“Wonderful Hotel, fabulous hospitality and staff. Best hotel in Delhi”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #13 of 779 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I was a returning guest to The Imperial Hotel, in Delhi, yet again the hotel is impeccable and it was a joy for me to return. Always feel so at home here and the Front Office Manager, Mr Babar Khanyari showed immense professionalism and kindness to arrange even the most demanding request. I cannot stress more strongly how incredibly wonderful this hotel is. I cannot wait to stay again very very soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,131)

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Wonderful hotel, beautiful ambience. Sad to say that the undercooked omelette gave me the official Delhi Belly. The dismissive attitude of the hotel was disappointing but the diagnosis and antibiotics given by the Lovely doctor at our next stop, Oberoi, was true to India's loving nature.
If personalized service is more important that interior design I would suggest one of the many fine B&B in town .

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Best Food and Service
This Hotel in one of the best places in Dehli features impeccable attention to details; very fine cuisine; and traditionally favored by royalty.

Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We stayed in this hotel twice: the first time for 4 nights at the beginning of our trip and for 6 nights at the end of our trip.

The first day of our arrival, I had a medical emergency. My partner called Reception and they sent the house doctor. I was then transported immediately to a private hospital where I then spent the next two nights and where I might add, the staff were extremely kind, attentive, and professional.

During my stay in the hospital, the hotel staff were incredible! Since we didn't know when we'd be able to leave, the hotel arranged for my partner to stay in the same room for each additional night of our stay. They also arranged for a car and driver back and forth between the hospital and the hotel. Note: The hospital was located in a distant suburb so there was no hailing a taxi in the street. This alleviated a great deal of stress for both myself and my partner. The hotel also sent a representative to bring me flowers and check to see if I needed anything, which I did as I was trying to contact my partner at the hotel. The hotel rep took care of it for me. Once again, she was very warm and professional and made me feel as if the hotel was my home in a foreign city that I hadn't even got to see yet.

Once we knew that I would be able to leave the hospital and could continue our trip, the hotel staff immediately rebooked a flight for us to Udaipur. The hotel concierges had previously cancelled our original flight for us, cancelled our hotel for us and obtained a credit, and rebooked another hotel for us. This was alot of work and thanks to them, everything worked out brilliantly as we continued onwards. if it wasn't for all their efforts, kindness and reassurance, we probably would have gotten back on the plane and returned to London and then Montreal.

After travelling around Rajasthan, we were very happy to return to the Imperial Hotel. Our room was a nice size (I don't like suites), warm and inviting. The service was mindblowing. Whatever, we asked for, we got. Laundry service was fantastic. There was a woman on duty in the business centre to solve any computer problems. She enabled me to at last retrieve my email which I hadn't been able to do on our travels.

As for food, we always went to the 1911 Restaurant as I couldn't eat Indian food and my partner loved it so we both got what we wanted. Food and service was excellent and our waiter always remembered what we liked to drink etc. This was wonderful at the end of a long hot and dusty day in particular. We always ate on the terrace or just inside as the grounds are beautiful. We did try the Italian restaurant one night. We ate outside and the food and service was terrific. Also, at breakfast, we always took something- croissants etc ( in their convenient take away bags) to snack on during the day. We always ate at the hotel to be safe as I didn't need any more health problems. Note: We did eat at one restaurant called Basil and Thyme in Santushti Shopping Complex. It's mentioned I believe by Fiona Caulfield in Love Delhi. I was a little worried as we seemed to be the only foreigners and the place was full. The food was absolutely delicious and we had no stomach problems.

We also took a dip in the swimming pool. The water was a little cold despite the heat but the experience was lovely as you can't see the street thanks to lush greenery but you can hear the sounds of the city. There is an area around the swimming pool with tables where you can eat something and have a drink.

The hotel is extremely well preserved and maintained. Old colonial style but completely modernized regarding amenities. Loved studying the framed prints on the walls in the hallways. Well worth taking the time to look. Speaking of the hallways, there were always scented candles burning so the air smelled sweetly fragrant. Really enjoyed the smell.

The hotel also arranged a car and driver for us for our days of sightseeing and shopping. The drivers were wonderful (not always the same driver)-knowledgeable and patient. I had addresses of shops and there was never any problem finding them and the addresses were in different areas of the city. I found the rates reasonable, particularly for a luxury hotel. We preferred booking through the hotel to avoid any hassles. Due to my health, we tried to keep stress etc to a minimum.

One word of warning: I did notice that the hotel does have private parties and events. Fortunately, they took place far enough from our room that we were never inconvenienced by any noise etc. We stayed in room 212 and loved it.

All in all, I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. They turned what could have been a very expensive disaster into a very enriching and successful trip.

PS: The grounds are gorgeous. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to take a tour. They make the hotel an oasis of peace and beauty in the middle of a noisy and chaotic city.

Room Tip: Always ask to look at the room before accepting.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HayKay
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Beautiful hotel that has a wonderful sense of history but manages to avoid feeling tired. It has a great pool. The Imperial is centrally located (Jantar Mantar is around the corner) without being too adversely affected by noise from the street. Breakfast buffet was excellent, though the other food was sadly underwhelming. Spice Route is excellent but somewhat overpriced, particularly for wine. If you feel like dragging yourself away from the hotel and interacting with the locals, you might try Saravana Bhawan across the street for excellent South Indian food at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Overall still a big fan. Visited in February - and were given a room overlooking the hotel entrance, after about 5 minutes of listening to the loudspeaker calling out for all the drivers (which continues all day and night) - we called down and asked to move. The hotel found us a new room and moved us in no time - however the receptionist was clearly quite grumpy about it. We also decided to visit the new spa - which was not good - to be fair it was still under construction and half the staff had yet to be trained. The restaurant is excellent, the pool is from heaven, the bar is good and the gift & bookshop provide the perfect place to stock up on reading and buy presents. Sadly the garden was screened off while we we were there as in wedding season they put up big marquees - but no disaster - its still probably my favourite place on the planet.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Beautiful, elegant hotel built in 1936 maintains the classic design style of the period. Expensive, but worth it. We complained that there was noise coming up to our room from the restaurant below and the manager graciously upgraded us to a suite. The Spice Route restaurant is gorgeous - hand painted walls that tell stories they will gladly explain to you. Food was great, also. Watch out for the "1911" bar, however. The drink prices are steep.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple