“Extremely enlightening !!”

and up
Salaam Baalak Trust City Walk and Volunteering at a Local Community Kitchen
Ranked #66 of 578 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing insight into the life of the 2500 homeless children living around New Delhi railway station.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I read some reviews and I shake my head ! "too short" "could of got info at a lecture" ....let me say first that we arrived at the meeting point (5 in my party) got off of our bus to Monsoon rains!,!! Of course as we were well prepared our umbrellas were back at the hotel ! One of the guides ran somewhere and was back in a minute with some,The guides who are former street children take you to a rescue point ,a residential home for the children and share their story with you! They don't ask you for a thing and suggest a $4.00 donation! It is quite easy to envision what they must of gone through as you walk in the streets in this area. I saw heart reaching sites... A little 3year old boy completely nude dodging traffic ,all alone .... As sad as the sites and stories are ,the smiles as you meet the little boys in the residential home are polar opposite . They're are also student volunteers from all over educating these children ... Truly a wonderful thing to donate some time and money on your vacation.. If your like me and want to "feel "and "see" the pulse of the city....

2  Thank catherine115
in 3 reviews
"hour walk"
"delhi railway station"

Reviewed 1 July 2012

5 stars! I arrived shaking because India really hits you full on - even if you are a seasoned solo traveller. But this walk mainly comprises of english speaking well-travelled fellow travellers, who in my case, eased my 'pain' and soothed me in to starting to enjoy India and all it has to offer.

If you want 5 star luxury and AC coaches, this walk will certainly shock you. If you want to see the 'real India' then this walk is a MUST.

Run by former street children, whose stories really can make you weep, but at the same time feel so humbled by their escape from such hardness and their determination to do well inspires you,

You get to see that India really does have Social Workers (I wrongly assumed none would work here as there work would surely be too much!) and this Trust does so much for children who run away from home for one reason or another.

We were shown one of the contact centres by the station and walked through the streets of Parah Ganj (Hey that's my hotel! I exclaimed at one point....!) and end up visiting one of the shelters where the joy and smiles of the children stay with you forever.

Once again, if you want to understand why there are so many street children and what you can do to help them, do this walk. It will open your eyes and open your heart!

1  Thank jayelbee
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Interesting, enlightening but somewhat too short and shallow. We walked in total maybe 1km. I had expected for a longer, more detailed and intense view on street life of Delhi. Visiting the orhpans in their house was lovely, I wish I'd come better prepared - with something, anything to donate.

Our guide, former streetchild for 5 days, shared us eagerly his own story of those days in the streets of Delhi.

Good experience, good cause but otherwise rather mediocre. The same information we got could have been given by some lecturer in an auditorium.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was one of the best things that I did in Delhi! The guides (Shahadutt and Ajay) were fantastic - full of information that you would otherwise not know and they were very open and honest about their own stories. The SBT do amazing work and it is great to see this in action! This is a first class tour!

Visited November 2010

1  Thank Scottishgal5
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This is one of the best things you will do in India so make sure you do. I wished i had read the reviews ahead of time and managed to bring along a few things for the children along with the rupees. You are met at New Delhi railway station by a group of guides who are all former street children but assisted to greater things by SBT. One will lead the tour and the other will hang back to make sure the entire group is kept together and crosses the road safely. Our tour guide was simply divine, very funny and giving of his life story and also good at including the group by asking questions and creating conversation rather than just a one way talk. The tour itself takes you through Old Delhi and you'll be shown features of the street life you will never pick out yourself. Take lots of rupees, the humble request for 200 which goes toward SBT's work for children will not seem anywhere near enough once you have completed your walk. Cannot recommend this more.

4  Thank Latika B