“Decent hotel with below average service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sage Hotel

Sage Hotel
Ranked #414 of 705 Hotels in New Delhi
Dubai
“Decent hotel with below average service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Decent, clean and well maintained rooms, however the service was quite crappy. The room Ac's were manually adjusted to give a very little air, after complaining twice only the hotel staff came and changed the setting. The hotel staff looks indifferent and very greedy. The hotel staff who transferred my luggage to my room during check-in, just did not move out of the room until I given him the tip. The so called restaurant is non-existent in the hotel, just a make shift arrangement is done at the hotel reception ( which is somewhat awkward) to arrange for the food. The break fast was quite tasteless, with just few dishes in the menu, not even the basic tea was not available. This place may be good for single travelers or short travelers as it is not far from the airport and major mall (saket Mall). For this much of facilities and amenities, the room charges are exorbitant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Was in Delhi for one night to send my brother off to Europe. Booked the hotel reading good reviews and also due to the close proximity to airport and based on recommendations from relatives who have stayed earlier. Was coming from Calcutta and carrying heavy luggage (3 large suitcases), so called the hotel to arrange for a transport for pick up from the railway station. My booking was for Sunday (25th August, 2013) and I called them on Friday (23rd August 2013) for arranging the same (I booked the room nearly 1 month back). The guy who took the call asked me to send a mail providing the details for the pickup & time for which the car will be required. I mailed within an hour. Then started the horrific experience, of calling them & asking whether they have received my mail, whether the vehicle is confirmed & repeatedly asked them to provide me the driver & car details via SMS. Between Friday & Sunday, I called the hotel nearly 6-7 times for the same & every time I had to repeat everything from scratch as the person(s) always responded in a manner that he has no clue about the same. Finally on Sunday just 1 hour before reaching the station, when I called for probably the eighth time & threatened that I'll write a bad review about the experience, things seemed to work & within 10 minutes they sent me an sms with all the details. The driver was good & we got to know that his car (Toyota Innova) is from the local taxi stand and not from the hotel.
Then came the second horrific part. I retained the car as I have some work, so needed to travel around in the day & then I had to drop my Brother at the Airport at around midnight. After seeing my brother off I came back to the hotel after midnight and requested the reception guy to make my bills ready as I'll be checking out next morning at around 5 AM. I told him that I'll pay the entire amount through credit card, as I was not carrying much cash. He straightaway refused & started arguing & then called someone & started speaking in the local language in a harsh & threatening tone. Finally after countless hour of arguing he finally settled and asked me to pay some amount in cash & rest through card (though I didn't quite understand the reasons for the same). I finally got to bed after 12:30 with my mind full of disturbing thoughts about the mannerisms of the reception guy.

About the rooms, food & staff: The room which I was provided is good, although I didn't stay in the room for long, but it was clean & spacious, good air conditioning and the toilet & washroom was equipped with all modern facilities, however the towels were a bit worn off. The hotel staff (excluding the reception guy) were extremely courteous & was always available if any help was needed. The food is not good at all, so if you're staying avoid the hotel food & venture out as you'll get some excellent eateries nearby.

Overall, the unprofessional attitude of the hotel staff has made the stay quite forgettable. I'll only recommend people to book this hotel, if you've already sorted out your logistics & just need a room to spend the nights, that's all !!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RiddhiPL

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

The place was really nice with a rejuvenating effect. The ambience was really nice. The service staff was extremely humble and took care of me and my friends very nicely. The food was really delicious. I will really come here when ever i come to this city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night for business. The hotel was very clean and not far from DEL. I will be staying again!

Wifi password provided by front desk for the floor you are staying on if you ask

Room and bathroom were spectacular

Marble stone shower

Bed comfortable and soft

Continental breakfast was nice

Towels could have been softer

There was no hotel directory in the room which included numbers for front desk/room service/housekeeping/etc.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Med107
Marlborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed at the Sage Hotel in South Delhi four times during our 2 week visit to India. We found all (1 Standard, 3 Superior) of the rooms to be excellent, in fact very similar to each other, just that the Superior were slightly larger. The rooms were modern and very clean although somewhat too plain for my liking, but in keeping with modern fashion. The beds and pillows were very large and very comfortable, not too hard, not too soft. Dressing tables were large with large mirrors, chairs though were not as comfortable as they looked but OK. Excellent cupboard hanging space and drawers and lots of space to spread out our things. Excellent bright lighting which most hotels tend to lack, all controllable from the bedside. Many power points around the room, again something often lacking in hotels. TV was flat screen with a wide choice of cable channels. Aircon was also good in all the rooms though interestingly best in the standard room. Good sized modern mini safe plus good sized small fridge plus tea/coffee making facilities. Views were not great though in any of the 3 rooms, partly as we were on the first floor (UK style) or 2nd floor (US style) so could only see the building opposite the hotel across a narrow side street. Internet, free, was also very good with wireless reception in the rooms and, for a hotel, reasonably fast connections too.
The bathroom was also brilliant. A fair size, not ultra large, but very clean and bright with a large sink and a superb shower in a large stall. Great water pressure and both a rain shower as well as the more standard shower fittings and a separate tap for washing feet., loved it. The hot water though did run out at popular times. Decent sized toilet plus a good range of shampoos, combs etc. Nice soft towels.
Food was also excellent in their dining area opposite Reception. A good menu of both Indian and Western dishes with many choices though we only tried the Indian dishes. Be sure to ask for the food spicy or in our case very spicy for spices but easy on the chillies, as otherwise they do dumb it down for Westerners. We were very happy with the food, just as well as there are few alternatives within easy walking distance. Breakfast though was overall a bit disappointing. There is a small buffet and the first time was excellent with deep fried Nans and a lentil curry on offer as well as boiled eggs, chicken sausages and so on as well as toast, cereals etc. The second time for a buffet was not so good and the other 2 breakfasts the hotel was obviously not full so we had to order from the limited choice on the menu (though we didn't have to pay extra) which was OK but not so good. So one excellent breakfast, 3 only OK breakfasts. The rest of the food though, excellent.
The chef is also very obliging as on 2 occasions we hadn't been able to have a proper lunch as we were travelling so he was quite happy to open up early a cook a full meal for us at 1700 rather than us having to wait for the normal 1900 hours when the restaurant was meant to open – or even insist we have the limited all day room service menu. Very helpful as indeed were the rest of the staff there. They had a good attitude and were friendly without being subservient. Also, for instance, Reception were happy to print out our boarding passes for us if we wanted – by just e-mailing them the relevant document. They also have a useful left luggage facility if you are returning to the hotel from a trip elsewhere, which again is very helpful.
Although on a main road, it was not a very busy road so the hotel was fairly quiet and we were not disturbed by traffic noise. Though not in the city centre, it is in a relatively upmarket part of South Delhi so not as frantic as some parts of the city. The hotel is also only about 20-25 minutes from the main Delhi IGI Airport so very convenient for the airport though if rush hour periods then it can take an hour or so. Although we didn't try it, the hotel is also only about a kilometre from the nearest Metro Station on the new Yellow Line, so also relatively convenient for public transport.
Because of its lack of other standard facilities the hotel is only rated 2 stars officially but we felt that in terms of the rooms and the food and the service this was definitely more of a 4 star hotel experience, and indeed a much better experience than a lot of other 'official' 4 star hotels that we have stayed in. Would definitely stay at the Sage again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arthurrvr
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I am back to Sydney now however couldn't help myself writing this review about my stay at Sage Hotel Delhi. I stayed at Sage for 2 weeks during March 2013 and had the most memorable experience. Rooms were very modern and hotel offers fantastic meals. Staff is very friendly and their willingness to assist is commendable. I was travelling on business and used to return back to the hotel late at night, hotel staff would go out of their way to arrange meals for me.

Hotel staff arranged cabs for me and would assist with picking me up from my business locations late at night. I was surprised to see the hotel manager and the owner seeking feedback from the guests to improve service standards.

Overall, Sage offers fantastic value, very clean, wonderful South Delhi location assists with ease of travelling to CBD and Airport.

Absolutely enjoyed my stay - Many thanks guys for your hospitality, well done !!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tushar G
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Clean, business traveller oriented hotel in a suburb of Delhi. Rooms modern and spacious but a bit functional (much like the rest of the hotel). On a commercial/residential road about 20 minutes drive from centre of Delhi-not much option on the eating front other than the hotel restaurant unless you have transport, but decent enough menu. Fairly quiet (or as quiet as anywhere in Delhi can expect to be).

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family