“SIMPLY THE BEST!!”

Ranked #1 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
London, United Kingdom
“SIMPLY THE BEST!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. Customer care was first and foremost the most outstanding feature. Where do they get the wonderful staff? My daughter had pre-warned them it was my birthday and I was overwhelmed with the initial greeting after they transferred us from the airport. Flowers, cakes, sweets, biscuits, and this was on top of everything else. Everyone must have been told it was my birthday because every staff member made sure they wished me the best. I would not consider staying anywhere else. The room was huge, clean, with the most comfortable beds. Loved the penthouse swimming pool and the staff were attentive the whole time. Food and drink was amazing in the clubroom and plentiful. This hotel made our trip and when we returned after a two day tour of Taj Mahal, it was like returning home to friends. Very sad to leave and can't wait to return! Thank you to all concerned especially Sunny the Concierge who went above and beyond with my requests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lynne-dean
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
It is our utmost endeavor to practice our Founder Chairman’s guiding principle of Atithi Devo Bhava, which means guest is god and to ensure each of our guests experience the finest Indian hospitality at all times.

I am very happy that we were able to make a difference in your visit with us and it is a pleasure to read your heart-warming review.

The Palace team, Sunny and I thank you for your wonderful compliments on our staff services and we look forward to welcoming you back as our patrons in the not too distant future.

Louis Sailer,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Awesome - awesome stay in Delhi. Wish I could have stayed longer and that every hotel was like the Leela. Great 5 star property

We were welcomed when we arrived. The staff was always freindly and helpful. The hotel restaurant (breakfast, lunch and dinner) is excellent (not just for a hotel restaurant - but a restaurant in general). The rooms are updated and well appointed. The massage at the spa was one of the best ones I've had.

Would stay here again if I return to Delhi.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you and your family for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi.

I am happy to learn that our spa was the highlight of your stay and that our services and restaurants scored equally high during your visit with us.

We would be very pleased to welcoming you and your family back to the Leela Palace New Delhi soon.

With warmest regards,
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many hotels in New Delhi over the past 20 years and the Leela stands out as the Best! The rooms are elegant and extremely comfortable. The public spaces are grand and the restaurants suburb. The staff exceeds all expectations! A comfortable oasis in a bustling city!
My new hotel of choice in New Delhi.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank World_Traveler_DR
Thank you very much to make The Leela Palace New Delhi stand out and we highly value an endorsement from an experienced traveler such as yourself.

It is a pleasure to know that you are happy with our luxurious accommodations and overall quality of the hotel.

My team joins me in thanking you for your kind recommendation of our staff services and for being our patron.

I hope to have the opportunity to personally meet you upon your next return to The Leela Palace.

Yours sincerely,
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a phenomenal 5-star hotel located in close proximity to both the diplomatic enclave and governmental district of New Delhi. As this was our first visit and we’ve not stayed at any other hotel in this city we have nothing to compare the Leela Palace Hotel to (within New Delhi). However, based on the appearance, ambiance and service that we experienced I must say that the Leela Palace Hotel certainly ranks as one of the better – if not the best - lodging options in New Delhi. It’s probably in a class by itself – think maybe 6-stars!? There is good reason for why this hotel receives such positive reviews and I can only second the comments made by several other reviewers. Distance-wise, the hotel is about 8 miles from New Delhi’s International Airport (and 6 miles from the domestic terminal) but local traffic conditions will determine the time that it will actually take to get from the airport to the hotel. Our flight landed in the late afternoon and the driving time was about 30 minutes. This brings up two points I wish to comment on. As a foreigner, I would NEVER consider renting a car and driving myself around New Delhi because the traffic conditions can be insane and the style of driving will either result in an accident(s) or will stress you out. It simply is not worth it! Secondly, if one is unfamiliar with local transportation options and wants to feel secure, I strongly recommend that you have the hotel arrange an airport pick-up rather than dealing with the hassle of getting a taxi at the airport. Moreover, if you do use the hotel’s transportation services you have the opportunity to feel like a VIP given the fleet of BMW 5-series and 7-series sedans that they utilize. While the hotel is located near a major thoroughfare, and less than 5 miles from the center (Central Business District) of New Delhi, the immediate area surrounding the hotel consists of a mix of urban infrastructure and residential housing which is neither very appealing nor upscale. However, a little to the west of the hotel is a large green-belt expanse consisting of forest and parks. To a certain extent, the hotel is a tad secluded from the more vibrant and commercially active sections of New Delhi. Hence, there will be a rather pronounced difference between the circumjacent area outside the hotel and the swish environment within the hotel which is obvious but a welcoming experience. Bear in mind though that many other hotels in New Delhi will likewise be surrounded by a congruous mixed-use urban environment that may be unattractive. Basically, a sensation of serenity and opulence envelops you once you are within the confines of the hotel. Though not massive the lobby and adjoining sitting area are fairly large and consist of high ceilings, columns and marble floors furnished with Edwardian furniture and plush carpeting complemented by various pieces of artwork, sculpture and items of antiquity discerningly displayed either on the walls or as stand-alone exhibits. The result is that one gets to experience a reincarnation of the opulent manses and lodging facilities of colonial India when it was part of the British Empire as revived in this hotel. For those of you, notably in North America, who may be wondering if there is any other hotel that the Leela Palace Hotel may be compared with, the closest experience I can reference are select hotels found within the Waldorf Astoria group in the USA. Customer service, quality and the overall setting help make the place. We were in a “Premier King” room on the 7th floor on the back side away from the street. The room itself was fairly large, stylishly furnished and decorated in such manner so as to evoke a sensation of classical grandeur, elegance and luxury. Housekeeping service was excellent. Similarly, the bathroom was quite spacious and employed a muted décor involving beige-colored marble walls and flooring combined with glass dividers and shower walls. It was equipped with quality fixtures and well-stocked with a variety of toiletry products. Most importantly, it was kept clean and well-maintained; and, remained so throughout our stay. One caveat regarding the bathroom is be gentle while opening and closing the glass door or it could possibly shatter if swung with too much force. Both the bedroom and bathroom are well-appointed with all the accoutrements that denote a high-class establishment such as quality linens, towels, robes, slippers and other amenities. Business travelers seemed to be the primary clientele of the Leela Palace Hotel. However, this hotel may also function as a short-term “getaway” or “escape” for people seeking a break or diversion from their everyday routine and desiring to indulge in luxury and pampering. Though we came to see the sights and partake of various cultural activities in New Delhi, I can easily see couples opting to “hole up” inside their room for a few days and enjoy a romantic interlude. There is no reason to leave the confines of the hotel to have a great time! Another somewhat unexpected but enjoyable feature of this hotel is their outdoor, roof-top pool and sunbathing deck which can be a relaxing respite after spending time wandering around the city. Moreover, the view over the city from there is awesome provided the fog and/or smog don’t obscure the panoramic view. One note to mention for all first-time visitors staying at any major hotel in New Delhi is that you will have to go through a security checkpoint every time you enter the hotel(s). Though this may be a hassle and may detract from the upscale ambiance of the hotel it is a fact of life and done for your safety and security. As is customary for an upscale lodging establishment, there are a variety of services and amenities that guests may avail themselves of inclusive of a spa, health club and four dining establishments – most of which we did not utilize. However, we ate at the Qube Restaurant on four separate occasions - twice for dinner and twice for breakfast. Overall, the food quality was good and the service was excellent. Some people may find the menu prices high but, the reality is that their charges are typical for a restaurant located within a swank hotel property (I‘ve seen worse pricing at other hotel restaurants as well as non-hotel dining establishments). This restaurant is also the only option for guests wanting to have breakfast on site within the hotel. They proffer a buffet breakfast that is reasonably tasty and I would highly recommend getting a room rate or package that includes it – just to eliminate the need and inconvenience of having to go elsewhere to have breakfast (if you eat breakfast). In our opinion, the quality of food served at breakfast is decent and quite varied. Moreover, given what you get and the price (about $20 per person plus tax if not included), it is a fair deal compared to that of many other hotels. Yes, a few items were bland but other items were delicious such as the fresh fruit, salads, cereal(s), Asian fare and the omelets made-to-order. Apropos the taste of some of the “Western” food entrees, I think it was more their version (flavor-wise) and/or preparation (cooking) of certain “Western” breakfast/food items that left something to be desired. Also, with regard to breakfast, be advised that there are few options for dining outside of the hotel in the immediate surrounding neighborhood – which means it may be your only practical choice. The interior setting of this restaurant is fairly open given the high ceiling and glass walls combined with minimalist furniture and modern décor that generates an aura of coolness which some may construe as lacking in ambience or charm – but, hey, that’s just my opinion. In contrast, the Library Bar is rather intriguing given its classy, colonial décor with dimmed lighting. The concierge desk was helpful and could proffer information and direction to almost anything. Speaking of service and staff, one comment I wish to make before going further is that nearly all of the hotel employees that we encountered were courteous, attentive, dedicated and professional. In other words, they seemed genuinely committed to the welfare of their guests. Not only did they make an effort to be helpful but, they also made you feel welcome and special. For me customer service, client relations and guest rapport are critical aspects of any hospitality operation and in this regard the hotel did not disappoint. Regardless of whether it was the front desk staff, concierge, waitpersons, maids or doormen, they were all polite, friendly and helpful. I would like to specifically acknowledge one of their representatives – Zavi - who was tasked with greeting guests and addressing any needs or concerns they may have. Zavi was not only extremely gracious and enthusiastic in her demeanor but she was also helpful and competent at her job. She made you feel truly welcome at the hotel and thus epitomized the concept of customer service. At this point I’d also like to compliment and thank the hotel staff/management for arranging a birthday cake for my spouse. I had included a note in our reservation and the hotel followed through in a delightful way – THANKS! (BTW, what happened to the pictures that you took of us?) After all this positive commentary one may naturally ask – what are the negatives? There are none per se. But, there are a few things you may wish to consider. They are subjective in nature and may be inconsequential for some. Though we did not stay in a room on the front side of the hotel, facing the thoroughfare, and experience it firsthand, I could see how traffic and related street noise could be troublesome at certain times. Obviously, for light sleepers and people from other time zones, such noise can make sleeping difficult and the room environment less relaxing. But, this is something that can happen at other hotels situated in an urban environment. The best solution for this predicament is to request a room either on a high floor or on the back side of the hotel (away from the street). The second item of concern involves the personnel at the concierge desk. Depending on whom you may be speaking with at a given moment, which will vary with time and date, you may get different and contradictory information. This is something that I don’t like – everybody should be on the same page regarding basic, factual or transactional, information. I’m not talking about topics or items of a subjective nature and open to differing perspectives and/or interpretation. The third item of concern is not really the hotel’s fault but they will take the blame and be cast in a negative light because they made the arrangements. During our stay we had the hotel arrange a private day trip/tour of the major historical and cultural sites and landmarks of New Delhi – a typical request which was readily and ably arranged. Our tour included a competent guide and driver and, perhaps, most important, the price was fair. And, yes, the tour itself was reasonably well executed with the exception of one minor issue and one major issue. The minor issue concerns the difficulty we had in understanding the guide even though he was speaking English. Regrettably, in the course of his oral presentations at various stops along the tour his accent while pronouncing various words made it difficult for us to understand him even though he had excellent command of the English language. Consequently, we did not always comprehend everything said to us which, in turn became a bit frustrating and detracted from our enjoyment of the tour. I know this may not be the politically-correct thing to say but, it is true and others should be made aware of the issue. We also encountered this same issue elsewhere in our travels around India. The bottom line is that you may want to insist that any guide(s) you hire speak English clearly. Now, I’ll deal with the second issue of the tour. In the course of the excursion, we were forced, perhaps duped is a better word, into a high-pressure sales pitch while ostensibly stopping to visit a government-sponsored, artisanal cooperative dedicated to selling authentic Indian crafts and products such as carpets, shawls and jewelry. I say this because of the benign way the stop is incorporated amongst other stops in the tour followed by the slick way the sales pitch is introduced on unsuspecting guests. In our case, the sales pitch involved carpets. I/we will acknowledge that the carpets are authentic, beautiful and of high quality – but, they are NOT cheap! This stop ended up being a time-consuming process and created an unnecessary sense of urgency regarding the rest of the tour because the rush was on for us to see/tour the remaining sites. In fact, we ended up not being able to stop and see one of the landmarks listed on the tour itinerary because we ran out of time. The thing to bear in mind here is that our guide, who we contracted through the hotel, is the one who brought us to this shop and unwelcome experience. Stated simply, this unplanned and unwanted episode detracted from the otherwise positive experience of our stay at the Leela Palace Hotel. As already indicated, the hotel bears culpability because they arranged the tour (even though neither their employees nor facilities are directly involved) – in other words, they were the agent. From the perspective of guest relations, and to protect themselves from such criticism, the hotel should either forewarn guests about this aspect of the city tour or not include it in the tours they organize to begin with. If anything, the hotel should either arrange a separate shopping excursion with guide for those guests who want to go shopping for artisan crafts and products or simply provide reliable and accurate information to their guests regarding suitable places, shops and markets for shopping and then leave it to their guests to pursue the matter on an independent basis. Finally, let’s be clear, the rates charged by this hotel are not cheap. This is a high-end hotel and thus it is an expensive lodging option for staying in New Delhi – particularly with the addition of the various lodging taxes (19% or so). You will spend some money! However, for what you get – an experience of grandeur, elegance, luxury and service – the rates and prices charged by this hotel are relatively fair and comparable with the rates charged by some of the competitors in their peer group. There are certainly many less-expensive lodging options to be had in New Delhi. In order to reduce cost I encourage prospective guests to investigate the various room rates and specials the hotel is offering as well as exploring discounts or promotions proffered by other booking agencies or checking to see if you qualify for a reduced rate based on corporate, professional or personal affiliations. However, at this point it is important to recall the old adage that you get what you pay for. One of the benefits of higher pricing is that it normally ensures a better level of clientele. Apropos our stay, the hotel did not appear full and we obtained a greater level of comfort, satisfaction and enjoyment that may not have been experienced at lesser-priced and/or lower grade hotels. We highly recommend this hotel because of its classical appearance, elegant feel, clean and well-appointed rooms, quality facilities, good food, and excellent customer service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank bjaune
Thank you very much for your detailed review following your recent stay at The Leela Palace New Delhi and commendation of our luxurious accommodations, restaurants and staff services.

I will give me great pleasure to pass on your encouraging praise to Zavi and rest of the teams.
I have further taken a careful note of your valuable feedback and observations on our third party services while on a city tour. I will personally work with the team internally to ensure all out-sourced services are to our guests’ satisfaction.

We look forward to your return to your new home in Delhi soon.

Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the Leela for 3 nights in March and used it as our base to explore Delhi and the surrounding area. The Leela is located in the diplomatic area of Delhi, which provides for good security, but there seemed to be little to do within walking distance; instead we chose private transport or Taxis. The security at the hotel is taken very seriously including guards, metal detectors and main entry vehicle inspection.

We stayed in a standard King room, and it was huge. All the basic amenities were covered including a full mini bar, LCD TV, safe, power adaptor, pillow menu, room service guides, iron, etc. The rooms are a very good size and the bathrooms are huge. This hotel is very new and this is reflected in all areas of the hotel, but especially in the rooms which are super modern and clean.

The food in the hotel is excellent but expensive. "Megu" japanese restaurant in the hotel has amazing japanese cuisine including fish, sushi and kobe/wagyu beef. The main restaurant "The Cube" also had amazing breakfast and dinners. The breakfast was included in our rate and includes both a buffet and the ability to order off a menu. You can mix and match between the two and everything was amazing. The service at breakfast was great and the waiter could tell we were new to India and suggested an indian sampler breakfast, picture included with my review, and it was a great experience.

The rooftop pool is beautiful, and well staffed. On the day we decided to use the pool it was totally full. This was to be expected as it was Holi and many of the guests stayed in the hotel this day as it gets very rowdy on the streets for this annual holiday. The staff did their best to get us chairs and get us on a waitlist for a lounger. They even gave us free snacks and took drink orders from us. As soon as the lounger was available they cleaned, repositioned and made them ready for us. The service here was at a whole new level when you see them mop your wet footprints up almost behind you as you transition from pool back to your loungers.... Really first class..... Only thing which would be great up here would be an actual bar and food that you could walk up to. To get around this they have waiters that take care of everything, which arguably is probably a little classier anyway....

Front desk service was always prompt, and everyone here spoke very good english (same for the waiters in the restaurants and bar tenders). There was never a line and everything was handled very well by the front of the house. Only complain I have here was that we asked them to mail out 10 post cards for us, which they charged us for, but none of them ever made it back to the USA. Not sure if hotel never mailed them or if they got lost in the post system.

You really cannot go wrong staying here. It is one of the best hotels in Delhi on TA for a reason. First class service in a new hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying at The Leela Palace New Delhi and making us a part of your India excursion.

I am pleased to note that all our facilities and award-winning restaurants were to your satisfaction and that we got a chance to prepare some delicious Indian breakfast delights for you to experience. My team joins me in thanking you for your commendation of our staff services and accommodations and for recognizing our team at the pool.

I am terrible sorry that the post cards have not reached their destinations yet and while I am confident that our team followed our daily postcard drop procedures rigorously; we still hope that they will appear in time. We are very sorry for that.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Leela Palace New Delhi in not too distant future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My stay at the Leela Palace was for 3 nights (22nd-25th June 14) and it was simply put..beyond exceptional! I believe it has surpassed my experiences at all the hotels I've stayed at around the world. The staff go to great lengths to please guests. As such, I am certain that each guest's experience will be different and unique. This is arguably the hallmark of a great establishment. Despite having well over 200 rooms, the Leela Palace still manages to deliver personalized service to each and every guest.

There were many highlights of my stay and these were some of them:
- In room check-in despite staying in the base category room (although I did upgrade to the Royal Club later on)
- Being greeted by a number of staff each time I entered the hotel
- The extremely knowledgeable and helpful concierge staff
- World-class cuisine both at the Qube and Le Cirque. Of course, there are other amazing restaurants in the hotel as well
- The best housekeeping staff in the world...period. Let me just dwell on this point. Every single time I returned to my room, I smiled to myself (I'm serious!). The attention-to-detail by the hotel's housekeeping team is just remarkable. From the way my toiletries are arranged neatly on a tray in the bathroom, to how my shoes are arranged according to size and how the bed is perfectly made each and every time. There was even a day when housekeeping made my room thrice (including the turn down service) as I had taken a short nap during the day. Water bottles are quickly replenished, and absolutely nothing was overlooked. Despite not having the chance to personally thank the housekeepers, I do hope that the comments I left in the comment card were passed on to the team.

Was it 100% perfect? To be honest, no. But the amazing service by most of the staff made up for the really minor misses. For instance, there is credence to what was mentioned by one of the reviewers about the Royal Club. Twice there was no one to greet me as I entered the lounge, a female staff was walking around the club with arms folded (body language is important!) and upon check-out, I was told there was an issue with the system and I had to head down to the lobby for check-out instead. But I'd like to impress upon the fact that there were staff at the Royal Club who were outstanding and this compensated for the issues I mentioned.

Overall, the Leela Palace is an icon when it comes to service. Don't worry about the hard product, the rooms are certainly immaculate but it is the service that makes for a memorable experience. I highly recommend choosing a room with Royal Club benefits. It is undoubtedly value for money especially if you'd like to enjoy the airport transfers. I do hope to return again soon, this time with family. I did name the staff who made a difference to my stay in the comment card and hope that my gratitude was passed on to them. I wish the Leela Palace great success and have full confidence that guests will be enamored by the Leela's hospitality!

Room Tip: Royal Club rooms are value for money