“Stay at Lalit Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 705 Hotels in New Delhi
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Stay at Lalit Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

The hotel is very central , decent but quite expensive for what it offers ; clean rooms and bathrooms and decent food. The breakfast though good was a bit all over the place. The coffee shop was full and they sent me to another restaurant which was also full and they didn't seem to have a clue on what the solution was. When you are in a hurry best to go and eat early . Check in was slow with most counters empty and a long counter being tghere

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't overlook the station as the noise from the train horns are quite loud...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 23 January 2013

Namaskar!!

At the outset let me thank you for your feedback wherein you have outlined the dissatisfying experience you had at The Lalit New Delhi during your stay with regards to the hotel services.

Pease accept our most sincere and profound apologies for the annoying and dissatisfying experience caused to you.

We have also noted your feedback with regards to the pricing and the same has been shared with the management.

We hope you will not hold this experience against us and will offer us another opportunity to look after you in a manner that you expect and so rightfully deserve.

We remain firmly committed to the ethos and values of hospitality and customer centricity and in accordance we look forward to working towards regaining your faith and confidence in our brand.

Please write me a mail at vshukla@thelalit.com the next time you are visiting New Delhi so that we can really look after you well.

Vivek Shukla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

I reached this hotel with a lot of expectations....it was my first stay at a Lalit property and was looking forward to it. Unfortunately from the check in to the check out was a series of disappointments.
I had come through booking.com and the room had already been paid for two nights. Yet the front desk asked for another 8000 block on my card...guess, they don't trust their guest.

Each day breakfast was a long wait in a line at the entrance... it took about 10 min for my turn to come through. The spread was nothing worth talking about, so I will skip that. The staff is too busy running around to give any kind of attention to you. Understandable in a crowded restaurant...so will skip that too.

Had dinner the first night at the top floor Italian restaurant...it was empty... not surprising, given the overpriced menu and ordinary food.

The worst experience was at check out... the lady refused to give me an invoice.. said I should collect it from booking.com. I asked for the manager and another lady walks out... gives the same line. After a lot of argument, suddenly she changes her tune... "ok, fine, we will give you the invoice, but we will take this up with booking.com"
A bad start to a long working day, but I was glad to get out of the place with my hard won invoice!
A series of mails and calls followed, with booking.com saying it was the hotel's responsibility to give the invoice.
A standard template email did come from the GM Mr Vivek Shukla to which I replied with my experience. Yet to hear from him.

Sigh... still looking for a good place in New Delhi.....

Room Tip: Hmm... still want to stay here?
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 21 January 2013

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

My wife and I arrived with 3 pieces of luggage which the doormen helped thru the xrays and were told to just wait for them in our rooms. We were shown the reception desk where we proceeded to get our assigned room. The long walk from the door men station to the reception was thru the lobby which was of modern design. It was meant to impress and indeed it was most impressive. Check in was professional and quick. With our room keys in hand, we were shown our room on the 10th floor. As we were walking to our assigned room, our luggage also came in. Very quick service.
Immediately ordered room service as both of us were hungry from the long trip. By the time we were thru freshening up our orders arrived. Impressive quick service.
The room was of a good size and very well appointed and very clean. The history of the hotel shown thru their in-room advert was most informative. Mr. Lalit's life and accomplishments were impressive and made for an interesting story.
The king bed was very comfortable and we both had a good night's rest.
Breakfast buffet at the lobby level was a bit crowded but with so many choices. Really excellent experience overall.
When in Delhi, try Lalit. You will be pleasantly surprised at the excellent service.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Namaskar !

Thank you very much for your feedback of your recent stay with us at The LaLiT New Delhi, India.

Your kind words of appreciation about the various hotel services and facilities would certainly go a long way in boosting the morale of the team to even do better and excel in everything they do on a day to day basis to make sure our esteemed guests like yourself are more comfortable and well looked after.

We look forward to your support and patronage to The LaLiT New Delhi and also welcome you back to your home.

chennai. India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed here for a night in Jan2013 due to non availability of regular hotels that I stay in. This is a larger property and when I walked into the Lobby, there were over 100 people. Front desk staff were attentive but I did experience difficulty checking in as they could not locate My booking though I provided them proof. After a short waiting, they allotted a room that was nice, comfortable and well laid out. The front desk staff firmly told me that the exercise room is accessible only after 0800 which later turned out be wrong (the other person manning the front desk in the morning confirmed it is 24x7 and that they would open on demand- the person did not seem to know this. Since I was checking out early (around 0630), I had requested for take away breakfast which they did provide.
Over all this is a good property but not for the rate I paid...

Namaskar!!

This incident is unfortunate and regrettable and we understand the anguish and dissatisfaction experienced by you. The entire team of The Lalit New Delhi joins me in extending their sincere and profound apologies. I have taken up your feedback seriously with the concerned Head of Departments for immediate corrective action. Request you to endow with your contact details for further information.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Front Office: staff was excellent and polite ...prompt cheek-in process"
Room: Nice interior and neat and clean room
Location:was good
Breakfast:Superb Breakfast with all Necessary thing...Enjoyable.
Housekeeping:Excellent

overall good stay and enjoy my business trip.

Thanks

Jaipur, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

the property is just awesome n impressive,the staff is welcoming and friendly.the rooms are spacious with all the amenities.the views from the rooms good.u have to experience their swimming pool which is truly inviting.the breakfast is lavish with many,many varieties of tasty food to offer.u feel fully recharged n satisfied after having it.the location is good.highly recommended.

Room Tip: any room from the top floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 19 January 2013

Hove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

In December 2012, I stayed at the Lalit on 3 separate occasions during a month long tour of India, using Delhi as my hub. I chose the Lalit based on a previous visit to the hotel in 2009.

During my most recent trip, it is my impression that the standards of guest relations and basic cleanliness have dramatically fallen. No longer do I consider this hotel to be one of the best in Delhi, but far from it and I will never choose this hotel again.

There are a few positive aspects to staying at the Lalit:

Great location, within walking distance to Connaught Place

Good buffet breakfast, including eggs cooked to order and a balanced mix of Indian/western foods

An outdoor heated pool and good steam room/sauna

Now for the negatives.

I pre-paid for an executive level room with twin beds and NOT ONCE was this honoured without receiving an argument from front desk staff.

Upon check in, the reception staff was consistently dismissive, distracted, and rude. They appear to HATE their jobs and were seemingly 'at the ready' to deal with angry, disgruntled guests (and by my estimation there were many).

During our first visit, having just stepped off of a 10 hour flight, the Front Desk Manager was rude to me when I demanded an upgraded room with twin beds, for which we had pre-paid. She informed me that these were simply ‘requests’ and were not confirmed in the Lalit’s system, which later turned out to be untrue. When I asked her to contact our local travel agent in Delhi, she said ‘Would you rather have me find you a room or get in a fight with your agent on the phone?’ I didn’t return to the Lalit looking for a fight and yet during our second and third check in experiences, an upgraded room twin room had not been assigned, causing further confusion and a long wait. Abysmal.

After all this hassle, the Executive level upgrade is quite bluntly NOT worth the money. Although staffed by a keen army of servers, the club level lounge is cold and dreary, sparsely furnished with very limited food and drink options and short serving periods. The staff in the lounge was however fantastically accommodating, eager to make up for the bleak provisions supplied to them by the hotel itself.

Our various rooms at the Lalit were seriously worn and falling apart and in need of a good deep cleaning... the attached photos of room 2325 prove it. The furnishings are chipped and stained, the showers are mouldy, the windows and curtains are filthy, and the aircon intake vents are dusty beyond belief. The rooms make a decent first impression, but soon we realized they are in desperate need of repair and renovation. After our second bad experience, we dreaded returning for a third time at the Lalit, but we felt as worn down and tired as the rooms, so decided to just deal with it for one last night.

On our final evening in India, the Front Desk Manager felt compelled to call and apologize for the way she handled our interaction weeks before, and sent a complimentary bottle of wine to our room.

Take my advice and stay somewhere else.

Unless the Lalit makes some dramatic changes towards improving guest relations, front of house attitude and basic housekeeping, this once 5* property is a huge disappointment. AVOID staying here as there are much better luxury hotels in Delhi for the same price. Trust me.

Room Tip: Don't bother with an upgrade; the executive level rooms are not worth the additional money.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kansasforever
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 17 January 2013