“Wonderful stay at Ahtushi's Bed & Breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ahtushi's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #83 of 1,136 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I had the pleasure of staying with Ahtushi and her family for nine weeks this summer, and I would strongly recommend her homestay for any traveler coming to Delhi for either a short or long term visit. She lives in Vasant Kunj, a quiet and very nice area in South Delhi, conveniently located next to major shopping malls and only a few km from the metro station. I had a spacious room that was always cleaned by Anu, the househelp, and I shared a bathroom with my friend and housemate. Anu kindly provided breakfast and dinner given that I was a long term guest, and for a small charge my laundry was washed and ironed as well. From the beginning of my stay, Ahtushi made me feel welcome. She provided a cell phone with a local sim, saving me the hassle of finding one, drove me to the mall so that I could become more familiar with the area, and even drove to locate the office I was working at. In short, she made my transition to Delhi incredibly smooth, and kindly helped my friends and I book train tickets for a couple of weekend trips. Even when she was away for work during part of my stay, her family was just as helpful and kind, and Ahtushi checked in to make sure everything was going well. I would recommend her homestay for anyone looking for a respite from hectic Delhi life, and if I ever return to Delhi I hope to stay with her again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We were visiting Dehli for a week late February and spent 6 nights at her place. We had a nice, modern, very clean room decorated with Ahtushi´s wonderful photos on the walls. Our 17 year old son got his privacy in another nice room with a shared toilet and shower. Their house is in a gated community in south New Dehli. As we are spoilt Swedes, it is relaxing to get away from the hectic Dehli and have afternoon tea on her roof terrace. But to stay with Ahtushi´s is much more. You get a warm familiy, an excellent travel advisor and she even books your train tickets when you have missed to do that from home. As You live among the family You can easily catch up good things about Indian life, much more so than from the staff of a Hotel reception. The entire family took part in getting us to feel well at home; her cute mother, genuine Indian, but with the depth of mixing decades of Dehli life and her Sorbonne education , always had time for a chat about India through the years. We went three night away to Agra and Corbett, but she took care of the heavy stuff that we did not bring on the short trips. This was my third trip to India but this was by far my best experience. India is always an adventure in colour, flavours and sound. To be able to digest these impressions at a calm and warm place like Athushi´s is worth a great deal. The standard is good European standard but the warm family is even better.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bertilsigurd1
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I lived at Athushi’s place for 10 weeks in summer 2012 and couldn’t have been luckier ! Thanks to Ahtushi’s very natural and warm nature, I immediately felt at home. Ahthushi took a lot of time to show me around the first few days (where to shop, where to take the metro, where to go for a morning walk) and always loved to help me organise whatever I needed (a mobile, yoga-classes, massages, taxis, tickets etc.). I felt very privileged to become part of Ahtushi’s family and in doing so, I got to learn so much about India and its daily life (Ahtushi’s lovely mother speaks perfect French and is a sweetheart, her young daughter loves dogs and chocolate (like me), Rahul knows many great restaurants and Annu is a real joy and is always helpful). I also appreciated sharing dinner with the family. The food was delicious, very fresh, varied and authentic Indian cuisine - Ahtushi was always very keen to serve my favourite dishes. As a successful travel photographer Ahtushi knows a lot of great places in India and thanks to her help and advice I made unforgettable trips to the mountains. Of course, my room at Ahtushi’s place, with annexed bathroom, was very spacious, clean and tastefully furnished. It has all modern amenities (television, air conditioner and ventilator). The house is situated in South Delhi, not far away from the airport, in an elegant and quiet surrounding, away from Delhi’s fuss and hassle. After a trip or a stressful (but exciting) day in town, I always looked forward to come back home! I think you understand that I made great new friends in Delhi and am already planning my next stay at Ahthushi’s. I highly recommend Ahtushi’s place !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I was in Delhi for a week, and my office booked me at Ahtushi's. Arriving late at night, I was warmly welcomed, shown the lovely home and my room with adjoining bath. Ahtushi and her family made me feel welcome, and offered tips on sight-seeing and general information. We all enjoyed conversing on a wide range of conversations.

The guesthouse is in a nice neighborhood within 15 minutes walking distance of a modern mall making it easy to go shopping, or just go for a walk day or evening. I'll be back!!!

Business traveller from Amsterdam

Room Tip: I had the corner room with adjoining bath, quite large and very comfortable for one or two.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BiztravellerAmster
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Accommodation - 5 stars
Food - 5 stars
Location - 5 stars
Travel advise and Assistance - 5 stars

Host - 5++

My stay at Ahtushi's was nothing short of wonderful. It is the only way to see and appreciate Delhi. The moment you step in the door you are welcome. Lively chats and dinner table discussions accompanied great food each night. Nothing was a bother, you only had to ask.

You'd be silly to stay anywhere else. Thank you Ahtushi

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I booked a week at Ahtushi's after looking at what other travellers had experianced and all I can say is that the stay was everything I expected plus !
My partner and I loved our stay the property was safe and secure, Our room with ensuite was excellent tidy and roomy. We had the option at a very reasonable rate to dine in with the famiy and where treated with fantastic tasting Indian crusine and great dinner time conversation.
It truely felt home away from home. The peoperty is sitiated only a 10 minute walk to 3 modern malls that can supply anyones needs from General shopping through to great restaurants.
You are also only a short Taxi ride away from the Trains.
We definately will stay there again when we get the chance. The advice on Travelling and sights to see was also very valuable. Overall as mentioned I rate the stay a 11 out of 10 if that is possible !!!!. Thanks again Ahtushi's and hopefully see you soon and remember if you are ever in New Zealand our home is your home.

Raj and Erin

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I spent three months on a special assignment in Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, and selected Ahtushi's B&B from an internet search and guidance from an Indian friend. I am so glad I did! First of all, I realised immediately that I was being welcomed into a warm and engaging family (Ahtushi herself is a photographer and travel writer), living in an interesting community known rather blandly as C-4. There was nothing I could have asked for with which they would not help me. Generally, I began my day with a speed walk around one of the two local parks, then had a delicious breakfast. Out of personal choice it was usually fruit and toast, but I on weekends I also had wonderful eggs.

The room is large and provided with a heater in the winter and air conditioner in the summer--I experienced the extremes of both between January and April and was very glad of the extra warmth early on. I set up my computer on the desk under the flat screen TV and took full advantage of the wi-fi provided. This meant that with internet and Skype connections I could keep in touch with family and friends as well as keep up to date with the usual report-writing.

To spoil myself, Ahtushi made available a fabulous masseuse who came to the house, and she showed me where the nearest useful beauty parlour was located. I had a hair cut and blow dry, manicure, pedicure, and a wonderful facial at various times, at very modest prices and just across the street. Ahtushi even recommended a yoga teacher, but I just never found the time. I did, however, walk to the nearby DLF mall where there was every shop imaginable, including the fabulous Fabindia, Mango, Zara, Mothercare, M&S, and believe it or not Jimmy Choo, Dunhill, Versace, etc, loads of restaurants of all kinds and two cinema complexes (watched all the latest Academy Award films in armchair comfort).

There are many different kinds of transport available, but in addition to taxis I found the auto rickshaw/Metro combination the best for getting in to central Delhi. The Metro is wheelchair accessible at all stations, clean, air conditioned and has special compartments for ladies, yet it costs next to nothing and its extensive network goes just about everywhere you need for sight seeing or shopping.

I cannot thank Ahtushi and her family enough for making my stay so very comfortable and rewarding.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business