“Wonderful experience”

Salaam Baalak Trust City Walk
Ranked #63 of 516 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing insight into the life of the 2500 homeless children living around New Delhi railway station.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I recently went on this walk. While we do wander through the streets and alleys of Paharganj, it was not a history lesson of the area or buildings. Rather, it was a lovely introduction to the work of Salaam Baalak Trust. We were given its history and shown one of its intake buildings as well as one of the buildings where the children can live and learn. This tour was conducted by one of the organization's success stories and was most informative. We especially loved the opportunity to interact with with the young boys. We played paddy cake and arm wrestled and they were so excited. Their faces were aglow. They are very well behaved. It is clear this organization is doing good work and the many success stories show it. We are so glad we took the time to learn about, and witness, the darker side of life in Delhi and how, with help, success can arise from it.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Salaam Baalak do great work creating safe places for homeless children in Delhi. Learning about their work, and the lives of the children they support, is a real eye-opener. I was slightly apprehensive that the tour would feel voyeuristic - a bunch of tourists taking photos of street kids as if they're animals in a zoo - but as other reviewers have said, it's done much more sensitively than that.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

fantastic what they do here, was an honour to visit children are wonderful and our guide was perfect.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

India is a mix of everything and as a tourist or resident, you should do this tour, just at least, to not leave the country as an ignorant about the street kids that you can't miss around you while walking or driving.

I use to always read bad reviews before the good ones because I trust them more and Salaam Balaak Trust have one. I totally believe that this reviewer had a bad experience. This can really happen (I live in Delhi since almost 2 years and this inconsistency of service is pretty common).

Nevertheless, in my case, we had an amazing tour and that is why I define it as a "must-do" !

I did several tours with others organizations (check my review about Heritage Walks with Surekha Narain which was a total disaster). When I compare all of them, at least, I know that with Salaam Baalak Trust, I became less ignorant and I did a "small" good deed to a useful and essential NGO.

Don't expect to see poverty and beggers. You will just see, hear and realize the difficult stories of some street kids, their dreams and the efforts of a dedicated team to give them a better life.

2  Thank A Z
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Absolutely recommended. Don't expect to be walked through the streets of Delhi and do some sightseeing of poor children in slums that you can take pictures of. That's not what it is all about.
The city walk is guided by one to three kids who used to live in the street and you will be going with them from the meeting point to the Salaam Baalak Trust (SBT) center in the station and finally to the "headquarter" of the association, where you will meet the kids the SBT is taking care of. You will stop two-three times along the walk so that the guide can show you few things but especially speak about the idea and principles behind the association, his own experience etc..
During the walk you have the possibility to speak with the boys and girls from the association who are walking with you so you should really do it, they are really nice and open to any kind of question and discussion.
In the last office of the SBT we visited, we had the possibility to meet with some of the small kids who were having a class, we played a bit with them and danced with them. It was really a great experience. Although nobody says you can't take pictures, I wouldn't do so. Some of the people who were with us took a lot of pictures and I felt really embarrassed for them. I think that is disrespectful of the kids and the association itself.
Finally we got to know the detailed story of our guide and of other kids who were helped studying by SBT (what they are doing now, their jobs etc..).
You pay 200 rupees per person for the city walk and you can decide to leave tips to the guides. You can also buy some gadgets from the association (postcards, calendar, t shirt and a wonderful photo album)