“Not five star, but decent hotel for the reasonable price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lalit New Delhi

The Lalit New Delhi
Ranked #43 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
New York, NY
“Not five star, but decent hotel for the reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

We stayed as part of a tour package. The hotel was fine but we specifically had requested a 5-star hotel and this was not it. We checked in near midnight and had to move rooms thrice. The first and third rooms were supposed to be nonsmoking but contined ashtrays and stank of cigarettes. The second room smelled of mold. The fourth room was a charm. Service is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is a highlight.

• Stayed February 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
megh10, Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 26 February 2011
Dear Tripadvisor member

At the outset I would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Lalit, New Delhi.
It is the feedback from our esteemed and valued guests which gives us an opportunity to further enhance and refine our processes to achieve customer delight. I am confident you will find marked improvement in the services during your subsequent visits.

Megh Vinayak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

I have stayed twice at the LaLit Hotel in New Delhi. Anyone who might have previously reviewed this hotel may not have been back lately. A thorough renovation has taken place and both the rooms and the common areas are luxurious and comfortable. Their airport arrival and departure service are better than any hotel's that I have experienced. Apparently the owners keep a private jet at the airport so guests at their hotel benefit from a full-time staff at the airport. I am going back again next week and look forward to staying at the LaLit again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Basha67
Dear Tripadvisor member

At the outset I would like to thank you for your recent stay at The LaLiT New Delhi. I am glad to note that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and found our services measuring up to your satisfaction.

Bucks, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

Large comfortable room with both bath & shower in ensuite. Most comfy bed of our trip. Internet/Wifi at significant cost. Great pool ( heated) with v comfortable loungers, though road noise/pollution a bit intrusive. Extensive breakfast buffet in rather noisy "canteen" setting. In house indian restaurant very expensive ( more tha in the UK!)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

I stayed at the Lalit for 3 nights in February.
Arrival: We'd booked two cars for the airport to hotel transfer. Only one was there and the other one had taken off with some impostor. Strange.

Lobby: Nice. But very crowded.

Check in: Sloooowww. The guy took about 15 mins to check me in.

My room was on the 26th floor, modern and clean. Nice bathroom. Big enough for two.

I did not see the gym or the pool.

They have a Northwest Indian restaurant on the 2nd floor, which I found okay. I went there for lunch.

On the ground floor they have a coffee shop. I had breakfast and lunch there.

1st Breakfast at 1000 which seemed to be their busiest time. Service was poor, I had to wait ages for my cutlery because the table wasn't set.
2nd breakfast 0800. Much better this time with less people and quicker service.
Lunch : I had the buffet and concentrated on the Indian dishes. I asked a waiter for a naan, which you must order. He forgot. Ten minutes later I went and ordered it myself. However another waiter explained to me the complexities of the Kashmiri drinks on offer.

The Bar: I went there a few times. They remembered my drink which I like.
Check out: Fast. Except then I had to wait another 15 mins for the hotel car that I'd ordered the night before.

I'd like to address somethings mentioned in other reviews. There are contradictory comments about hearing train whistles. Yes you do hear a train going by. Yes you can hear train whistles. It doesn't bother me.
Second, there was a comment about the area around the hotel not being nice to walk around. That's true but it's also true for most of the hotels in Delhi. In general I don't like to walk in Delhi at all. Except around the Hotel Diplomat or the Imperial.
Overall: A very good hotel with the potential to be much better if they trained their staff right. Maurya Sheraton it ain't. But you're not paying Maurya prices.

PS - you gotta watch the documentary about the founder. It's on channel 2. 'nuff said. Oh and it's his Ferrari parked outside too!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed here in Oct 2010 -and whilst it was for one night only- wished we had stayed longer.
The hotel is very clean and the service especially in the Resturant was exceptional.
Excellent choice of wines are available and as we found out during our tour in India this is a rarity!
Not sure if this there was a special occasion but the bar had a DJ which was pretty cool - and the noise did not travel outside the bar. Lovely place to stay

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

The LaLit hotel was ideal for this business trip, being close to the Exhibition centre and very close to Connaught Place. The airport transfer was excellent, met at the exit and escorted to the awaiting transport ... and whisked off to the hotel. Arrival at the palatial lobby and check in was very wll organised. The only snag being 26 Jan ... and therefore India's National Day ... not a drop of alcohol was available for sale, even in the international hotels [apart from the mini-bar!] ... not that I normally 'hit' the bottle you understand ... but it would have been nice to have a cold beer, other than in my room - which incidently was perfect for my needs. Sleep quality was very good, although the noise of 'tooting' trains, from the station behind the hotel, at 6 a.m. every moring served as a [too early] wake up call.!

Wifi is available .. at a cost. The 24/7 restaurant and Bar very good ... excellent buffet breakfast. Fantastic Indian Restaurant on 3rd floor ... with very reasonable wine list.

All in all a good stay. Staff were the icing on the cake!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Bettembourg, Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Upon arrival we were impressed with the lobby and the room. After a short while the impressiveness was diminished by its wear and tear: huge cracks in the bedroom and bathroom ceilings, hole is the bed linens, gray/dank bath towels and the floor lamp behind the room chair had to be leaned on the wall to avoid it falling onto the floor. In its day the room was obviously considered ahead of its time in regard to modern decor and design. At first glance the room is pleasing, but then you realise that for a five star hotel the room is aged. They are doing renovations on one of the wings so it does appear that they are addressing the aging issue. The lobby is nice upon entry, but after a couple days it becomes uninviting. Not much there... no open lobby lounge (separate from the lobby behind a basic door). We had a poolside view room. Over the weekend there was zero train horn noise. We only heard train horns (and only a couple of times) on weekdays during the daytime... so no issue at all.

Breakfast is more than ample with a huge variety of international foods. The restaurant it is served in is comfortable and the attention given by the room's manager and staff is utterly gracious. They ran out of bananas and sent someone to the market to get a replenishment!!! Very impressive. Nothing was impossible upon request and done with the warmest service. Attitude free aim to please service!

Room service was prompt and the food was terrific. Oh that lamb biryani was perfection and no skimping on the lamb either. We put the table out in the hall and just a few moments later when we opened our room door to put something else on the table.... the table was already removed!

The spa was pleasant. Massage was good, manicure/pedicure was done by a male, but done nicely. Warm and attentive service.

Location: like all Delhi hotels the location is odd... they are all sort of plopped in places amidst decrepit buildings in areas that are a mix of being well maintained and not so well maintained. We learned that selecting a hotel in Delhi is not about location as much as it is about quality. If a hotel is not in an area mixed with the sightly and unsightly then they are well off the beaten path. Regardless walking from a hotel is neither appealing or convenient. Not to mention that one is accosted by auto-rickshaw drivers or wanna be tour guides so frequently that the endless attempts to turn their offers down utterly exhausts a person. So, to stroll from the hotel to any destination is most unpleasant. The only avoidance of this is to take a true taxi from the hotel to ones destination. So, forget location... go for quality. Anyway, Connaught Place is not a desirable destination so no need to seek accommodation just to be nearby. That was why we selected The Lalit and we regret not knowing this aspect of Delhi and its hotels. Not to send the wrong message... The Lalit is a very decent hotel... and will be even better after renovations. We just would have chosen to pay more for assured five star quality over location.

Overall: the staff are what makes The Lalit. While it lacks in being a true five star in areas the staff more than compensate for its flaws. One can stay at a true five star property and receive the same level of service and location dilemas... but the downside of that is that you pay double or more for it.

I will recommend The Lalit for value in Delhi, but if you are seeking a real five star property you will have to look elsewhere... but once it is renovated all I can say is: look out all other five star Delhi hotels because The Lalit is preparing to be a real competitor!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
megh10, Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, 29 January 2011