“Calm and good Service in the Budget category.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sunder

The Sunder
Ranked #324 of 1,053 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Kannur, India
“Calm and good Service in the Budget category.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

We are 6 peoples from Kerala stayed in two rooms for 2 days.Finding the Hotel location is difficult better call the Hotel and hand over the Phone to Taxi driver.Hotel Sunder looks small and cheap from outside but spacious and neat inside.Good & Co -operating staffs.They will provide you Good Blankets and Room heater without extra charges.Bed is large enough to sleep for 3 adults.If you paid for Extra Guest you will get additional bed and Blankets.
Thinks we don't like are as follows :
1.Need to call each and every time to switch on Water Heater.
2.Need to request to switch on Air conditioner even though we paid for an AC room.
3.Instead of powering AC they provided us Room heaters and we need to suffer its noise and health hazards.(you may need to keep your toilet door open whole night for ventilation.
4.We ordered dinner but really disappointed. Too much salty food (Fried rice and Biriyani) and unable to eat ,Complained but no use.) .
5. Hotel Location is difficult to find even for Taxi or Auto drivers .
6. Wine Shop just near by the hotel.( Walking outside at night is not recommended for Family groups).
7.No parking area ,the Hotel opens to main road.But these will not affect your stay inside.Surely no Noise or disturbances.
#Taxi fare is Rs 250 from New Delhi Railway station.Just around 2 KM distance and need to travel through congested short cuts.Beware of Drivers and agents at Railway station since they will tell you this hotel is not in Good area & not Family friendly.
To catch Metro train get Cycle rickshaw or auto (around Rs 20 per person) from Hotel outside & go to Ajmeer gate entry of Delhi Metro station.
Better to avail Hotel's own taxi for drop at railway station while check out .costs Rs 250.
# Keep some 20 or 50 rupees notes in pocket since room boys will demand for tips while check out.
# If you need call taxi reception boy will arrange it.

Room Tip: Better not to order food like Fried rice or Biriyani. You cant return or complain because they are b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Vipin C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chaibasa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Overall good experience.Hotel staffs are very good in behaviour & cooperative in nature.Rooms were clean & well maintained.I will recommend to my other freinds to stay in this hotel as the locality is nearby NEW DELHI Railway Station.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank parpan2013
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

They had pishy staff they expected high tips. When i wanted to get some fruit from across the road they insisted i could leave and said they'd get them for me. They said 4 times the amount they should have been and the man kept the change as his tip without asking.
They were very pushy, especially the travel agent.
The hotel driver we were given for the day was very grumpy, rude and kept taking us to fancy places he would get commission rather than the places we actually wanted to go to.
The rooms were reasonable though.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank squeash

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This was our 1st hotel we stayed in in India really didn't know what to expect and was very pleased with what we found. They arranged airport pick up for us at around 5am and organised a tour of Rajasthan for us for a relatively good price! Staff are helpful and friendly

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flowerpower2015
New Tehri, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Last week, I was in New Delhi to attend few important meetings.I had booked Hotel The Sundar situated in the Pahar Ganj.The booking was made by me online. Hence I was not sure about the hotel but since it was pretty cheap given the fact that they were offering free pickup from the Airport, which otherwise must had cost me a few hundred bucks and added to that the breakfast was also part of the cost. I must here thank them for the simple fact that despite that my flight was late by a few hours and it was beyond midnight by the time I came out of the Airport, their cab was still waiting for me to my pleasant surprise. This obviously saved lots of time and I felt truly relaxed.

The hotel was situated at a very convenient place and well connected by all modes of transport including metro and this saved lots of time and money. Food was just O.K.but the staff was very helpful. I will surely recommend this hotel among my contacts. There was though room for improvement in few areas and for that I gave them my suggestions and they accepted them with smiles intact on their faces.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Himanshubi
Port Macquarie, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel was quite adequate for the price paid for the area that it is in. It is probably a safe bet for a traveller to Delhi, while not anything too amazing either.

The rooms were reasonable and presentable, and of a better than average Indian hotel room cleanliness. There was good airconditioning, ceiling fan, cable TV, and ok bathroom. The bedding was fresh and comfortable. Internet or wi-fi, is only available in the lobby itself.

I found the location to be very easy and convenient. Around the corner on the main road that heads towards the New Dehli station, there is a mini-market style grocery, and some nice cheapish restaurants and the like.

You can pretty easily walk from here to the New Dehli metro, and also to other streets in the Pahar Ganj area, which is one of the more interesting parts to stay in New Dehli.

The staff are adequate and friendly and helpful, though the drivers of the hotel try the usual scams such as trying to get you to pay for 'parking fees' or extra to use the air con etc.... but as long as you are firm you can get out of these petty scams for extra rupees which you will find all over India.

I did like being able to book the complimentary train or airport pick-up online as part of a room package. This worked quite well, but as I mentioned, be ready for the driver to try and get you to pay for extras! Once I complained firmly the driver did back down however.

The included breakfast in the room package was a little bland, and uninspired.

I felt like my belongings were safe here, and over all, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, and found it to be a pretty good hotel for the price in this area.

Overall, the hotel does try to ensure the guests are happy and enjoying there stay, which isn't always the case in Indian hotels. I would probably think about staying here again if I was passing through Delhi, as I liked the location, and the rooms were of a decent standard for the price being paid.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BMOL
Reykjavik
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have stayed in numerous hotels in India and this is by far one of the worse ones.
We stayed one night in August - except for the free airport pickup everything else was horrible.
We bought an AC room but thy turned it off before we went to bed. Twice we had a rude staff member knock on our door and try to get us to eat at the rooftop resturant. We politly declined but they were really pushy and we had to make up some story about meeting freinds to get rid of him. The room was tiny and dirty. Lizards under the bed, black hairs on the pillow and the bathroom was horrible. So nasty we did not dare take a shower.

This hotel is dirt cheap.. and dirt is what you will get.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends