“Very good experience”

The Leela Palace New Delhi
Ranked #1 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We only stayed here for one night so I can't say how it would have been over a longer stay. The hotel is beautiful. You feel great when you walk through the door. The staff were very attentive and helpful. Someone's wedding was taking place but we didn't hear alot of noise on the main floor and certainly nothing filtered up to our room. Our room was very comfortable and well appointed. We were so tired that we decided to eat in one of the hotel restaurants. The food was good. Service could have been a bit better especially considering that there were only a couple of tables that were occupied but it wasn't a huge issue. We were awakened on time for our trip to the airport, our cab was waiting, our check out was efficient, the staff gave us take away breakfast boxes and they made us cappuccinos. It was really nice. We had a great stay and when we come back to Delhi I will try staying here for longer and see how it is.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Constantlyontheroad
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

We are delighted to note that your experience with us met with your expectations.

While we thank you for commending the hotel’s overall quality and our staff services, we have a serious note of your feedback on the dinner service.

We are eagerly looking forward to welcome you back for a longer stay so you can experience the capital’s only rooftop temperature-controlled swimming pool and our award-wining services at our spa amongst many other special features.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 8 March 2014

A beautiful hotel property. Very high security. The car was searched before we were allowed entry to the property. I have no problem with this.
The room was extremely nice. The bed was very comfortable.
Had breakfast at the restaurant and it was an excellent buffet.
Internet service is free.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi. We are grateful for your kind compliments on our accommodations and breakfast offerings at The Qube.

Safety and security of our discerning guests is our key priority and as you have rightly pointed we do have an effective surveillance system put in place with multiple touch points in our premise including the entry gates.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as a family it was well worth the money.The hotel is luxurious with great service,amazing flowers.The rooms are spacious with great beds and feather pillows,we had our best night sleep here in our 2 week holiday.highly recommended.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandykji N

Thank you for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi and the highest endorsement of our features and services naming it ‘Best in Delhi’.

We are delighted to read your appreciation of the hotel’s décor and quality, our accommodations, and special touches including the floral installations.

We are eagerly looking forward to welcome you and your family back again in not too distant future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was visiting India as a solo traveler and it would have been a nerve wracking experience if not without the help of Vipin Kumar, customer service rep of the hotel. He assisted me with transportations, patiently explained all the other services & amenities of the hotel as I decided what to do. He made me feel comfortable in a foreign country just by knowing that he can assist me with anything. I felt like a VIP.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you so much for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi and we are delighted to read that your India experience met with your expectations.

Vipin Kumar and my team joins me in thanking you for your kind compliments. We truly hope to welcome you back again to experience many intriguing facets of our culture and history.

Kind regards,
Louis Sailer

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Although I had toured with Abercrombie & Kent which uses the marvelous Taj locations whenever possible, I was unable to book two additional post-tour nights at the Taj Hotel in Delhi. On an online search I found the Leela Palace that sounded soooo great that then and there I booked my days prior to departure home. As incredible as the Taj staffs and accommodations are, I have to say that I was even more impressed (is that possible?) by the Leela. A beautiful greeter named Zhavi somehow seemed to wind up taking care of me whenever I was in the Lobby for any reason. This was particularly appreciated because I was by this point on my own! Her individual care amazed me, and enhanced my Leela experience as a lone traveller immensely. Many thanks for a wonderful visit.

Room Tip: I can't even imagine a room at The Leela that would be other than fabulous. Great menu for room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HM349
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

It was a pleasure to read your glowing review titled “beyond wonderful” at the start of my day.

Zhavi and the Leela team at New Delhi join me in thanking you for your wonderful compliments and for staying with us.

I am also very appreciative of your recognition of Delhi’s most luxurious and beautifully appointed guest accommodations, as a lot of personal effort and commitment has gone into creating truly Indian inspired guest rooms and suites for our guests and patrons.

We hope to welcome you back again in not too distant future.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have stayed in about a dozen 5-star hotels in India, and the Leela simply did not compare with the other hotels. The hotel itself is gorgeous and well-manicured and maintained (which is not surprising as it is a fairly new hotel) -- however, the service is perfectly mediocre and the amenities are lacking.

For example, a free breakfast is included in the rate -- however, they do not tell you that the dining room cannot accommodate a full hotel. In the middle of the week, getting breakfast was no problem, but on a busy weekend, we were turned away and we were not the only guests that could not be accommodated -- which is absurd given that we arrived at breakfast more than 30 minutes before the scheduled ending time.

Also, the Leela arranged salon appointments for myself and a friend. The service at the spa they sent us to was absolutely appalling and downright embarrassing.

I hate to say it, but I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to a friend, rather, I would suggest the Oberoi or the Taj or several other fabulous hotels where the staff go over and above to make you feel welcome and meet all of your needs.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to read about your experience about the external salon appointment and challenge at breakfast time.

While we see late demand for breakfast, especially on leisurely weekends, please accept my apologies that my team was not able to better manage your arrival. Our guests can enjoy breakfast 24 hours a day if they wish, hence I shall personally look into this matter as to why it was not handled more correctly.

Feedback on all our third party services are usually very good. Please allow me to contact you via separate email to find out more in our endeavor to serve the needs of our guests better in the future.

It is most unfortunate that we missed out on your observations mentioned, but we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,
General Manager.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife and I had a five night stay here in February 2014. There are many positives about the hotel: our room (729) was excellent, spacious and with very good lighting, a fine shower and a nice lounge area and desk. The only caveat on the room would be that the mattress of the bed was very firm, so if you like a soft mattress then this could be an issue (there is no possibility to change to a softer mattress, as we discovered). The hotel is located in the relative peace of the Diplomatic Quarter of New Delhi, and is very well appointed, with extremely attractive furniture and decoration. There is a pretty garden, though this is not very large, and you cannot walk around it as you can at the Leela Mumbai.

There are four restaurants in the hotel, of which we tried three. Le Cirque is an offshoot of the New York original, here serving capable Italian food. Jamavar is the smart Indian option, and although pleasant to be honest the food does not compare well to the Jamavars in Bangalore, Mumbai or indeed Goa when that one was open. There is also Qube, the basic dining room of the hotel, offering a buffet at lunch and a range of dishes from assorted cuisines a la carte. The Indian food that we tried there was fine, and although service there was generally good, at one lunch time it was very slow to process our simple order despite an almost empty dining room, and even then they forgot one of the four items in the order. On the other days there were no such issues.

There is a rooftop pool on the 11th floor with a fine view over the city. The pool staff were good, though again there was one problem when there was some unannounced maintenance work being done on some tiles on the pool steps, leaving some jagged edges which on which my wife cut her foot. Only after we reported this incident did a warning sign appear.

Otherwise the staff were plentiful and friendly. Our concierge made a couple of restaurant reservations that did not appear when we arrived at the respective establishments, though who knows where the problem arose in these cases: luckily in both cases the restaurants found us tables.

Overall the experience was a little more mixed than I was expecting. I have stayed over a dozen times at Leela properties in Mumbai, Bangalore, Kerala and Goa, and have always had virtually flawless experiences. This being an almost brand new Leela, I had hoped it would match these, but as noted there were a few nagging issues that made the stay less than the completely smooth experiences I have had at other Leela properties. I would still return here, but I think they need to tighten up a few things to bring it up to the very high standards of other Leela properties.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy Hayler

Thank you for your time to post your feedback. It is certainly disheartening to learn that we didn’t manage to provide a perfect experience during your recent stay with us.

My apologies for the inconvenience caused on the pool and please be assured that we are determined to constantly improve upon our services, as I know that comments from our guest are taken very personal by all of us at The Leela Palace New Delhi.

We sincerely hope you will give us a chance to showcase our improvements and to welcome you back again in not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,