“Beautiful Hotel with extraordinary service”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #14 of 779 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed at The Imperial over the holidays and had a wonderful experience.

The experience started long before my arrival, earlier that fall with an e-mail exchange with a concierge at the hotel, Mr. Albert John. I e-mailed the hotel about a stay at the hotel and also help with planning an itinerary for a visit to Rajasthan. I received a prompt reply from Mr. Albert John with some helpful information as well as some thoughtful questions.

Mr. Albert gave me a few itinerary options in terms of cities to visit and routes. I chose one and Mr. Albert helped me every step of the way, arranging hotels, a wonderful driver named Mr. Ashok, activities and guides in each of the cities we visited, and even a camel safari. I am very detail-oriented person and contacted Mr. Albert on a very regular basis leading up to the trip. I called and e-mailed A LOT and Mr. Albert was always happy to help and was extremely patient with all of my questions. He even made himself available on his mobile phone during off hours, going above and beyond any expectations.

Our driver, Mr. Ashok was an expert driver along with being very kind and knowledgeable.

We arrived in Delhi quite late on a Friday evening and Mr. Albert went out of this way to stay for our 11pm arrival and greet us at the hotel. The hotel itself was beautiful and has a rich history. The staff made themselves available at all times and were always there with help.

The restaurants at The Imperial were delicious. On our first evening, we dined at Daniell, which had delicious, traditional Indian cuisine. On another evening we dined at Spice Route, which is a truly beautiful space with some wonderfully inventive dishes and drinks. The host at the restaurant was very welcoming and helpful.

We visited the spa for a massage the night after our arrival and the experience was fantastic. The massage was a perfect cure for our 12 hour flight and the spa itself was beautifully designed.

The staff at The Imperial were very welcoming and on our return visit from Rajathan, they greeted us with a "welcome home".

Overall my experience at The Imperial was a special one. The Imperial is a beautiful, historic hotel with wonderful service and Mr. Albert John truly went above and beyond in creating a wonderful trip that I will remember forever.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,135)

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Superlatives abound when it comes to describing this wonderful hotel.
You do literally feel like you are stepping into a piece of history and the entire experience doesn't disappoint.So stay here if, like me, preserving that history and the sense of what it must have been like to be in Delhi in the 30's adds another dimension to just another night in a hotel.
No contest, it's a wonderfully restored and beautifully serviced hotel in all respects, but a whole other experience lies in the minute details that have been so thoughtfully considered throughout the labyrinth of the hotel, making it a true piece of history and yet still very contemporary and relevant. The Atrium is an essay in Art Deco with the unexpected addition of modern bright orange cushions; the Verandah is everything you expect of a Club Terrace with the vivid addition of peacock blue columns and, amongst the thousands of pictures throughout the hotel, take the time to see the stories told in the nooks, crannies and stairwells... and so it goes on... the orange glassware in the 1911 restaurant, the crest embroidered napkins and duvet covers and the pink towels and Fragonard lotions and potions in the single lady travelers rooms.
The Imperial is a treat and a pleasure and not to be missed. It's a destination within Delhi in its own right...take the time to soak it in.

Room Tip: Delhi in January can be bleak and cold - don't hesitate to as for a portable heater to top up th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lucy u
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hotel is well located in central New Delhi. The interior is beautiful with lots of prints and paintings from colonial India. It has many excellent restaurants on site so you don't have to go out at night to eat. The rooms are large and comfortable. I used the health club and my wife used the spa. Both are high standard. We found the service to be good. The hotel held an outdoor reception on Jan. 13 for the Lori festival and invited all the guests. They had a bonfire, music, dancing, and good food. After a tiring day in Dehli sight seeing or shopping, it is nice to come back to a clean hotel for a good dinner and rest. I met the hotel manager in the pastry shop and had a nice chat.
It is true that pedestrian access is limited now because they are constructing a metro line on the street in front of the hotel. However, I walked around the construction and got a feel for the neighborhood without any problem.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FredGus
Reviewed 17 January 2014

A beautiful hotel in a great location. Lovely gardens but disappointing pool. All the food was good and service as expected. The big suite was grand and opulant. I love the art deco style. Helpful concierge desk.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed her many times and although not the best hotel for service i still like to stay here for the atmosphere. The pool area is small but perfectly formed, and the food and drinks have always been good quality.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel for couple of nights and the rooms are the biggest among all hotels we stayed in India. Service is impeccable and so is food and the whole experience. It is a really good deal for the money. We stayed at other hotels in Udaipur and Jaipur in the same price range but the value is just not there……

The only note I have to make is that if you order airport transportation from the hotel you must be aware that the office that handles this matter is called the IT team, which is odd, you would think that your email go straight to the reception desk….anyway, they only work during the business hours, so we had issues twice with airport pick up, first I was left in the airport alone for an hour until I managed to call the hotel, and let me tell you you don't want to be a single woman outside the New Delhi Airport, I saw duple of other European tourists freaked out and one was crying when their driver was not there……and when my boyfriend came the same day, he was in the airport for ever and finally he saw the driver sitting at the cafe at the arrival terminal. That is not acceptable especially when you pay 10 times more for the airport transfer compared to the official prepaid taxi. I asked the hotel not to charge for such poor service and they accepted, but at the end of the day, knowing the dangers of single women taking taxi form the airport, the hotel should really address this issue, there is no excuse….They looked into it and said the the IT department closes at 5 or 6 pm and they never read my email when I told them the correct flight info as I rebooked the flight, hmm, well, when you send and email to a hotel and is out of the business hours you would get an automatic response so at least you know no one has received your email, but for such a big hotel, it is unacceptable because they have 24 h reception staff, they should be responsible of handling that….

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bella134
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The Imperial is a very grand hotel and well located just off Connaught Place. There are several restaurants and the two we dined in were very good. The disappointing aspect is the pedestrian access. You have to scramble thru roadworks and then unfriendly security staff to get into the hotel proper. For a top hotel, the entrance and access is very disappointing. The service is good but again not exceptional. Overall it is very good but just needs a little more polish to be exceptional

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple