“Terrible experience”

The Lalit New Delhi
Ranked #41 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I dont know where to start,it was a bad experience beginning with reservation till check out.I made reservation for two rooms and when I called they told me suite is 19000 per night.I said I would call later to confirm.Called 2 hours later and now they quote rate of 28,000 for same room.Asked that person to talk to manager and they agreed to give rate of 19000 per night.I gave them my credit card number and reservation was made.Then called them later to book another room they could not find my reservation adn had to rebook the room.
This is terrible standard for 5 star reservations.Then food taste over there is terrible.We had a function and had 10 things on menu .Out of 10 prespeciifed things there were only 8 of them and all of them tasted terrible.
Then come to check out process,the staff has such an attitude - even the person who comes and get your luggage.
We conveyed all these things to hotel manager at the end.He made some concessions for our bad experiences.But overall it was terrible stay,there are many 5 star hotels in same area with much better service.

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank ishsin

Reviewed 23 November 2009

I stayed here for four nights in November 2009, and am so disappointed that despite the facelift since last year, the service is still the same: slow, unfriendly and depressing. There is a real problem in this hotel with the staff and customer service compared to any other 5 star hotel. The Taj puts the Lalit to shame, mind you so would the travel lodge. Let's start with the pick up service at the airport. It was complimentary. Great. He nearly went without me though! Two names on the same board. Because it had been booked by the same tour company, the driver assumed that when the first person arrived, they could go without me.. It was the other lady who saved the day by asking the driver to wait behind for me, otherwise they would have gone. Thanks to this lady! Secondly, on check in. 45 minutes this process took. I had requested a "quiet, non-smoking room" and called that day to confirm this request. They didn't have it!! Eventually after much negotiation they had a room, but when I got there, it was facing the train station, and had no bath. So I called up, and they showed me two other rooms with another compromise: one was smoking, one was adjoining room. I went with the "quiet adjoining" - my god bad choice. The hotel might have been refurbished, but the soundproofing at this place is dire. The next door neighbours could be heard rustling their newspapers and stirring their coffee - no joke! It was awful. Also, they decided to start smoking in a non-smoking room as the smoke smell went right under the door and stank my room out. I called front desk to report this, but who knows if they done anything!
Laundry service is late. My trousers were 1.5 hours late.
Breakfast was nice but again bad service, I was made to sit down at a dirty table, no one cleaned it.
Upon check out, they had preauthorised the charges to another guest's credit card, and no one asked me how was my stay. They dont have questionnaires in the room and its no wonder, they know about the hotel's problems I am sure they must get lots of complaints.
PS rooms are nice but not functional. Trying to figure out the shower, the button is hidden behind the dial.
I wont stay here on my next trip to India.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Weecathy
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I stayed in a new room at The Lalit and thought it was amazing. The service, food, salon, gym, pool, decor, etc. can only be considered five-star, but it definitely came at a high price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2009

The impressive entrance and reception area makes an immediate impact. There are several very comfortable seating areas where you can wait for people, or just watch the world go by. It is a busy hotel, and I suspect that quite a few business people use it as it is close to the business area of Delhi. We liked the position of the hotel ( it is about 10 minutes away from Connaught Place), and the larger than average rooms. We asked for a non-smoking room as close to the top of the hotel as possible, and we weren't disappointed with the fabulous view. The air conditioning worked well and was easy to control. The bed was extra king size, incredibly comfortable with a light duvet. I would have appreciated a sheet under the duvet - sometimes you don't want to sleep with a duvet, but you still need a light cover. Both the bed linen and towels were top quality. We had to ask for extra towels, and one light in the bathroom wasn't working, but it was sorted out pretty quickly once we called reception. The flat screen TV showed all the usual channels, including BBC 24. As I am not a breakfast person I really appreciated the tea making facilities in the room, and also the amount of (free) bottled water. The bathroom was spacious, with a huge walk in shower. Curiously, the bathroom was separated from the main room by a see through glass wall - but you could roll down the fitted blinds if you wanted some privacy. The restaurant on the ground floor is open 24 hours - and we were grateful to be able to order food and something to drink when we arrived at the hotel at 1.30 in the morning. I didn't like having to pay to use the internet in the business centre (if you had your own laptop the wifi was free). But I did like the fact that we were given a late check out and so could take our time before leaving for a late flight out. The pool area was good, hardly used it seemed to us (but we were there in the low season) and the changing room facilities were fine, although the ladies changing rooms could have been better stocked with shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. The service in the restaurant was a bit hit and miss - sometimes very quick, other times we had to wait for ages. Security at the entrance of the hotel was good - fast but thorough.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I stayed in the Lalit for a week in September, and am planning to go back there again for a couple of days next week. I travel to- and around- India a lot with my work, and the Lalit is by far the best hotel that i have stayed in in Delhi, and also in India (even better than the Taj Bengal, Hyatt etc).

There were a few issues during my stay, but the hotel manager went out of his way to resolve these for me, going over and above what I would expect. The rooms are spacious, modern and a joy to work in, as was the gym. Ah! The gym, the pool and the spa.. I would be happy just living here, in fact. The gym has powerplates, all the latest equipment, a great view, and the staff are extremely helpful.

food = great, and a wide selection for room service. Definitely go for the buffet breakfast if you can.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2009

We enjoyed our stay in the Hotel.Centre of Delhi,Cannaugt place ,was walking distance from Hotel.My daughter enjoyed the pool.The room was big with all modern amenities.The breakfast was lavish.All the staff we interacted with were very courteous.Overall an exceiient Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The attitude displayed by the reception staff towards me was appalling. I had been looking forward to experiencing this hotel but because I choose not to have a credit card on my person (I have a debit card instead), the reception staff forced me to leave all my cash (Rs5000) with them as a deposit:: I felt quite insulted . In the rest of my travels in throughout India staying at other 5-star hotels, I never once experienced this problem again.
The room was modern but the bathroom lighting didn't work. The food was adequate.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends