“Good hotel, though might expect better for 5*”

The Lalit New Delhi
Ranked #37 of 779 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Having read a few reviews that complained about the noise from an adjacent railway station, I was a bit concerned about the Lalit, but thankfully the concerns were unfounded. We could hear no railway noise at all - I don't know if our room was just facing the other way, but we literally never heard a train. We were facing the main road, so there was some traffic noise (we were on the 20th floor), but I'm a light sleeper and the traffic noise didn't bother me.

The room itself is spacious and modern. The bathroom is okay, but the bath/shower is a bit grotty. The bathtub itself was clearly made of cheap material which had greyed/yellowed in certain areas and generally made it look dirty. The public areas in the hotel are nicely done out and have a modern feel to them.

Breakfast was complete chaos - it took an age to get something as simple as a fork,! Getting coffee and tea was equally difficult, and as a result of the staff being useless, we had to have someone at the table the entire time (ithere is a buffet) to "guard" our prized possessions as the only way to get cups/cutlery/jams etc is to pilfer them from other tables.

Delhi was our first stop so we were exhausted and jet-lagged the night we arrived and decided to have dinner at the hotel. Whilst the staff at dinner were much more courteous than those at breakfast, the service was painfully slow. However, the food was very good so almost made it worth the wait..

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,317)

Reviewed 3 December 2009

the hotel is gr8 after renovation, need to gear up for the service standards...............

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I stayed in Lalit during my brief weekend trip to Delhi. I was positively surprised. Rooms were spacious and decorated with good taste, service was discreet and not too much. Suited well a Scandinavian traveller.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Not a bad stay. Location is ok, not exactly in the middle of things, but it's fine. We had a room on the 22nd floor overlooking the city which was nice.

Our only complaint is that the reservation wasn't ready when we got there and we had to wait for them to input in the computer again.

Otherwise, the rooms were clean, the food service was excellent and we had a great view. The breakfast was good and had no real complaints.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I dont know where to start,it was a bad experience beginning with reservation till check out.I made reservation for two rooms and when I called they told me suite is 19000 per night.I said I would call later to confirm.Called 2 hours later and now they quote rate of 28,000 for same room.Asked that person to talk to manager and they agreed to give rate of 19000 per night.I gave them my credit card number and reservation was made.Then called them later to book another room they could not find my reservation adn had to rebook the room.
This is terrible standard for 5 star reservations.Then food taste over there is terrible.We had a function and had 10 things on menu .Out of 10 prespeciifed things there were only 8 of them and all of them tasted terrible.
Then come to check out process,the staff has such an attitude - even the person who comes and get your luggage.
We conveyed all these things to hotel manager at the end.He made some concessions for our bad experiences.But overall it was terrible stay,there are many 5 star hotels in same area with much better service.

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank ishsin
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I stayed here for four nights in November 2009, and am so disappointed that despite the facelift since last year, the service is still the same: slow, unfriendly and depressing. There is a real problem in this hotel with the staff and customer service compared to any other 5 star hotel. The Taj puts the Lalit to shame, mind you so would the travel lodge. Let's start with the pick up service at the airport. It was complimentary. Great. He nearly went without me though! Two names on the same board. Because it had been booked by the same tour company, the driver assumed that when the first person arrived, they could go without me.. It was the other lady who saved the day by asking the driver to wait behind for me, otherwise they would have gone. Thanks to this lady! Secondly, on check in. 45 minutes this process took. I had requested a "quiet, non-smoking room" and called that day to confirm this request. They didn't have it!! Eventually after much negotiation they had a room, but when I got there, it was facing the train station, and had no bath. So I called up, and they showed me two other rooms with another compromise: one was smoking, one was adjoining room. I went with the "quiet adjoining" - my god bad choice. The hotel might have been refurbished, but the soundproofing at this place is dire. The next door neighbours could be heard rustling their newspapers and stirring their coffee - no joke! It was awful. Also, they decided to start smoking in a non-smoking room as the smoke smell went right under the door and stank my room out. I called front desk to report this, but who knows if they done anything!
Laundry service is late. My trousers were 1.5 hours late.
Breakfast was nice but again bad service, I was made to sit down at a dirty table, no one cleaned it.
Upon check out, they had preauthorised the charges to another guest's credit card, and no one asked me how was my stay. They dont have questionnaires in the room and its no wonder, they know about the hotel's problems I am sure they must get lots of complaints.
PS rooms are nice but not functional. Trying to figure out the shower, the button is hidden behind the dial.
I wont stay here on my next trip to India.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Weecathy
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I stayed in a new room at The Lalit and thought it was amazing. The service, food, salon, gym, pool, decor, etc. can only be considered five-star, but it definitely came at a high price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo