In December 2012, I stayed at the Lalit on 3 separate occasions during a month long tour of India, using Delhi as my hub. I chose the Lalit based on a previous visit to the hotel in 2009.
During my most recent trip, it is my impression that the standards of guest relations and basic cleanliness have dramatically fallen. No longer do I consider this hotel to be one of the best in Delhi, but far from it and I will never choose this hotel again.
There are a few positive aspects to staying at the Lalit:
Great location, within walking distance to Connaught Place
Good buffet breakfast, including eggs cooked to order and a balanced mix of Indian/western foods
An outdoor heated pool and good steam room/sauna
Now for the negatives.
I pre-paid for an executive level room with twin beds and NOT ONCE was this honoured without receiving an argument from front desk staff.
Upon check in, the reception staff was consistently dismissive, distracted, and rude. They appear to HATE their jobs and were seemingly 'at the ready' to deal with angry, disgruntled guests (and by my estimation there were many).
During our first visit, having just stepped off of a 10 hour flight, the Front Desk Manager was rude to me when I demanded an upgraded room with twin beds, for which we had pre-paid. She informed me that these were simply ‘requests’ and were not confirmed in the Lalit’s system, which later turned out to be untrue. When I asked her to contact our local travel agent in Delhi, she said ‘Would you rather have me find you a room or get in a fight with your agent on the phone?’ I didn’t return to the Lalit looking for a fight and yet during our second and third check in experiences, an upgraded room twin room had not been assigned, causing further confusion and a long wait. Abysmal.
After all this hassle, the Executive level upgrade is quite bluntly NOT worth the money. Although staffed by a keen army of servers, the club level lounge is cold and dreary, sparsely furnished with very limited food and drink options and short serving periods. The staff in the lounge was however fantastically accommodating, eager to make up for the bleak provisions supplied to them by the hotel itself.
Our various rooms at the Lalit were seriously worn and falling apart and in need of a good deep cleaning... the attached photos of room 2325 prove it. The furnishings are chipped and stained, the showers are mouldy, the windows and curtains are filthy, and the aircon intake vents are dusty beyond belief. The rooms make a decent first impression, but soon we realized they are in desperate need of repair and renovation. After our second bad experience, we dreaded returning for a third time at the Lalit, but we felt as worn down and tired as the rooms, so decided to just deal with it for one last night.
On our final evening in India, the Front Desk Manager felt compelled to call and apologize for the way she handled our interaction weeks before, and sent a complimentary bottle of wine to our room.
Take my advice and stay somewhere else.
Unless the Lalit makes some dramatic changes towards improving guest relations, front of house attitude and basic housekeeping, this once 5* property is a huge disappointment. AVOID staying here as there are much better luxury hotels in Delhi for the same price. Trust me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The LaLiT Hotels in Delhi, one of the best luxury hotels in Delhi India, stands tall right in the middle of city’s premier business and commercial district – Connaught Place. Being the central luxury business hotel in Delhi, it is located right next to lively shopping centres, office complexes and colourful streets, the hotel is 24 kms from the international airport and just minutes away from government offices, cultural centres and international trade fairgrounds. With the largest room sizes amongst all luxury hotels Delhi, The LaLiT New Delhi offers a total of 461 five star hotel rooms. The bedrooms are all well tailored to the needs of both a business traveler as well as a vacationer and accompanied by hotels modern amenities and elegant decor. Guests at our luxury hotels, have an option of choosing from a Deluxe Rooms, LaLiT Luxury Rooms and the suites. Serving cuisines from both the world of east and west, The LaLiT, hotels New Delhi offers four fine dining restaurants serving food to suit all types of palate. For those enjoying traditional Oriental food, The Woks serve authentic Oriental food while The Grill serves European food. And if guests want to taste food prepared in the traditional Indian way, we invite them to try our Indian cuisine at Baluchi while our multi-cuisine restaurant and Bar – 24/7 is the best place for guests who enjoy food while also interacting with chefs of the restaurant. At 24/7 guests have an option of choosing variety of food at the buffet or being selective through the elaborate a-la-carte menu. At The LaLiT, luxury hotel Delhi, guests can be at comfort both at work as well as leisure. Ideal for all types of events, The LaLiT New Delhi offers a total of six banquet hall. Guests can organize all types of events with us - from small top-notch corporate events to private party events and from big conference meeting to huge wedding ceremony. Enough to accommodate upto 800 people, hotels' banquet facilities are added advantage amongst all hotels in Delhi. So whether the event is corporate or if it is a planning a wedding at hotels, The LaLiT New Delhi hotels offers just the right kind of banquets and meeting space for the hotels in New Delhi. Other world class hotel facilities at this 5 star luxury hotels Delhi include 24 hour Business Centre, Hotels Concierge Desk, Foreign Exchange, Limousine Service, 24 hour In-room Dining, Laundry Service, Valet Car Parking, Shopping Arcade, Doctor on Call, Rejuve – The Spa and a well equipped Gymnasium so that the business traveler feels more productive and rejuvenated. At Connaught Place, the center of the city - is The LaLiT New Delhi - an 18 story edifice with easy access to the city’s commercial complexes, conference centers, shopping hubs and historic sights. Wonderful interiors, immaculate service and fine cuisine combine to make The LaiLiT New Delhi is an eventful address of the city. Amongst other five star hotels Delhi this luxury hotel is within close proximity to historical landmarks like India Gate, Jama Masjid and Red Fort. Located at the city center, The Lalit New Delhi is just 35 minute drive from the airport and is merely 5 minute from the railway station. The city is well connected through air and rail links apart from two of the national highways which connect New Delhi to all the major cities in the country. The Hotel is also 10 minute drive from the trade fair ground and merely 15 minute drive from several embassies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lalit New Delhi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lalit New Delhi Hotel New Delhi
- Lalit Hotel New Delhi
- Lalit New Delhi
- Hotel The Lalit Delhi
- Lalit Intercontinental Hotel
- Intercontinental Lalit Hotel
- The Lalit Hotel New Delhi
- Lalit Hotels Delhi
- Hotel The Lalit New Delhi
- Intercontinental Grand New Delhi