“An elegant retreat”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #12 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 14 February 2013

THe Imperial is a most relaxing oasis in Delhi and a perfect starting off point for a tour of Rajastan. Service is the very best and the rooms a good size.
Prices in the main restaurants are not cheap but the choice at breakfast leaves nothing to be desired.
It is certainly a hotel to which we would happily return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jtowies
Write a ReviewReviews (3,107)

Reviewed 14 February 2013

There is no question that the Imperial is an excellent hotel. A fabulous building, excellent restaurants, friendly helpful staff, lovely rooms.
My one complaint is about the delhi metro excavations to the front of the hotel.
We had heard about this before we booked, so checked with the hotel whether this would cause any disruption to our stay - they replied no.
However, please be advised the buliding work takes place all through the night, so if you are a light, jetlagged sleeper, this may not be the best hotel choice for you.
After complaining following a sleepless night we got moved to a much nicer room at the other side of the hotel.
Top tip - Avoid room 025 - the smell of damp is horrid! Even the oil burner couldnt disguise the stench.
Rooms on upper floors are probably preferable to those on the ground floor

Room Tip: Avoid room 025 - the smell of damp is horrid! Even the oil burner couldnt disguise the stench. Roo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jan30London
Reviewed 14 February 2013

This hotel was an excellent choice for us: the property is beautiful, with a lush garden and great interior decor. The location is unbeatable, in the hearth of New Delhi tourist hub. Restaurants are really good. Only downside if you do not book early you won't find rooms there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Aziz R
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Stayed for 3 nights at this excellent hotel. Food was superb (Spice route and Daniel's are exceptional). Staff friendly and their drivers very helpful. We had a great stay and would recommend the Imperial if you want a slice of luxury when visiting Delhi.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NigelandCarol B
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This was my second stay at The Imperial. I have to say that this hotel is a real gem. It's architecture is perfectly matching the style of the time when it was built and everything looks in tune. The hotel was completely restored a few years ago and the architects have done a great job.
I look at every detail of this hotel and all those "glamorous" hotels in modern skyscrapers become utterly meaningless. The feeling I get walking and dining in this hotel is that of history.
The service is very good. The staff is careful and accomplished, the breakfast quality and variety to my full satisfaction, both restaurants highly recommendable.
I have absolutely no negative comments. Just avoid rooms 109 and 111 as they are just above a terrasse where people enjoy their evening and the windows do not dampen the sound enough. I couldn't complain as the guests' chatter was not loud, but I like complete silence when I have to sleep. If you do too, then ask for other rooms or have earplugs.
There is a massive subway construction site nearby. The works only go on during the day.
In conclusion, staying at The Imperial hotel is a really rewarding experience.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Guggo
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The hotel lives up to its reputation. It was our first time in India, so after flying half-way around the world (from Los Angeles), we wanted something super-comfortable and special awaiting us. The Imperial fit the bill perfectly. It is a step back in time to a more elegant era. If one is going on to Rajasthan, the Imperial definitely "sets the mood".

Great staff. Excellent restaurants. My only very minor gripe was the (too warm) temperature they served their red wines in both the restaurants and the bars. Of course, I quickly realized that India's superb Kingfisher beer was the way to go anyway, so this is a tiny complaint.

We booked a "Heritage" room which seemed a much better value than the standard rooms. After a long flight, having extra room to spread out is a plus.

Bottom line: I would definitely stay at the Imperial on my next visit to New Dehli.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robwash
Reviewed 8 February 2013

A colleague and i stayed here for 1 night on a stopover between flying into India and flying onto Bhubaneswar in Orissa. Given that we were landing after midnight, we asked for an airport pick up and that is where the perfect experience started. We were greeted with our names on a board and a polite and smiling hotel representative greeted us by name, introduced himself and our liveried driver. The car was a Toyota Land Cruiser- air conditioned, comfortable and of course we were served with small bottles of water in case we were thirsty- we were.
Once at the Imperial we were greeted by the smiling and ever courteous staff at the gate; check in was effortless. Our luggage was brought up immediately and we were shown our rooms by a woman member of management staff. My colleague and I were in Eliza rooms. Two corridors are dedicated to rooms reserved soley for single women travellers. There is a CCTV camera in the corridor that beams an image to a small bedside screen so you can see exactly who is outside. These rooms are serviced by women staff unlike the other rooms where service is provided by men. In short everything has been thought out from a woman's safety perspective.

My room was wonderful- probably the size of my sitting room and dining rooom together- with huge comfortable bed, sofa, tables and all amenities. Lovely bathroom.

In the morning after a delicious buffet breakfast in the 1911 room I was turning into my corridor when I was approached by a woman member of housekeeping staff who knew my name and asked me if I required anything.

We stayed on to have a simple but delicious lunch of dhosa on the terrace before leaving for the airport.

On the return journey back to the Uk we returned to the Imperial for dinner. A lovely meal where we ordered starters and a main course but were served an amuse bouche, starter, sorbet, main course and a tiny glass of a rich chocolate mousse. A perfect end to a very productive businss trip.

Room Tip: They are all wonderful. The decor and art works in The imperial are what you need to look at , not t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business