“Beyond wonderful!”

The Leela Palace New Delhi
Ranked #1 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Although I had toured with Abercrombie & Kent which uses the marvelous Taj locations whenever possible, I was unable to book two additional post-tour nights at the Taj Hotel in Delhi. On an online search I found the Leela Palace that sounded soooo great that then and there I booked my days prior to departure home. As incredible as the Taj staffs and accommodations are, I have to say that I was even more impressed (is that possible?) by the Leela. A beautiful greeter named Zhavi somehow seemed to wind up taking care of me whenever I was in the Lobby for any reason. This was particularly appreciated because I was by this point on my own! Her individual care amazed me, and enhanced my Leela experience as a lone traveller immensely. Many thanks for a wonderful visit.

Room Tip: I can't even imagine a room at The Leela that would be other than fabulous. Great menu for room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HM349
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

It was a pleasure to read your glowing review titled “beyond wonderful” at the start of my day.

Zhavi and the Leela team at New Delhi join me in thanking you for your wonderful compliments and for staying with us.

I am also very appreciative of your recognition of Delhi’s most luxurious and beautifully appointed guest accommodations, as a lot of personal effort and commitment has gone into creating truly Indian inspired guest rooms and suites for our guests and patrons.

We hope to welcome you back again in not too distant future.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have stayed in about a dozen 5-star hotels in India, and the Leela simply did not compare with the other hotels. The hotel itself is gorgeous and well-manicured and maintained (which is not surprising as it is a fairly new hotel) -- however, the service is perfectly mediocre and the amenities are lacking.

For example, a free breakfast is included in the rate -- however, they do not tell you that the dining room cannot accommodate a full hotel. In the middle of the week, getting breakfast was no problem, but on a busy weekend, we were turned away and we were not the only guests that could not be accommodated -- which is absurd given that we arrived at breakfast more than 30 minutes before the scheduled ending time.

Also, the Leela arranged salon appointments for myself and a friend. The service at the spa they sent us to was absolutely appalling and downright embarrassing.

I hate to say it, but I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to a friend, rather, I would suggest the Oberoi or the Taj or several other fabulous hotels where the staff go over and above to make you feel welcome and meet all of your needs.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to read about your experience about the external salon appointment and challenge at breakfast time.

While we see late demand for breakfast, especially on leisurely weekends, please accept my apologies that my team was not able to better manage your arrival. Our guests can enjoy breakfast 24 hours a day if they wish, hence I shall personally look into this matter as to why it was not handled more correctly.

Feedback on all our third party services are usually very good. Please allow me to contact you via separate email to find out more in our endeavor to serve the needs of our guests better in the future.

It is most unfortunate that we missed out on your observations mentioned, but we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

General Manager.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife and I had a five night stay here in February 2014. There are many positives about the hotel: our room (729) was excellent, spacious and with very good lighting, a fine shower and a nice lounge area and desk. The only caveat on the room would be that the mattress of the bed was very firm, so if you like a soft mattress then this could be an issue (there is no possibility to change to a softer mattress, as we discovered). The hotel is located in the relative peace of the Diplomatic Quarter of New Delhi, and is very well appointed, with extremely attractive furniture and decoration. There is a pretty garden, though this is not very large, and you cannot walk around it as you can at the Leela Mumbai.

There are four restaurants in the hotel, of which we tried three. Le Cirque is an offshoot of the New York original, here serving capable Italian food. Jamavar is the smart Indian option, and although pleasant to be honest the food does not compare well to the Jamavars in Bangalore, Mumbai or indeed Goa when that one was open. There is also Qube, the basic dining room of the hotel, offering a buffet at lunch and a range of dishes from assorted cuisines a la carte. The Indian food that we tried there was fine, and although service there was generally good, at one lunch time it was very slow to process our simple order despite an almost empty dining room, and even then they forgot one of the four items in the order. On the other days there were no such issues.

There is a rooftop pool on the 11th floor with a fine view over the city. The pool staff were good, though again there was one problem when there was some unannounced maintenance work being done on some tiles on the pool steps, leaving some jagged edges which on which my wife cut her foot. Only after we reported this incident did a warning sign appear.

Otherwise the staff were plentiful and friendly. Our concierge made a couple of restaurant reservations that did not appear when we arrived at the respective establishments, though who knows where the problem arose in these cases: luckily in both cases the restaurants found us tables.

Overall the experience was a little more mixed than I was expecting. I have stayed over a dozen times at Leela properties in Mumbai, Bangalore, Kerala and Goa, and have always had virtually flawless experiences. This being an almost brand new Leela, I had hoped it would match these, but as noted there were a few nagging issues that made the stay less than the completely smooth experiences I have had at other Leela properties. I would still return here, but I think they need to tighten up a few things to bring it up to the very high standards of other Leela properties.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy Hayler

Thank you for your time to post your feedback. It is certainly disheartening to learn that we didn’t manage to provide a perfect experience during your recent stay with us.

My apologies for the inconvenience caused on the pool and please be assured that we are determined to constantly improve upon our services, as I know that comments from our guest are taken very personal by all of us at The Leela Palace New Delhi.

We sincerely hope you will give us a chance to showcase our improvements and to welcome you back again in not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Recently returned from a short 2 night stay at the Leela Palace Hotel, with my husband and 2 children. Booked 2 club rooms, which I thought were good value on the advance purchase rate. Club Rooms include a pick up from the airport and you are certainly picked up in style, as the hotel sent 2 BMW's for the 4 of us! A very nice start. While the hotel is not that far from the airport, the traffic can make it seem an awfully long way. However, the drivers are confident and new the best routes, and its a good way to catch your first glimpses of Delhi. The hotel location is not particularly central and there is not much in the local area, but that said it is not too far from anywhere, provided you time your trip right (as with any city). We had a lovely welcome at the hotel, complete with bindis and tea, and all formalities are completed downstairs before you are shown to your rooms. We had adjoining club rooms - note that if your kids are younger than ours, there are no interconnecting club rooms - I am not sure about other room types. The rooms were lovely, beautifully finished and clean and any requests for anything from housekeeping or other departments were answered instantly. I found all the staff extremely polite and helpful and they are a credit to the hotel. We organised our tour through the hotel - one slight negative is that they do not have a car that will sit more than 5, so taking a tour can mean 2 cars or having to organise a people carrier from outside the hotel. We did all manage to squish into the BMW 4x4, but it is not ideal (let alone particularly safe!). The tour guide provided was excellent. We had a lovely stay in this hotel and I have only a couple of other comments: the whole hotel was freezing! I appreciate we did not visit at a warm time of year (February) and the A/C is no doubt extremely welcome in the hot months, but it was too cold to be comfortable sometimes! My only other comment was the club lounge snacks in the evening were disappointing, especially for a country with such a wonderful variety of foods! But this is me being picky. Overall, we had a lovely stay and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank QueenMargarita
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

We are pleased to read your appreciation of our Royal club accommodations and staff services including housekeeping and the concierge. Thank you for commending our airport transfer services in our in-house comfortable and safe BMW fleet with fully trained chauffeurs and our traditional Indian welcome on arrival.

We welcome your feedback and I will work with the team to address the indicated areas for even better experience in future. You will be pleased to know that our concierge team will assist you in arranging a bigger vehicle to comfortably accommodate upwards to 4 members on your next visit.

We are eagerly looking forward to welcome you and your family to The Leela Palace New Delhi soon.

With the best regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This has to be one of the top hotels in the world. Concidering I am a fanatic in rating hotels I always do my homework and spend hours choosing where to stay, only five star, and it can cost.
We where picked up at the airport at 7am in a nice new BMW with water and the most perfect nice driver. A smooth ride into Dehli and bam we were in our Royal Club Room. No waiting, no standing in lines, just up to our palace like room, showered, invited to have breakfast. What a start!! The rest of our four night stay went on just like that. We loved our room, the bed, sheets, bathroom, service twice or more daily. Water fruit, even an anniversary cake were delivered. The club floor with afternoon tea, drinks in the evening with small little nibbles, perfect. The best crew any hotel could have. Now maybe you think I own the place which is not true, but the more I think about The Leela the more I understand what an example of excellence it is.
We ate at Le Cirque one night but my favorite was The Cube both for breakfast( they taught me to try Indian dishes and I was sold for the rest of the stay. In the evening there is a very special atmosphere at The Cube and the variety and quality is outstanding. The spa very professional.
I could go on and on raving about The Leela and evrything is true and if I do not come back there one day I will miss it. I hope the entire Leela crew reads this because you should be very proud of your work you did for me and my wife. Our anniversary was pure divine, kind regards Annika o Mats

Room Tip: Go for the Royal Club
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you so much for your glowing comments. My team and I are very proud to be bestowed with such a positive and detailed review and thank you for your appreciation of every little detail. We are glad that our staff was able to perform at their highest throughout all facilities and that we were able to ensure a wonderful time at the hotel for you.

The team at The Leela Palace New Delhi sincerely thank you for sharing your feedback and I certainly look forward to welcome you and partner back again in too distant future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I have just had an amazing five day stay at this hotel. What a treat ! It is immaculate, and was a wonderful retreat after sight seeing in chaotic Dehli. It is beautifully decorated,( LOVED the wonderful flower arrangements everywhere ) the club room was good value, the staff fantastic and the attention to detail superb. The highlite of our indian holiday. Sorry Oberoi!M

Room Tip: Perks from the club rooms justify extra expense
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

We are very pleased to read your kind comments and review. We truly appreciate your compliments and are glad that you recognize the dedication of our florist team.Our members at The Royal Club are happy to know that we met your expectations and your mention of an “Incredible Experience” is a great honor to us.

My team and I look forward to welcome you and your partner soon again.

With warmest regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel does justice to it's 5 star rating. From the second we arrived, the hotel staff were incredibly welcoming. The staff made us feel so comfortable! The location isn't very central but no other hotel in Delhi is as luxurious as this. The room was gorgeous and the bed was super comfortable. They even have a pillow menu!

The breakfast was really yummy and so was their Indian cuisine restaurant.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi. My team and I are delighted to read your kind appreciation about the hotel and your accommodations including the special touches. I am glad to note that you had a wonderful time at the hotel and our service teams at The Qube and Jamavar thank you for your patronage.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kindest regards,