“Did not impress” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
chennai. India
“Did not impress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed here for a night in Jan2013 due to non availability of regular hotels that I stay in. This is a larger property and when I walked into the Lobby, there were over 100 people. Front desk staff were attentive but I did experience difficulty checking in as they could not locate My booking though I provided them proof. After a short waiting, they allotted a room that was nice, comfortable and well laid out. The front desk staff firmly told me that the exercise room is accessible only after 0800 which later turned out be wrong (the other person manning the front desk in the morning confirmed it is 24x7 and that they would open on demand- the person did not seem to know this. Since I was checking out early (around 0630), I had requested for take away breakfast which they did provide.
Over all this is a good property but not for the rate I paid...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 21 January 2013

Namaskar!!

At the outset let me thank you for your feedback wherein you have outlined the dissatisfying experience you had at The Lalit New Delhi during your stay with regards to the hotel services.

Pease accept our most sincere and profound apologies for the annoying and dissatisfying experience caused to you.

This incident is unfortunate and regrettable and we understand the anguish and dissatisfaction experienced by you. The entire team of The Lalit New Delhi joins me in extending their sincere and profound apologies. I have taken up your feedback seriously with the concerned Head of Departments for immediate corrective action. Request you to endow with your contact details for further information.

We hope you will not hold this experience against us and will offer us another opportunity to look after you in a manner that you expect and so rightfully deserve.

We remain firmly committed to the ethos and values of hospitality and customer centricity and in accordance we look forward to working towards regaining your faith and confidence in our brand.

Please write me a mail at vshukla@thelalit.com the next time you are visiting New Delhi so that we can really look after you well.

I hope to welcome you back to The LaLit New Delhi in near future.

Vivek Shukla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Front Office: staff was excellent and polite ...prompt cheek-in process"
Room: Nice interior and neat and clean room
Location:was good
Breakfast:Superb Breakfast with all Necessary thing...Enjoyable.
Housekeeping:Excellent

overall good stay and enjoy my business trip.

Thanks

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Namaskar !

Thank you very much for your feedback of your recent stay with us at The LaLiT New Delhi, India.

Your kind words of appreciation about the various hotel services and facilities would certainly go a long way in boosting the morale of the team to even do better and excel in everything they do on a day to day basis to make sure our esteemed guests like yourself are more comfortable and well looked after.

We look forward to your support and patronage to The LaLiT New Delhi and also welcome you back to your home.

Jaipur, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

the property is just awesome n impressive,the staff is welcoming and friendly.the rooms are spacious with all the amenities.the views from the rooms good.u have to experience their swimming pool which is truly inviting.the breakfast is lavish with many,many varieties of tasty food to offer.u feel fully recharged n satisfied after having it.the location is good.highly recommended.

Room Tip: any room from the top floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 19 January 2013

Hove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

In December 2012, I stayed at the Lalit on 3 separate occasions during a month long tour of India, using Delhi as my hub. I chose the Lalit based on a previous visit to the hotel in 2009.

During my most recent trip, it is my impression that the standards of guest relations and basic cleanliness have dramatically fallen. No longer do I consider this hotel to be one of the best in Delhi, but far from it and I will never choose this hotel again.

There are a few positive aspects to staying at the Lalit:

Great location, within walking distance to Connaught Place

Good buffet breakfast, including eggs cooked to order and a balanced mix of Indian/western foods

An outdoor heated pool and good steam room/sauna

Now for the negatives.

I pre-paid for an executive level room with twin beds and NOT ONCE was this honoured without receiving an argument from front desk staff.

Upon check in, the reception staff was consistently dismissive, distracted, and rude. They appear to HATE their jobs and were seemingly 'at the ready' to deal with angry, disgruntled guests (and by my estimation there were many).

During our first visit, having just stepped off of a 10 hour flight, the Front Desk Manager was rude to me when I demanded an upgraded room with twin beds, for which we had pre-paid. She informed me that these were simply ‘requests’ and were not confirmed in the Lalit’s system, which later turned out to be untrue. When I asked her to contact our local travel agent in Delhi, she said ‘Would you rather have me find you a room or get in a fight with your agent on the phone?’ I didn’t return to the Lalit looking for a fight and yet during our second and third check in experiences, an upgraded room twin room had not been assigned, causing further confusion and a long wait. Abysmal.

After all this hassle, the Executive level upgrade is quite bluntly NOT worth the money. Although staffed by a keen army of servers, the club level lounge is cold and dreary, sparsely furnished with very limited food and drink options and short serving periods. The staff in the lounge was however fantastically accommodating, eager to make up for the bleak provisions supplied to them by the hotel itself.

Our various rooms at the Lalit were seriously worn and falling apart and in need of a good deep cleaning... the attached photos of room 2325 prove it. The furnishings are chipped and stained, the showers are mouldy, the windows and curtains are filthy, and the aircon intake vents are dusty beyond belief. The rooms make a decent first impression, but soon we realized they are in desperate need of repair and renovation. After our second bad experience, we dreaded returning for a third time at the Lalit, but we felt as worn down and tired as the rooms, so decided to just deal with it for one last night.

On our final evening in India, the Front Desk Manager felt compelled to call and apologize for the way she handled our interaction weeks before, and sent a complimentary bottle of wine to our room.

Take my advice and stay somewhere else.

Unless the Lalit makes some dramatic changes towards improving guest relations, front of house attitude and basic housekeeping, this once 5* property is a huge disappointment. AVOID staying here as there are much better luxury hotels in Delhi for the same price. Trust me.

Room Tip: Don't bother with an upgrade; the executive level rooms are not worth the additional money.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kansasforever
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 17 January 2013

Namaskar!!

I hope to welcome you back to The LaLit New Delhi in near future.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Stayed at The Lalit with my young family during 2 spells from 02/01/13 for 2 nights and then again from 09/01/13 for another 3 nights.

The level of service and room quality experienced on both occasions was excellent. Rooms were modern and had a large TV, cable, DVD player (very useful for playing movies for the kids to keep them occupied), kettle and refreshments, mini bar, iron and board, daily complimentary mineral water bottles, climate control, complimentary bathroom items - like soaps, shampoos, toothbrushes etc, king size bed which accommodated 2 adults and 2 kids (3 & 6) bath robes and slippers which we felt added that extra bit of luxury to the stay :)

Hotel facilities were great, heated swimming pool, well equipped gym, spa and great buffet breakfast. If there was one negative then it would be the lack of free WIFI, which in a 5* hotel I would have expected for free in comparison to other hotels I've stayed at.

All of the hotel staff, porters, reception, concierge, security and back room staff really knew how to treat their guests and were very accommodating. As it was the month of my wedding anniversary, the hotel arranged for a bouquet of flowers and cake for us, which was well received by my wife and kids.

Location is ideal, walking distance from the metro rail station, Connaught Circus (plenty of shops and restaurants to keep you busy) and the well regarded Bengali Market - which is famous for its Nathus/Bengali Sweets restaurant and bakery - very useful for topping up on snacks etc to bring back to the hotel.

The bell desk placed the bulk of our luggage in storage whilst we went away for a few days sightseeing outside of Delhi, which we found invaluable.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much larger, however, avoid rooms facing the railway line as you can hear the train...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 16 January 2013

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

A nice hotel with a good location in New Delhi. We stayed for one night here and managed to get some sightseeing done because of the location. Rooms were nice and big and the staff was helpful. Got especially good service with our bags and at the concierge.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 15 January 2013

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We used the Lalit as home base for two weeks of travel in India. The kept our luggage as we took overnight trips to other locales. The staff was very friendly and helpful. All of our rooms were very comfortable. We enjoyed using room service on a couple of occasions and they were very prompt and friendly. We did experience one issue with water coming up from the shower drain. We called and they immediately sent someone who took care of the problem. Housekeeping was right behind them to clean up. In the meantime they were prepared to move us to another room. That turned out not to be necessary. We would definitely recommend the Lalit. The location is also very central to shopping.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 13 January 2013