shower cubicle and WC were separate and glass walled. Large basin panel with two wash basins. It was very luxurious bathroom in all respect.
Sachin gave me late check out at 3 pm today. I was awake whole night due the party for which I stayed here. Also I checked in very late and again was having a late evening flight.I called the reception requesting one hour more and to make my check out at 4 pm instead of 3 pm. They flatly refused it. I understand the occupancy problem but still feel that I should be informed with little more respect and not so curtly.
Now at the check out there was shock for me. I was charged INR 300 for 3 hours internet use. I told the check out handling staff (Varun or Arun maybe) that I never logged in. He did not listen and insisted that I used it. I requested him that there might be some error or I can show him my browsing history on my laptop. I think he should have checked his calculation on my request. Alas he was very adamant. On top of my head for INR 300. No issue and I settled it.
I paid INR 500 tip to the concierge.
This made my whole experience of this majestic palace a little bit sour. The end was not well. You can have beautiful palace and top class fixtures and amenities but the hospitality is always judged by the service. People make all the difference.
I have stayed at Oberoi and Hyatt in India and have always admired their top class guest relation. Consistent care and respect throughout the stay where ever we have been to.
I will not return here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your time to review your recent stay with us.

While I thank you for your wonderful compliments on our features and décor, I am sorry to learn of your check-out experience. It is our constant endeavor to improve upon our services and your valuable feedback has been carefully noted. While I assume this was caused by a full house situation we will surely review requests of this nature to find a more amicable solutions for the future.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to showcase the improvements and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Louis Sailer,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is quite simply stunning. From the greeting by the smartly dressed Sikh gentlemen when you arrive to the excellent array of dishes available for breakfast we had an (almost) faultless stay.

If I was being picky I would say that the gardens should be bigger and the room should be cleaned more than once a day (as it is at say the Cipriani in Venice) but otherwise I really couldn't find anything negative to say. The room was fabulous and all of the staff were amazingly courteous and friendly. The Indian restaurant Jamvar is top class.

My only gripe with the group is that we couldn't book the Leela in Kovalam (it was full) and wanted to go and use the facilities for an afternoon so we could sample them for our next visit. When we'd spent the equivalent of the debt of a small third world country at the New Delhi property (in the Spa and Restaurants) a flat "no" from the management in Kovalam wasn't really appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Glowing reviews like this serve as a great source of motivation for the team to continue delivering the finest experience to each of our guests at The Leela Palace New Delhi. My team joins me in thanking you for your kind appreciation of the overall hotel quality and food & beverage services.

As a standard all guest rooms are serviced twice daily. We have taken a careful note of your feedback on housekeeping and will certainly work towards making sure that every experience that you have with us remains magical and memorable.

I am very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you in our sister hotel due to a sell out situation, but I will be pleased to personally assist with any requests in the future to ensure you would get a chance to at least experience one of our facilities in our magnificent hotels and palaces.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at The Leela Palace in the not too distant future.

With warm regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was the starting point of our holiday. After a long flight from London, we were greeted warmly, got an early check-in and taken straight to our room. We were in a club room- beautifully kitted out and had access to the club lounge. Everyone was very helpful and went out of their way for us- organising taxis, booking restaurants etc... Breakfast the next day was spectacular- the best I've seen anywhere. The spa and gym were also right at the very top of hotel facilities. We didn't use the rooftop pool as it was too cold but it looked like it would be great in the summer.

Our one gripe was that the a la carte Indian restaurant claimed to be "full" when we went for dinner because we didn't have a reservation, despite the fact that we specifically asked whether we needed to book when we arrived and were told we didn't during the week. After a lot of fuss and a 20 minute wait, we were eventually given a table. It was all very odd, particularly because 70% of the tables were vacant the whole evening.

Other than that, a great place to start our trip and would highly recommend- just make sure you book for dinner!

Room Tip: Well worth the small extra cost to have use of the club room and free pick up from the airport.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for making The Leela Palace New Delhi your preferred choice at the beginning of your trip and the wonderful compliments on our Royal Club accommodations and the award-wining spa services.

I indeed am concerned to note your feedback on the reservation delay at Jamavar and assure that I will look further into this comment.

We look forward to welcoming you soon and eager to showcase New Delhi’s only rooftop temperature controlled swimming pool with panoramic views of the city.

Georgia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Wow! This is the most beautiful hotel that I have ever experienced - anywhere. I am a frequent traveler, both domestically and internationally, and appreciate the finest lodgings in every city that I visit. With that being said, I find myself underwhelmed by many properties. I could never feel underwhelmed by The Leela. When I walked into this property, I was blown away! The Leela Palace is stunning - there is no other way to say it. This is my new favorite property worldwide and the bar has been set high.

The lobby - Wow! The rooms - Gorgeous! The Service - Warm, Polished, Engaging! I do not think I have ever met such genuinely nice hotel staff.

We dined at The Qube, Le Cirque, and Megu. Though all restaurants were excellent, we thought Megu was the best.

When we decided to travel to India, I knew that I did not desire a group tour and would prefer a private tour. I contacted several companies but was most impressed with India Beat Travel. Victoria, at India Beat Travel, designed an excellent private tour for us (2 persons). The India Beat Travel airport representatives, guides, and drivers were fantastic. The tour was interesting, fun, educational, and most importantly, we felt completely safe during the entire tour. I would highly recommend India Beat Travel for planning your private tour of India.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luxury1Georgia
Your review titled ““My new favorite hotel - period!” is the ultimate reward to all our efforts and a wonderful endorsement for our staff; that strives daily to fulfill and exceed the expectations of our valued patrons and guests.

Thank you for the high notes on our restaurants that are adorned with beautifully landscaped alfresco to enjoy under the stars and all our décor and staff services.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

With regards,
Rishikesh, India
Reviewed 27 January 2014

the stay at the leela palace was a very good and decent one.
all the rooms are very very clean and services also were really good.
i can say that i have stayed in many hotels in my life but i haven't seen any hotel like this.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
It is a pleasure to read the glowing review of your stay at The Leela Palace New Delhi. We eagerly look forward to welcome you back again in not too distant future.

With warmest regards,
Louis Sailer
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I was working for a domestic airlines and as part of a corporate event tied up with the hotel to bring our some common guest to experience both the airlines and the hotels service.

As a guest at the hotel i had a wonderful experience. Nothing beats the Indian hospitality and the staff at the Leela Palace made sure to live up to that claim. Incase you are wondering what kind of property the hotel is, well rest assured that nothing beats the Leela when it comes to being grandiose.

The food at the restaurants (all three of them) was exquisite. I loved the spread at the buffet table and enjoyed the food thoroughly. The only downside is the cost, being luxurious is a costly affair and incase you have to shell out the cost from your own pocket instead of your company then it will really pinch but to me it would be worth it.

Location wise this hotel is in the embassy area of Delhi and thus foreign diplomats and business leaders are frequent guests but if you are a tourist then travelling might be an issue from here.

Planning to send my parents for their anniversary to the hotel :)

Room Tip: Just trust the hotel staff, they wont disappoint.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the wonderful compliments on our Indian hospitality and the gracious endorsement of our staff services and the restaurants.

As you have rightly noted, we are the preferred choice of travelling diplomats and dignitaries due to our proximity to embassies, government offices, business districts, many historical monuments and key shopping destinations. Our concierge team goes an extra mile ensuring the best city tours in our comfortable and safe in-house BMW fleet with trained chauffeurs.

It is wonderful to note that you consider sending us your parents’ to celebrate their anniversary with us.

My team and I eagerly look forward to welcome your parents soon and ensure to make their stay a most memorable one.

New York
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My parter and I (along with our parents) stayed at the Leela for 5 nights, long enough to get a good sense of the hotel and its limitations. We arrived quite late on the first night and our check-in process was handled in the most incompetent manner. We booked two different rooms (of differing quality--our parents had a larger room) and were given two rooms at the lower standard. Too tired at that point to argue, we let it go and the next day we were told that our parents' room would be switched to the size they had booked. Upon our return from a day out in Delhi, we found that our things (scattered throughout the room) had been moved and that our parents' things (packed neatly ready for room change) had been left as they were. In other words, the butler and the management moved the wrong room. All of our things were handled individually and moved separately, which no good hotel should ever do without express permission of the guest! I went down to reception to protest and realising their mistake the staff basically scattered and hid in fear while I stood there waiting for an explanation. And that was just the beginning. Our room keys constantly needed replacing as they expired after 24 hours. Every single night we stayed we had to ask reception to come up and let us into our room. Totally unacceptable. Even one of the bell boys admitted that the management hasn't quite got the hang of things yet and it certainly shows. We stayed at the Oberoi and the Taj hotels throughout India and the main difference between them and the Leela is class, professionalism, a well-oiled system by which hospitality is offered in the most unobtrusive and respectful manner. The Leela's restaurants are okay---Le Cirque is overpriced and the wine menu is ridiculous---300 dollars for Cakebread wine which retails for about 12 bucks in the US? That can't just be tax and import fees, though this is what we were told by the sommelier. No decent wines by the glass at all. There were select members of staff who were helpful---some at breakfast and one young man at reception, but on the whole the staff stands around and looks helpful but really there's nothing behind the show. While the hotel is beautiful to look at I most certainly will not be returning to the Leela and would advise others to consider alternatives. Unless you enjoy a smog-laden swimming pool and staff that haunt every corridor with presumably nothing better to do than to stand and stare...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SP613
Thank you for contributing your feedback of your recent stay with us. It is most unfortunate that we were unable to provide a seamless experience for you and we are very sorry for that. My team is certainly disheartened by your comments and for not delivering on our service promise to you.

I am taking the liberty to contact you via private email to gather more information and would appreciate to connect with you at your convenience.

Yours Sincerely,