“Pathetic staff and completely avoidable”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Visaya

The Visaya
Ranked #117 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
New Delhi, India
“Pathetic staff and completely avoidable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We are provided with accommodation by the company for overnight stay. Our company regularly books 2-3 rooms on more than one occasion every month.

Hotel is located in next to a busy road...so rooms towards the park are quieter. But overall service is average. Staff don't turn up till we call them more than twice. Front desk staff mannerism is pretty poor. The rooms are big, but lack quiet a few basic amnesties for the price of the hotel. The food spread for the breakfast is minuscule compared to the other hotels we are provided in the same area. Restaurant is pretty expensive. The terrible part of it is the automatic key system was not working from the time we checked in and we had to be behind the pathetic staff members to open our rooms!!! There are good alternates nearby and we have recommended the same for the company people now for our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. On the outset I would like to apologize that the service did not meet your expectation. I have investigated the matter but have not been able to ascertain the incidents.
I have noted your comment about the electronic key system malfunction and have strongly taken it up with the company responsible for the locks.
I again apologize for the inconveniences that you faced and would like to know the instances. May I request you to please send me an email at gm@thevisaya.com with your contact details so that I could speak to you at your convenience.

Sunil Johar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

to goitodelhi

letter sent to dept of Tourism India

Dear Sir

I prepaid my hotel accommodation at the Visaya Hotel and arrived there on Saturday morning

By Saturday afternoon my room was flooded with water from the rain. it was coming down the walls and created a pool of water on the floor. This water most probably was electric was it eventually fused the power points in the room.

I complained and demanded another room as no alternative was even offered.

They showed me two rooms smaller and with less amenities such as power points for computer etc..

The worse thing was that not even the door key worked and I had to call the reception desk to get access to my room every time I went back from reception.

Even the kettle had to be boiled by putting it on the ground as the cord was too short.

They charged me for full internet access even though with the power failure I did not even get 25% of the allowance for which I paid.

I think that this hotel has an obligation to repay my deposit as I had to leave on Sunday morning due to the substandard conditions of the room.

I am staying at the Royal Plaza which far more accommodating to my needs and the hotel and staff are fabulous.

I think that the Visaya Hotel should be closed and health AND SAFETY STANDARDS BE CHECKED IMMEDIATELY.

I await your reply

Thanking you

Mr. A. Caravousanos

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank andreascc8
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Mr. Caravousanos,

Thank you very much for your feedback in connection with your stay at our property. At the outset I would like to apologize for your poor experience during your stay with us and let me assure you that such an incident has never happened in the hotel before. Delhi faced a major thunderstorm on that unfortunate day and the air sealing in the window was not up to the mark. I had personally seen your room after your check out and also checked with the staff that had interacted with you. The water was coming from the window joint and was nowhere near any electrical point.
As the hotel only had 02 available rooms that night, my staff offered both of them to you. They were of the same category but did not meet your expectation. I had already instructed my team to upgrade you to the next category of room however; you decided to check out before I could personally meet with you.

The power of the hotel went off as the power lines of the entire locality were shut by the power distribution company in view of the severe thunderstorm. Sir, let me assure you that The Visaya meets all the statutory safety standards. The hotel undergoes regular surprise inspections from the various public safety departments of the government.

As your reservation was through a travel agency, I had already instructed them to refund you the money for the dates when you were at Royal Plaza.

Once again, I apologize for the shortcomings that we had during your time with us. I know we can do better and have already instituted the necessary maintenance work required.

I hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back some time in the future and if I can help with that, please do not hesitate to directly contact me at gm@thevisaya.com

Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

What does one do when the hotel manager and front office staff do the age old "bait and switch" on us?! Upon my four night stay at The Visaya hotel in south Delhi, I reckon I was short-changed by about $80 by unscrupulous front office staff, and a manager who turned a blind-eye to my complaints.

As a family of four (2 adults and 2 children), we called the Visaya hotel and booked a Superior room for 4 nights, with a hefty surcharge for an extra bed to accommodate all of us. Shortly after our reservation, I noticed on their own website that there was a sale going on, and the exact same room was going for less than what we had reserved for. So, I called the hotel manager again to ensure we got the sale price. We were convinced by the hotel's manager, Amit, that we would be upgraded to a Deluxe room which is better for us, and therefore we should keep the original booking. He sent a confirmation email about setting aside a Deluxe room for us. Upon check-in, I was assured by the front office staff that the room I was getting was a Deluxe room. However, the next morning, I happened to notice another room that appeared much larger to ours. I spoke to one of the maintenance staff on the floor and discovered that the room that was given to us was a Superior room, and not a Deluxe room as had been claimed. During the discussions, I also realised that in order to make space for the extra bed, they actually had to remove some furniture from the room too! The front office went on the defensive and claimed that the room that was given to us was one of the best in the building and that they "sometimes" use that room as a Deluxe room. They seem more interested in knowing who among their staff gave me this information. They offered to move us to another room if we wanted, which was not at all the point of my discontent. I expressed a desire to talk with the manager a couple of times during my stay, Amit, but I was never contacted by him. During check-out, the front office staff claimed that they did not have authorization to make any changes but no supervisor was available at that time to address my concerns. I couldn't believe that not only was I charged more than what I should have in the first place because of this "bait and switch", but the front office staff and the manager didn't even appear to think their behaviour was unscrupulous. I had to go catch a plane and had to check out in the middle of the night without resolving this issue. I am yet to receive any correspondence by the manager and I am yet to receive my refund for the difference.

A few other comments on the facility, and I am trying to be as objective as possible in my review despite the bad experience noted above:

- maintenance and restaurant staff were very courteous
- the facility is fairly clean, but not extra-ordinary, compared to other 4 star hotels we stayed in other cities during our trip.
- breakfast buffet has a limited number of choices (compared to the other 4 star hotels we stayed at during this trip to India), and the food quality was good enough.
- the room was small (smaller than a standard room in N. America) and the in-room facilities were standard.
- even though the rooms are non-smoking, we got cigarette odour in our rooms through AC, and the maintenance staff said that probably some other guests were smoking in the room even though they weren't supposed to. Nothing was done about my concerns, that I am aware of.
- the place is not located in a convenient place. We felt that we couldn't have easy access to other restaurants or a convenience store without resorting to a vehicle. We had to go quite a distance to get to some quality restaurants (by that I mean hygienic and safe).
- Room is not convenient for families, but this appears to be an issue with many hotels in Delhi. The concept of 2 double-beds don't seems to be there.

For the money we pay, we should expect better service and better behaviour. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to others. If you are looking for South Delhi hotels, Saket area is a better bet since they are closer to amenities.

Room Tip: Not even a written guarantee helped me with this Hotel. So, don't bother with this one. Choose a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Guest,

At the outset I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am extremely concerned with your experience during your stay. I have personally investigated you complaints, and I wanted to assure that I went to the depth of the complaints. The room which was given to you was indeed a Deluxe Room. However, as room sizes in our hotel vary a little for all Deluxe Rooms your perception of a Superior Room is understandable. Also as we were facing some difficultly with the Sofa bed in the room prior to your arrival and there were 2 children staying with you, I had taken the liberty to have it replaced with an extra bed which was most importantly required by you.

Sir, the room which was given you is arguably is one of the best rooms in the hotel and is one of the most sought after room series by our regular guests. I also apologize on behalf of Amit not meeting you.

With respect to your other comments, I have taken note of the breakfast buffet spread and smoke smell and the corrective measures have been taken

I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve you and change your perception of The Visaya. To process a reservation I request you to please contact me directly on gm@thevisaya.com.

I hope to personally welcome you to The Visaya during your next visit to New Delhi.

Warm regards,

The Visaya
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel was located about a 10min walk from the metro station which allowed good access to the airport and other train stations. We stayed one night prior to flying out early in the morning and the room was fine for that. Only downside was that the wifi didnt work in the corner room we had, we could only get reception in the lobby areas

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know about your experience. I am particularly concerned about non availability of Wi-Fi in your room. As per your feedback, I have had the router replaced and the Wi-Fi network is now working fine. I apologize that the experience did not match the others you had at the hotel.
Our aim is to have a high standard of product and presentation and in order to achieve this ambitious goal we require constructive feedback like yours and take them into serious consideration.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Visaya.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Visa ya has a good location, the rooms seem larger than normal hotel rooms with comfortable beds. Staff is courteous and prompt. The hotel decor is a plus with decent spread for breakfast. The bathroom is also very clean and tidy. Stay in rooms which overlook the club next door. Gives a roomier feeling. Not tried the food yet besides the breakfast which was yummy.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms that overlook the club next door, gives a roomier feeling
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your very kind review. I am glad you liked the décor of the hotel and you enjoyed your room. Your mention of larger rooms is much appreciated as it is true that The Visaya has one of the largest rooms in the city within its competitors.

I am happy that the housekeeping effort of the team was noticed by you. We try our best to be your home away from home. You are the reason that we are here, so we will do whatever it takes to make your stay as seamless as possible.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is very important to us and I hope to welcome you back at The Visaya during your next visit to Delhi.

Jaipur, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed in hotel in June 2013 for two nights. The hotel is nice, neat and clean. The bathroom was good and room have comfortable bed and effective air conditioning. The breakfast and food was good and have lot of varieties to cater the need of the individual. The housekeeping and room service was up to the mark. The front desk staff was very courteous and helping.
The location is very close to Haus Khas mero station. ( Only walking distance) and malviya nagar is nearby market area also Saket is next to this.

Overall stay was comfortable.

Room Tip: all room are good
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank godara_op
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel and we are delighted to hear about your positive experience.

We are happy to know that you consider our location to be excellent especially with our closeness to the metro station and the commercial & shopping district of Saket.

It is indeed a matter of pride to learn that you were happy with the room, the services, the staff and made your stay a comfortable one.

We are happy that our constant efforts have been reflected in our services and we always strive to improve this further.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Visaya.

Best Regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Its a good boutique hotel with a good location. It has close proximity to metro station. The rooms are well appointed and the room service is also decent. If you are looking for airport transfers, it is better to arrange from outside as they charge almost the double.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay. We are delighted to know that you consider our location to be excellent especially with our closeness to the metro station. I am also pleased to note that you liked your room and the décor of the hotel.

We have built our company’s reputation by paying attention to the needs of our guests and we are pleased to learn we exceeded your expectations especially in terms of “value for money”.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.