“Great experience while staying with hotel "The Visaya"”
Review of The Visaya

The Visaya
Ranked #112 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Before 3-5 days ago, I have stayed with hotel The Visaya with my family and I am sharing my experience with this hotel. Really its a fantastic experience for me. All the staff of this hotel is very good and very-2 supportive in nature. They were taking personal care of their guests. Check In facility is excellent and very fast. Food is very good and tasty as well. The services of F & B deptt is very good. Rooms are large, clean and well maintained. Housekeeping services are also very good. Conveyance is also very good here, as this hotel is very closed to Hauz Khas metro station. There is only 5 mins walk from Hauz Khas metro. Really its a good and safe hotel to stay with family. In future whenever I will come back in Delhi, I will again stay with this hotel and I will also recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Aakash650
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay. We have built our company’s reputation by paying attention to the needs of our guests and we are pleased to learn we exceed your family’s expectations. We are happy to know that you consider our location to be excellent especially with our closeness to the Hauz Khas metro station.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Was my first trip to Delhi and a local chose this hotel. Was a really nice place and the food was excellent, enjoyed the breakfast downstairs. The outside area in the back of the hotel was calming. Close to shopping and nice restaurants. The room was really clean and had every convenience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 4563am
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel and we are delighted to hear about your positive experience.

It is indeed a matter of pride to learn that you were happy with the room, the services and the staff. We are happy that our constant efforts have been reflected in our services and we always strive to improve this further.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Visaya.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is great place to stay. The people here are excellent - very polite, helpful, co-operative friendly and most importantly, caring ! They take care of each and every need of yours. The rooms are neet and clean. Get lot of testy delicacies is break fast. u get good speed internet with Wi-fi. Good connectivity with public transport.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay. We have built our company’s reputation by paying attention to the needs of our guests and we are pleased to learn we exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

The staff at The Visaya were very good and took personal care of guests. The food was also tasty and the rooms & toilets were clean.Good hotel to stay with family
and is in panchila park very near with Haus Khas metro station.Whenever i will come back in delhi,i will stay with The Visaya only and i recommanded to this hotel to my friends also .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read how much you enjoy staying at The Visaya.

I will share your feedback with the rest of the team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We are provided with accommodation by the company for overnight stay. Our company regularly books 2-3 rooms on more than one occasion every month.

Hotel is located in next to a busy road...so rooms towards the park are quieter. But overall service is average. Staff don't turn up till we call them more than twice. Front desk staff mannerism is pretty poor. The rooms are big, but lack quiet a few basic amnesties for the price of the hotel. The food spread for the breakfast is minuscule compared to the other hotels we are provided in the same area. Restaurant is pretty expensive. The terrible part of it is the automatic key system was not working from the time we checked in and we had to be behind the pathetic staff members to open our rooms!!! There are good alternates nearby and we have recommended the same for the company people now for our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. On the outset I would like to apologize that the service did not meet your expectation. I have investigated the matter but have not been able to ascertain the incidents.
I have noted your comment about the electronic key system malfunction and have strongly taken it up with the company responsible for the locks.
I again apologize for the inconveniences that you faced and would like to know the instances. May I request you to please send me an email at gm@thevisaya.com with your contact details so that I could speak to you at your convenience.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

to goitodelhi

letter sent to dept of Tourism India

Dear Sir

I prepaid my hotel accommodation at the Visaya Hotel and arrived there on Saturday morning

By Saturday afternoon my room was flooded with water from the rain. it was coming down the walls and created a pool of water on the floor. This water most probably was electric was it eventually fused the power points in the room.

I complained and demanded another room as no alternative was even offered.

They showed me two rooms smaller and with less amenities such as power points for computer etc..

The worse thing was that not even the door key worked and I had to call the reception desk to get access to my room every time I went back from reception.

Even the kettle had to be boiled by putting it on the ground as the cord was too short.

They charged me for full internet access even though with the power failure I did not even get 25% of the allowance for which I paid.

I think that this hotel has an obligation to repay my deposit as I had to leave on Sunday morning due to the substandard conditions of the room.

I am staying at the Royal Plaza which far more accommodating to my needs and the hotel and staff are fabulous.

I think that the Visaya Hotel should be closed and health AND SAFETY STANDARDS BE CHECKED IMMEDIATELY.

I await your reply

Thanking you

Mr. A. Caravousanos

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank andreascc8
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Mr. Caravousanos,

Thank you very much for your feedback in connection with your stay at our property. At the outset I would like to apologize for your poor experience during your stay with us and let me assure you that such an incident has never happened in the hotel before. Delhi faced a major thunderstorm on that unfortunate day and the air sealing in the window was not up to the mark. I had personally seen your room after your check out and also checked with the staff that had interacted with you. The water was coming from the window joint and was nowhere near any electrical point.
As the hotel only had 02 available rooms that night, my staff offered both of them to you. They were of the same category but did not meet your expectation. I had already instructed my team to upgrade you to the next category of room however; you decided to check out before I could personally meet with you.

The power of the hotel went off as the power lines of the entire locality were shut by the power distribution company in view of the severe thunderstorm. Sir, let me assure you that The Visaya meets all the statutory safety standards. The hotel undergoes regular surprise inspections from the various public safety departments of the government.

As your reservation was through a travel agency, I had already instructed them to refund you the money for the dates when you were at Royal Plaza.

Once again, I apologize for the shortcomings that we had during your time with us. I know we can do better and have already instituted the necessary maintenance work required.

I hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back some time in the future and if I can help with that, please do not hesitate to directly contact me at gm@thevisaya.com

Reviewed 18 August 2013

What does one do when the hotel manager and front office staff do the age old "bait and switch" on us?! Upon my four night stay at The Visaya hotel in south Delhi, I reckon I was short-changed by about $80 by unscrupulous front office staff, and a manager who turned a blind-eye to my complaints.

As a family of four (2 adults and 2 children), we called the Visaya hotel and booked a Superior room for 4 nights, with a hefty surcharge for an extra bed to accommodate all of us. Shortly after our reservation, I noticed on their own website that there was a sale going on, and the exact same room was going for less than what we had reserved for. So, I called the hotel manager again to ensure we got the sale price. We were convinced by the hotel's manager, Amit, that we would be upgraded to a Deluxe room which is better for us, and therefore we should keep the original booking. He sent a confirmation email about setting aside a Deluxe room for us. Upon check-in, I was assured by the front office staff that the room I was getting was a Deluxe room. However, the next morning, I happened to notice another room that appeared much larger to ours. I spoke to one of the maintenance staff on the floor and discovered that the room that was given to us was a Superior room, and not a Deluxe room as had been claimed. During the discussions, I also realised that in order to make space for the extra bed, they actually had to remove some furniture from the room too! The front office went on the defensive and claimed that the room that was given to us was one of the best in the building and that they "sometimes" use that room as a Deluxe room. They seem more interested in knowing who among their staff gave me this information. They offered to move us to another room if we wanted, which was not at all the point of my discontent. I expressed a desire to talk with the manager a couple of times during my stay, Amit, but I was never contacted by him. During check-out, the front office staff claimed that they did not have authorization to make any changes but no supervisor was available at that time to address my concerns. I couldn't believe that not only was I charged more than what I should have in the first place because of this "bait and switch", but the front office staff and the manager didn't even appear to think their behaviour was unscrupulous. I had to go catch a plane and had to check out in the middle of the night without resolving this issue. I am yet to receive any correspondence by the manager and I am yet to receive my refund for the difference.

A few other comments on the facility, and I am trying to be as objective as possible in my review despite the bad experience noted above:

- maintenance and restaurant staff were very courteous
- the facility is fairly clean, but not extra-ordinary, compared to other 4 star hotels we stayed in other cities during our trip.
- breakfast buffet has a limited number of choices (compared to the other 4 star hotels we stayed at during this trip to India), and the food quality was good enough.
- the room was small (smaller than a standard room in N. America) and the in-room facilities were standard.
- even though the rooms are non-smoking, we got cigarette odour in our rooms through AC, and the maintenance staff said that probably some other guests were smoking in the room even though they weren't supposed to. Nothing was done about my concerns, that I am aware of.
- the place is not located in a convenient place. We felt that we couldn't have easy access to other restaurants or a convenience store without resorting to a vehicle. We had to go quite a distance to get to some quality restaurants (by that I mean hygienic and safe).
- Room is not convenient for families, but this appears to be an issue with many hotels in Delhi. The concept of 2 double-beds don't seems to be there.

For the money we pay, we should expect better service and better behaviour. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to others. If you are looking for South Delhi hotels, Saket area is a better bet since they are closer to amenities.

Room Tip: Not even a written guarantee helped me with this Hotel. So, don't bother with this one. Choose a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
gm-thevisaya, General Manager at The Visaya, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guest,

At the outset I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am extremely concerned with your experience during your stay. I have personally investigated you complaints, and I wanted to assure that I went to the depth of the complaints. The room which was given to you was indeed a Deluxe Room. However, as room sizes in our hotel vary a little for all Deluxe Rooms your perception of a Superior Room is understandable. Also as we were facing some difficultly with the Sofa bed in the room prior to your arrival and there were 2 children staying with you, I had taken the liberty to have it replaced with an extra bed which was most importantly required by you.

Sir, the room which was given you is arguably is one of the best rooms in the hotel and is one of the most sought after room series by our regular guests. I also apologize on behalf of Amit not meeting you.

With respect to your other comments, I have taken note of the breakfast buffet spread and smoke smell and the corrective measures have been taken

I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve you and change your perception of The Visaya. To process a reservation I request you to please contact me directly on gm@thevisaya.com.

I hope to personally welcome you to The Visaya during your next visit to New Delhi.

Warm regards,