“A huge disappointment to a once loyal customer... NOT recommended”

The Lalit New Delhi
Ranked #46 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Hove, United Kingdom
“A huge disappointment to a once loyal customer... NOT recommended”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

In December 2012, I stayed at the Lalit on 3 separate occasions during a month long tour of India, using Delhi as my hub. I chose the Lalit based on a previous visit to the hotel in 2009.

During my most recent trip, it is my impression that the standards of guest relations and basic cleanliness have dramatically fallen. No longer do I consider this hotel to be one of the best in Delhi, but far from it and I will never choose this hotel again.

There are a few positive aspects to staying at the Lalit:

Great location, within walking distance to Connaught Place

Good buffet breakfast, including eggs cooked to order and a balanced mix of Indian/western foods

An outdoor heated pool and good steam room/sauna

Now for the negatives.

I pre-paid for an executive level room with twin beds and NOT ONCE was this honoured without receiving an argument from front desk staff.

Upon check in, the reception staff was consistently dismissive, distracted, and rude. They appear to HATE their jobs and were seemingly 'at the ready' to deal with angry, disgruntled guests (and by my estimation there were many).

During our first visit, having just stepped off of a 10 hour flight, the Front Desk Manager was rude to me when I demanded an upgraded room with twin beds, for which we had pre-paid. She informed me that these were simply ‘requests’ and were not confirmed in the Lalit’s system, which later turned out to be untrue. When I asked her to contact our local travel agent in Delhi, she said ‘Would you rather have me find you a room or get in a fight with your agent on the phone?’ I didn’t return to the Lalit looking for a fight and yet during our second and third check in experiences, an upgraded room twin room had not been assigned, causing further confusion and a long wait. Abysmal.

After all this hassle, the Executive level upgrade is quite bluntly NOT worth the money. Although staffed by a keen army of servers, the club level lounge is cold and dreary, sparsely furnished with very limited food and drink options and short serving periods. The staff in the lounge was however fantastically accommodating, eager to make up for the bleak provisions supplied to them by the hotel itself.

Our various rooms at the Lalit were seriously worn and falling apart and in need of a good deep cleaning... the attached photos of room 2325 prove it. The furnishings are chipped and stained, the showers are mouldy, the windows and curtains are filthy, and the aircon intake vents are dusty beyond belief. The rooms make a decent first impression, but soon we realized they are in desperate need of repair and renovation. After our second bad experience, we dreaded returning for a third time at the Lalit, but we felt as worn down and tired as the rooms, so decided to just deal with it for one last night.

On our final evening in India, the Front Desk Manager felt compelled to call and apologize for the way she handled our interaction weeks before, and sent a complimentary bottle of wine to our room.

Take my advice and stay somewhere else.

Unless the Lalit makes some dramatic changes towards improving guest relations, front of house attitude and basic housekeeping, this once 5* property is a huge disappointment. AVOID staying here as there are much better luxury hotels in Delhi for the same price. Trust me.

Room Tip: Don't bother with an upgrade; the executive level rooms are not worth the additional money.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kansasforever
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 17 January 2013

Namaskar!!

At the outset let me thank you for your feedback wherein you have outlined the dissatisfying experience you had at The Lalit New Delhi during your stay with regards to the hotel services.

Pease accept our most sincere and profound apologies for the annoying and dissatisfying experience caused to you.

This incident is unfortunate and regrettable and we understand the anguish and dissatisfaction experienced by you. The entire team of The Lalit New Delhi joins me in extending their sincere and profound apologies. I have taken up your feedback seriously with the concerned Head of Departments for immediate corrective action. Request you to endow with your contact details for further information.

We hope you will not hold this experience against us and will offer us another opportunity to look after you in a manner that you expect and so rightfully deserve.

We remain firmly committed to the ethos and values of hospitality and customer centricity and in accordance we look forward to working towards regaining your faith and confidence in our brand.

Please write me a mail at vshukla@thelalit.com the next time you are visiting New Delhi so that we can really look after you well.

I hope to welcome you back to The LaLit New Delhi in near future.

Vivek Shukla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Stayed at The Lalit with my young family during 2 spells from 02/01/13 for 2 nights and then again from 09/01/13 for another 3 nights.

The level of service and room quality experienced on both occasions was excellent. Rooms were modern and had a large TV, cable, DVD player (very useful for playing movies for the kids to keep them occupied), kettle and refreshments, mini bar, iron and board, daily complimentary mineral water bottles, climate control, complimentary bathroom items - like soaps, shampoos, toothbrushes etc, king size bed which accommodated 2 adults and 2 kids (3 & 6) bath robes and slippers which we felt added that extra bit of luxury to the stay :)

Hotel facilities were great, heated swimming pool, well equipped gym, spa and great buffet breakfast. If there was one negative then it would be the lack of free WIFI, which in a 5* hotel I would have expected for free in comparison to other hotels I've stayed at.

All of the hotel staff, porters, reception, concierge, security and back room staff really knew how to treat their guests and were very accommodating. As it was the month of my wedding anniversary, the hotel arranged for a bouquet of flowers and cake for us, which was well received by my wife and kids.

Location is ideal, walking distance from the metro rail station, Connaught Circus (plenty of shops and restaurants to keep you busy) and the well regarded Bengali Market - which is famous for its Nathus/Bengali Sweets restaurant and bakery - very useful for topping up on snacks etc to bring back to the hotel.

The bell desk placed the bulk of our luggage in storage whilst we went away for a few days sightseeing outside of Delhi, which we found invaluable.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much larger, however, avoid rooms facing the railway line as you can hear the train...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 16 January 2013

Namaskar !

Thank you very much for your feedback of your recent stay with us at The LaLiT New Delhi, India.

Your kind words of appreciation about the various hotel services and facilities would certainly go a long way in boosting the morale of the team to even do better and excel in everything they do on a day to day basis to make sure our esteemed guests like yourself are more comfortable and well looked after.

We look forward to your support and patronage to The LaLiT New Delhi and also welcome you back to your home.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

A nice hotel with a good location in New Delhi. We stayed for one night here and managed to get some sightseeing done because of the location. Rooms were nice and big and the staff was helpful. Got especially good service with our bags and at the concierge.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 15 January 2013

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We used the Lalit as home base for two weeks of travel in India. The kept our luggage as we took overnight trips to other locales. The staff was very friendly and helpful. All of our rooms were very comfortable. We enjoyed using room service on a couple of occasions and they were very prompt and friendly. We did experience one issue with water coming up from the shower drain. We called and they immediately sent someone who took care of the problem. Housekeeping was right behind them to clean up. In the meantime they were prepared to move us to another room. That turned out not to be necessary. We would definitely recommend the Lalit. The location is also very central to shopping.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 13 January 2013

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The hotel is nice and modern. rooms are clean and spacious.
location is good. relatively short distance from eveything.
it certainly soften the blow of the "Indian shock" as it is a nice escape when you had enough with the chaos.
breakfast was very good. dinner as well.
internet was expensive.
I faced the train station, and you can hear trains horn for part of the night, and very early in the morning. if you really need your sleep, this will be a major disadvantage of this hotel and the oveall rating will be 2. maybe not the fault of the hotel (I'm not sure if soundproofing will solve this completely), it's just the location. at the end of my trip I stayed in the Hilton Garden in Saket, and you could hear yourself blink.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Namaskar !

We have also noted your feedback with regards to the Sound proofing and the same has been shared with the management. We apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

This Hotel is lovely and the staff so very helpful.

We stayed her for 6 days over Christmas, Our room was beautiful could not fault it one bit huge bed and bathroom. The hotel its self was extremely impressive clean and modern. The concierge was brilliant and very helpful when we decided to book a last minute trip to the Taj Mahal. There was a little confusion with the trip and everything didn’t go quite to plan, this was mainly due to the weather however the concierge manager sorted this for us quickly and effectively and we couldn’t have asked for more really.

My partner and i went to the nightclub that was in the hotel one of the evening which was good, a real American style club vibe going on down there!! (wasn’t brave enough to go to the bar for a drink as we weren’t sure of the prices which can be a little scary at the Lalit)

The only cons were that we found the restaurants in the hotel were very expensive and overpriced and that you have to pay for Wi-Fi in your room was a bit of an inconvenience as all the hotels I’ve been to over the last year Wi-Fi has been included even if for only an hour a day, I think this is something the hotel should really look at offering as that would be a major plus for them.

Location was good right round the corner from the hustle and bustle of Connaught place an New Delhi.

Oh and the breakfsat buffet in the morning was amazing...

Overall was a fabulous hotel and we really enjoyed our stay at the Lalit and would most definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Namaskar !

We have also noted your feedback with regards to the pricing and the same has been shared with the management.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This is a great hotel in a great location. Big, well laid out rooms with great beds make sleeping easy, and multi-pin sockets mean you don't need an adapter for your laptop. Breakfast buffet is really good, and when I had a problem booking a domestic flight, the hotel stepped up and sorted everything out.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DarreninHK
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 11 January 2013