“A chilly night at the imperial”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #13 of 728 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 21 September 2011

After a back breaking ride from agra, the imperial awaited us like a star in the night sky, the ever friendly door keeper just kept on greeting all of us without a frown. Luggage was taken to our rooms even before we could get in. The cosy rooms and the much needed hot water was just too soothing for my body. The staff were just too courteous and attended to our every need. And of course the restaurants in the hotel are just mindblowing.

The Imperial does give you that imperial, rich feeling.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank crisfan d

Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is by far the best place to stay while visiting Delhi. The hotel is in the centre of everything! The ground floor is terrific - the afternoon tea superb - the dinning an ultimate experience - the rooms are simply lovely!! The gardens are well kept and the service is great. There is a lovely bakery with goods not easily found in and around Indian hotels in general. Exercising is a treat with individual attention given to anyone wishing it. It is royal treatment and a must stay at least once in a lifetime!!

Room Tip: All rooms a quite different but the garden rooms are terrific!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank TarunChanna
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed in Imperial 5 nights during which w enjoyed the elegance of the hotel and attentivness of its service a lot. We had a groundfloor room which was very comfortable, clean and elegant, although I felt a bit too small.
The hotel has a very nice swimming pool which offers a possibility of proper swim. The service was very attentive and sometimes funny (once I was politely 'refused' the morning toast until the toast manager is back :-)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My stay at The Imperial was outstanding in every way. The building itself is historic and beautifully maintained. The rooms are comfortable and nicely appointed, the restaurants have character and delicious menus, and the staff are wonderful, from the drivers to the front desk to the housekeepers to the management. I stayed for several nights in one room at the beginning of my trip, and one night at the end in a different room. I would be hard pressed to say which was nicer, as both were superb. I had at least one meal in each of the hotel's restaurants and was never disappointed. Take an art tour of the hotel's collection if you have a chance. You can also arrange for a hotel car and driver to take you around Delhi and beyond. Indeed, I spent three days in the company of one of their drivers on a private side trip to Agra and Jaipur. He was excellent, not only driving me wherever I needed to go, but also gently advising me about some tourist guide and shopping pitfalls. At one point or another during my stay I had the personal attention of General Manager Vijay Wanchoo, Sales Manager Neha Negi, and Guest Relations Manager Laila Singh. I suspect they spend much of their time making guests feel as welcome as I felt. None of them seemed too rushed to talk with a guest, answer questions, give advice. The Imperial is not an inexpensive hotel, so be prepared. But if you can afford it, you will treat yourself to first-rate service and an unforgettable stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We have wanted to stay at the "Grand old Lady" ever since coming to dine here at The Spice Route several years ago and then again in 2008. Well we finally got our chance through a wonderful 'Long Stay' offer by the Imperial that made a fantastic 9 day stay possible. This stay comprised a special room rate, breakfast, free internet and airport transfer to and from the hotel.The hotel was charming sophisticated old worldly and elegant. The service was endlessly superb. The array of restaurants bars and coffee/ tea rooms was fabulous and the attention to their individual decor and service was first class. The food and restaurant service was second to none and the breakfast has to be seen to be believed.But above all the service rendered by all of the staff was courteous warm and genuine each day, all of the time. Thank you all for making our stay so enjoyable,fascinating and memorable especially the staff in 1911for your attention and warmth to us aussie travellers. Sensational!! GEOFFREY F.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The Imperial New Delhi offers one of the best fine dining experiences in the country, The spice route, 1911 and San Gimignano are comparable to the best in the world such as Noma in Copenhagen and Le Chateaubriand in Paris. When it comes to fine dining the thing that sets apart the best in the world is service and this is one area where The Imperial excels and flourishes thanks to its highly courteous staff and the F&B director Mr. Surinder Thakur. I have seen this gentleman every time I have been to The Imperial, he's always there at breakfast/Lunch/Dinner greeting the guests cheerfully and going out of the way to offer world class service of the highest standard. Keep it up and I highly recommend The Imperial.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Although the hotel lobby areas are beautiful the rooms all smell of mildew. The staff showed us three rooms to see if we could find one with no mildew smell. WE were so tired that we settled on a room and I woke up congested from the smell. It was night time when we arrived and the staff told me it was a beautiful garden view room. The next morning we woke to a wall where pigeons live and the entire wall was covered with pigeon poop. Plus, they nickle and dime you for everything. One of the staff made a toll free call to Am Ex (from the number on my card) for me from my room and we received a phone call saying that the charge would be over $100. (Yet they say it's an American Express affiliated hotel) My husband argued with the manager and they kept reducing the cost down to $75 then $50, etc.
There are a lot of hotels in Delhi -- next time we'll skip the Imperial.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family