“Best hotel in Delhi, and one of the best in the world...”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #12 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Paris, France
“Best hotel in Delhi, and one of the best in the world...”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I have stayed at the Imperial for over the past 10 years during my visits to Delhi. The standard and quality of service is by far one of the best I have ever experienced in any hotel around the world. I have also stayed at the Oberoi and Taj in Delhi, and while those are both excellent hotels as well, the Imperial surpasses them by far, by giving you an intimate, boutique hotel setting with personable service, combined with all the facilities of a business hotel.

To give you some examples:

Front desk staff are extremely helpful and generous; I arrived on my birthday to find a room upgrade and a birthday cake in my room!

The business centre is open 24 hours, which is great for business travellers. The staff are extremely knowledgeable and helpful; I had to have a document printed urgently - I just sent it to them by email and they delivered it to my room.

The restaurant service is attentive and the food is excellent and fresh. I have a nut allergy, and it seemed this was communicated to all of them, as every time I ordered any food or room service, the waiters would always confirm that there were no nuts, which saved me the hassle of having to tell them every time. The room service staff are extremely efficient, as well as lovely people.

The hotel itself is like a museum of amazing art and prints; I often wander the hallways just looking at all the beautiful historical paintings and prints of India that it houses. The building is also a beautiful piece of art deco architecture.

The one thing that I always found missing at the Imperial has now been rectified, which is the opening of the Spa. The architecture of the Spa, the decor, the staff, the treatments all surpassed my expectations. It is by far one of the best spas I have ever been to.

For female business travellers like myself, the Imperial also opened a wing which is just for women. At first, I didn't think much of the idea when I read about it, but having stayed in this wing, I can confirm, that it really is a thoughtful idea - only female staff serve you (which is great when you have to work late in your pyjamas), there are extra amenities which are lovely, and there is a security camera outside your door where you can monitor who is there. Even though the entire hotel is very safe, there is an added sense of security being a woman and staying on this floor.

Of course, all of this doesn't come without a price. The Imperial is expensive, but it is no more than the other 5 star hotels in Delhi. And what you get for that price, I can confirm, is much more on all fronts.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MPKParis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Staying at the Imperial is like being transported back in time to a more genteel era. The public areas are filled with historical paintings and antiques. You feel the sense of history all around.
We checked in early after an overnight flight and were given a room straight away. Always a nice gesture which we really appreciated. The check-in was quick and friendly.
Our room, an Imperial room, was beautifully presented. It was spacious with a high ceiling, dressing room and a luxurious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well.
We enjoyed the breakfast in the 1911 restaurant. There was a good choice of Indian and Western foods.
We particularly enjoyed the swimming pool which was very refreshing after a bit of sightseeing. We would, however, have preferred a larger and more varied choice of food on the poolside menu.
We ate at the Spice Route, which we enjoyed very much. We also liked the ambience of the Patiala Peg bar for pre-dinner cocktails.
At check-out there was a little confusion about whether our reservation included local taxes. The Front Desk Manager offered to sort it our after we had left as we had a flight to catch. He was true to his word and it was settled in our absence. We would like to thank him for that and praise the Front Desk staff in general.
Next time that we are in Delhi we will definitely be staying at the Imperial. It was worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 22 September 2011

You could spend hours just looking at the artwork, particularly paintings and prints in this historical place. The Imperial is largely a business hotel but has an excellent pool and spa. The standard of service, food served is excellent. San Gimignano, the Italian restaurant, has won several prizes yet I was still surprised to have eaten the best Carpaccio ever. Sadly, the grand 1911 bar has been turned into a sports bar. Pumping bass and flickering pictures of the rednecks is not what I expected in a classy bar. The bookshop is very good, the Patisserie rivals any in Paris in terms of quality, the souvenir shop is simply terrible, however.

All in all, while the service might be as good in other rival business hotels none will have the history of the Imperial. A great stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 21 September 2011

After a back breaking ride from agra, the imperial awaited us like a star in the night sky, the ever friendly door keeper just kept on greeting all of us without a frown. Luggage was taken to our rooms even before we could get in. The cosy rooms and the much needed hot water was just too soothing for my body. The staff were just too courteous and attended to our every need. And of course the restaurants in the hotel are just mindblowing.

The Imperial does give you that imperial, rich feeling.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank crisfan d
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is by far the best place to stay while visiting Delhi. The hotel is in the centre of everything! The ground floor is terrific - the afternoon tea superb - the dinning an ultimate experience - the rooms are simply lovely!! The gardens are well kept and the service is great. There is a lovely bakery with goods not easily found in and around Indian hotels in general. Exercising is a treat with individual attention given to anyone wishing it. It is royal treatment and a must stay at least once in a lifetime!!

Room Tip: All rooms a quite different but the garden rooms are terrific!
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank TarunChanna
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed in Imperial 5 nights during which w enjoyed the elegance of the hotel and attentivness of its service a lot. We had a groundfloor room which was very comfortable, clean and elegant, although I felt a bit too small.
The hotel has a very nice swimming pool which offers a possibility of proper swim. The service was very attentive and sometimes funny (once I was politely 'refused' the morning toast until the toast manager is back :-)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My stay at The Imperial was outstanding in every way. The building itself is historic and beautifully maintained. The rooms are comfortable and nicely appointed, the restaurants have character and delicious menus, and the staff are wonderful, from the drivers to the front desk to the housekeepers to the management. I stayed for several nights in one room at the beginning of my trip, and one night at the end in a different room. I would be hard pressed to say which was nicer, as both were superb. I had at least one meal in each of the hotel's restaurants and was never disappointed. Take an art tour of the hotel's collection if you have a chance. You can also arrange for a hotel car and driver to take you around Delhi and beyond. Indeed, I spent three days in the company of one of their drivers on a private side trip to Agra and Jaipur. He was excellent, not only driving me wherever I needed to go, but also gently advising me about some tourist guide and shopping pitfalls. At one point or another during my stay I had the personal attention of General Manager Vijay Wanchoo, Sales Manager Neha Negi, and Guest Relations Manager Laila Singh. I suspect they spend much of their time making guests feel as welcome as I felt. None of them seemed too rushed to talk with a guest, answer questions, give advice. The Imperial is not an inexpensive hotel, so be prepared. But if you can afford it, you will treat yourself to first-rate service and an unforgettable stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo