“Yet again...”

Cuisines: Tibetan, Nepalese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hauz Khas Village
Reviewed 14 November 2013

It was meant to be a business lunch on a weekday with a senior colleague visiting New Delhi on work. On finding a few favourite eateries either closed down or 'out of service' on maintenance at Hauz Khas village complex, we finally clambered up the second floor to land at Yeti at about 2.00 pm; we were lucky to get a table for two immediately and noted large groups of young & old diners enjoying their food all around.

This was my second visit to Yeti, the first being around one and half years ago. As good food transcends the barrier of time, I thought I would pen one more review for the restaurant. This time for a quick & easy experience, we chose two Thakali (Nepali thali set - Rs.575/- each) with chicken and a plate of Macha tareko (deep fried fish in mustard oil – Rs.275/-) to be shared by two of us. We earnestly hoped that standard thalis (much like its South Indian cousins) would be served in no time to enable us head to office early. The wait staff took the order quickly and then simply vanished. After severe gesticulations we could catch the attention of the waiters and on several reminders the fried fish appeared at our table after more than 30 minutes! The fried fish was made of cheap Indian Basa variety; I was not impressed at all as I find Basa too oily a fish to appeal to my palate. The thali, served in a heavy brass plate with an accompaniment of brass bowls, did help in restoring our moods. The preparations of lentil, vegetables (spinach) and chicken curry had a simplistic 'home cooked' feel and taste in them. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and returned as happy souls.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was here a few months ago with friends and it was my first time at Yeti (I went to the Malviya Nagar branch). I just loved their food. And personally for me-I liked the vegetarian fare better than the non-vegetarian one.

Don't expect a 5 star ambience or anything. Its simple and down to earth. But you mainly go to restaurants to eat. And if that is why you wanna choose Yeti-you wont be disappointed. The food is mind blowing. We had ordered some Kala Chana item-it was yummm and super spicy. So if you dont mind spicy stuff-do order it. :) Also, we had ordered some other mushroom dish with lots of cheese in it (sorry-but I again do not remember the name) and that too was soooooo good! :)

Well done chef! Really nice restaurant.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have had the most obnoxious experience at YETI at Hauz Khas village Delhi and would urge all my friends to stay away from this place. The staff is horrendously rude. Ours was a group of three and we were provided the sofas. As soon as a group of six foreigners walked in we were unceremoniously asked to shift to the most uncomfortable/next to the kitchen table. The staff felt no qualms in argueing rudely too. We asked for the Manager and the Staff replied with a smirk that the Manager is not there.

Hated the place. It almost ruined my afternoon till I found the Smokehouse Deli with a lovely view and very good staff

3  Thank PARIIndia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Last week Mr. A's parents were visiting us and as always the fight was where to eat! While his dad is on doctor's diet, his mom is too fussy about fried food and needs healthy yet tasty options (I fail to understand that option till date!!). After a lot of debate I could only boil to down to one place, Yeti.

I have been to Yeti before and I was back here only for one thing, it's food. We went on a Friday, hoping to get a table without much fuss ( it's highly democratic, no reservations, first come first serve basis). There was no electricity in HKV that evening so my first question when I walked in was "do you have power back up option?" Thankfully they did, but the AC wasn't on for almost hour an hour.

Yeti is a very well done Bhutanese joint, snugly tugged away at one end of HKV. The place has captured the true of essence of North East India very beautifully with the colorful prayer flags running through the restaurant, a huge bell at one corner. The interiors are very rustic, nothing jazzy or fancy. Almost all the working staff I saw was from North East India and the 'Pahari' songs playing in the background actually makes you feel that you are sitting in some cafe at Bhutan!

We ordered for Chicken momos with soup. Mr A was happily munching away the momos served with really spicy sauce. He claimed the momo skin was super thin and the chicken just melts in your mouth. The spicy chutney plays a different note in the mouth with the succulent chicken. His father had chicken soup which he said was very good and well seasoned. However, it was only when his mom said that the momos were brilliant, I actually believed they were brilliant!!

Next on order was Chicken Datchi. This is a brilliant prep and their speciality too. Datchi is a Bhutanese dish and it essentially means cheese. So this prep is a super cheesy gravy with chicken, it's creamy, it's rich and it's amazing! It's served with tingmo which is a Tibetian steamed bread. Just break small pieces of this bread, dip it in the gravy and enjoy!

I ordered chilly garlic fried rice with veges in black bean sauce. The fried rice was nothing close to being chilly but it was very good. The vegetables in thick gravy was very good too. I often order this at home and have loved it always!

Wile my tummy was full, greedy Mr A wasn't done yet. He called for a portion of steam fish. This was not up to their expectations. His mom said it lacked flavours and was little bland. I am not sure if this is how it was suppose to be served, after all it was called steam fish!

My only problem with the place was the service. It took us 10 mins to get someone to our table to take orders. Language is a problem here, you have to be very clear in your ordering. Considering this is not a very common cuisine in this part of the country, suggestive selling could do wonders for them. I asked them how would veg datchi be, his answer was ok, no flavour!! Probably he wanted to say not spicy! He could barely suggest anything interesting to a vegetarian and so I ordered what I understood! I saw that guests on other tables were having a little trouble getting their attention and dishes were returned coz they got some wrong order!

Overall, a brilliant experience. Everyone was happy with what they ate. The food was filling yet not heavy. I would say worth a visit if you are ready to experiment with your taste buds!

1  Thank Richa_Jain
Reviewed 1 October 2013

No frills eating joint ...lovely ambiance, the whole place has the feel of hillside shack...great food...the mutton momos are to die for...goat phokso, potatoe chilly datsi, pork fried rice and fried spinach served with tingmos are a MUST try.....great value for money...and last but not the least it has a well stocked bar..

great place for a laid back chilled out evening..

1  Thank Pamela P