“May be another visit..?”
Review of Elma's Bakery

Elma's Bakery
Ranked #15 of 61 Bakeries in New Delhi
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Elma's bakery is a delightful little bakery and tea-room, in Hauz Khas village, based on the English tea-rooms. The furnishings are lovely and cosy with only four tables. Delicious scones, breads and cakes are served here. Also, sandwiches, toasties and soups for light lunches.
New Delhi, India
“May be another visit..?”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This is not a review for the cafe in Hauz Khas Village, but the new branch opened in Meherchand Mkt. I have to say I didn't like it. They didn't have much on offer in the cake section- and I was there after noon. So I settled for a slice of my much loved Red Velvet Chocolate Cake. And what a disaster that was. It was probably from the day before and they hadn't yet got fresh deliveries-maybe-but that's no excuse. Don't serve then. The staff was, well, just about manning the till. The area outside the restraunt was all wet-maybe they weren't done cleaning-and smelly- probably not their fault. But I don't think I want to go back unless to see what the fuss is about. The cake was terrible!!

• Visited July 2013

New Delhi, India
“Great Ambiance and setting, average food”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

A quaint little place tucked up in one of the alleys of Hauz Khas Village, which has become a foodie paradise for me. Elma's bakery like the name suggest is less of a restaurant and more of personal space where you go to eat, and besides the bill it feels as if you are invited to the host's place for a meal.

As you walk up the stairs you realize the place is modelled on a European styled Patisserie and no matter what the ambiance is outside, you are transported to a different era in this small & cozy little joint. The decor is unassuming and very earthly, with a counter for desserts and pastries and a live open kitchen at the back. Even the crockery is very personal with painted flower patterns which you'd mostly find in a home.

Service is ok and the waiters I felt rotate fast, probably the reason a lot of them could not pronounce or know much about the dishes. The owner however made up for that by personally suggesting dishes to order and by having a conversation enlightening us about their baking process. She even shared our jokes and though people mind find her over-zealous I think she was being polite.

Food is good and I loved the Veg Cheese Croissant I ordered with the chicken finger sandwiches. The grilled chicken was a little hard and the mashed potatoes not too creamy. I liked the drinks and the lemonade I ordered, though it was a little too tangy & sour than what we generally get in Delhi. The bacon in a bun is served on a lovely flat wooden panel with English Mustard, but my friend who ordered did not quite savour it. The chocolate desserts looked good and I would be going back again for them.

All in all I enjoyed the setting and the place a lot more than the food and that is what would make me want to go back there. I also hope they improve on the food quality and the size of the portions.

• Visited May 2013
“Interesting......but overrated”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Much like the review title, my feelings about a recent visit to Elma's are a bit mixed up. If I'd just stumbled into Elma's in one of the bylanes Hauz Khas village, unaware of it's huge reputation- then I guess I'd have found it to be an interesting new discovery! But, sadly in this case, we arrived at Elma's after having read rave reviews and landed there with huge expectations. And it does short fall of sky high expectations. Here's why:
1. Decor: there's an effort to make it look quaint & cozy...but it doesn't really get there. The ambiance in the restaurant doesn't really match the images evoked in mind after seeing the nice pics on internet. There is a mildness (not subtlety!) to the decor. Use of interesting lighting & music might've helped in creating the overall experience
2. Food: Can only comment on what we had, which was a Chicken salad, Hot Dog, Shepard's pie and a Butterscotch Caramel cake. The cake was an absolute winner and beautifully rich and creamy. The rest of the dishes were OK and one cant fault them, but really not special.
3. Portions: Smaller than expected
4. Prices: Steeper than expected. A plus point is they do not add Service Charge!
The cake selection on display looked pretty good & I'd go to Elma's again, but stick to deserts this time!

• Visited June 2013
6 Thank D_Nallan
“Cosy little tearoom”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Loved everything, the place the food ...the exotic variety of teas , the awesome cakes and pies...red velvet cake YUMMY...

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York, USA
“Elma's Falls Short”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Elma’s fell short of expectations. The menu, describes wonderful salads and sandwiches, both of which were a disappointment (they come from Edward’s downstairs). For example, the Thai salad (aside from being out of tofu) was in a bland dressing and I had assumed that a mushroom and cheese sandwich would use a better mushroom than button and better cheese than sliced. Although plated nicely, when it got to the table, the cheese was no longer gooey and the bread hard. Getting to dessert, I tried the brownie, which was also dry. Their menu and selection is great on paper, but poor in execution. It’s not terrible, just not great. Despite this, the staff is super friendly and if you are going there for just tea or fruit juice, it’s a cute place and would highly recommend.

• Visited May 2013