“Good base”

Ranked #677 of 1,053 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good base”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My partner and I stayed at Hare Krishna's for our last 2 nights in India. For 600 rupees a night I couldnt have asked for much more. The staff were helpful, if a little stern looking, and when we needed toilet roll and soap they were happy to supply it. The rooms have no windows, and the floors could do with a good clean, but this was only a base for us. We had hot water everytime we had a shower, which is quite a rarity in India. The roof terrace is lovely, even with the frequent zapping sound coming from the insect killing machine thing! They do a really good lassie, so make sure you try one! They have the internet which is cheap to use, and 24 hour check in which is a great bonus if you are arriving late. If your just looking for a base this place is perfect. If you are looking for luxury and home comforts, perhaps you shouldnt really be going to India!!
I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Natalie C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Swanage, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We ended up staying here by accident after a long journey and looking at lots of hotels we settled for hare krishna.. Cell like windowless grubby rooms for a start.. no hot water after it was promised 24hr hot water sir!! The staff wake up and start shouting at 5am.. telephones ringing at 5.15.. so don't expect any sleep!! To top it all we visited the rooftop restaurant ordered our food and ate it.. the bill came they tried to overcharge us and when we complained the waiter started shouting at my wife saying it was our fault that they got the order wrong???? arguing with us in front of other customers.. a crazy situation!! i complained to the manager the next day and he didn't seem to care.. very very rude staff who just want your money!!

Room Tip: don't choose any room...shop around!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank damogoodwine

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Udaipur, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

I had a good experience at the Hare Krishna Guest House.
My room was clean, so was the bathroom.
The sheets were okay.
I loved the rooftop with a pretty good restaurant, open 24/7. There were some nice views.
The staff at the reception were not friendly.
I loved that it is on the main bazaar street; 5 minutes away from a metro station. It was very easy to go around the city.
There were many cafes, shops and money exchange/transfer places around.
Overall, it was a good experience.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor. It was good but pretty dark with no views. However, no need for that...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

When we arrived the hotel the staff said the room was still being cleaned, we said we were happy to wait. When we checked into the room I noticed that quite obviously the sheets had not been changed. I went down to the front desk and said I did't want to be rude but could the sheets be changed. The staff member said as soon as we paid for the room we could have clean sheets 'if' he had any. I said I would rather get the new sheets and then pay for the room (I had an inkling that as soon as we handed over the money we would be stuck with the old sheets) The guy went crazy, it was actually rather amusing at first to watch a grown man acting like a 2 year old. Eventually he stomped up stairs, got us soon clean sheets and snatched the money. All very silly and unnecessarily we checked out in the morning.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Krasnoyarsk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Do not stay there!!!!My property (digital camera,telephone,credit card) was stolen in this hotel, BUT all time the door was locked and the key was with me. I hate this hotel, his owner, who was extremly rude with me and my husband after this case. Theft - is a part of busines of the owner, take care of your property, and better - try to find another hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna B
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

It has a small entranceway which properly reflects the tone of the hotel - quiet and tastefully elegant. The rooms are very spacious and impeccably maintained.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bred p
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Despite being paid up beyond my expected departure time, was asked to leave my room hours before taxi to airport booking, because another couple wanted the room. Staff banged on my door at 3 a.m. to see if I was awake and would leave, when I said no the staff member tried to shame me. This kind of behavior is a simple cash grab, and lousy business with no respect for the customer. I guess they don't expect to get repeat business. They won't get mine.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo