“Disappointed, after all the buildup!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #8 of 705 Hotels in New Delhi
The Berkshires
“Disappointed, after all the buildup!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

So many of our friends have raved about The Imperial Hotel in New Delhi ,that we just HAD to include it on our three and a half week grand tour of India this month, and I must say I had mixed feelings about our stay
.After so many glorious arrivals, of rose petals, blessings,and fresh squeezed juices (including at the JW Marriot at the New Delhi Airport) our arrival went unnoticed.
After we checked into our small, standard double room (everywhere else in India we had the finest accommodations, so I am not sure why this was so ordinary, with rumpled drapes and claustrophobic space.. as my travel agent had booked a premium room)
We walked in exhausted, and I was struck by the overpowering smell of bug repellent,although slightly disguised as Jasmine oil…. I found the diffuser next to my bed and actually stuck my finger in it to make sure it wasn't just an aromatic oil… it wasn't! I then went into the bathroom ran a deep tub and looked up to see a big black ring of mold circling the tub (granted someone wouldn't have noticed this ,just cleaning it … you had to get IN the tub) along with a stray hair or two…. okay ..fine… the good news is, I picked up the phone and complained and within minutes three men were airing out my room, removing the bug repellent and recaulking the Tub!!!
Kudos to the great service!!!!
Unlike the previous reviewer, however , no attempt was made to upgrade our room, and frankly we were too tired to even think about that. So the rest of the two night visit went fairly smoothly, other than complete and utter chaos trying to book a spa session (system was down) or to call the front desk from our room (phone was dead)… Under the category of "things are actually getting funny!" I opened the minibar to discover someone had taken a swig out of one of the bottles of vodka and replaced it on the shelf. Reporting that little moment involved a beautiful dressed Sikh "inspector" who came with a large magnifying glass to examine the evidence. Back to the lobby, I realized the diffusers that theoretically smell like Jasmine to some , bug repellant to others ,are every ten or fifteen feet over the entire hotel…. thinking about this smell overkill, I went and sat by the gorgeous ,huge pool to take a great swim in the warm water and sitting by the edge, ordering my lunch was struck by the noxious odors wafting over the fence (see previous reviewers similar comment)…. hence probably the impulse to fill the hotel with diffusers.
Overall, I am still glad I stayed at The Imperial, certainly anyone who is "anyone" still stays there,as evidenced by the Chanel suits at breakfast and the glamorous people I sighted at the delicious dinner we had at "Spice" (the in house thai restaurant). However , when we wandered into the bar/casual restaurant , my nose once more kicked into overdrive with the mold smell this time, and my husband proclaimed it "creepy"….. so over all a mixed review… I mean it is the "Grande Dame "of New Delhi hotels, so you probably need to stay there at least once, but for these two tired travelers at the end of three and a half weeks of FABULOUS Indian palaces and exceptional properties, we found it disappointing.

Room Tip: Wouldn't know… I didn't get one!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HSDTheBerkshires
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014

Greetings from the Imperial!

Even though you have appreciated our property, facilities and service, I have noted your dissatisfying experience in the room and by the pool. Please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. I completely empathize with you in this situation and understand your state of mind after a tiring tour of India.
With regards to the miniature bottle of vodka, I would like to clarify that in the mini bar some spirit had evaporated from the sealed miniature of vodka, Hence as per the procedure it was replaced by a new one. I would like to assure you that we at The Imperial take pride in our service standards and product and leave no stone unturned to ensure that our guests have a wonderful stay experience.
We have taken your feedback with the seriousness it deserves and we do hope for a chance to be able to make up for the entire experience.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies. We do look forward to welcoming you back again.

Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed at the Imperial for 3 nights and enjoyed it very much; the Hotel is centrally located in a very nice area of New Delhi, a short walk from shops at Connaught Place, local market and the India Gate.
Our check in was quick and smooth, but when we got to our room we realized that it had an adjoining door and we could hear the TV in the room next door. We quickly went back to the reception and as we stood waiting to speak to the person that checked us in, we were approached by Mr. Rohit Bhandari (Sr Duty Manager) that was standing in the Lobby and came to ask us if there was anything he could do to help us. We were quite surprised by his sharpness noticing that we did have a problem and his wiliness to help us. When we explained what happened he was quick to assure us that he would solve this matter, and he did! Very quickly he arranged to personally take us to see another room; it was an Art Deco Suite in the Art Deco wing of the hotel.
The suite had marble flooring and was tastefully decorated in Art Deco style; it had a separate living area, dressing room area, additional WC and a very nice bathroom with a glass window by the bath overlooking the bedroom area. The rain shower was powerful, the air conditioning system very effective and the room was kept spotless throughout our stay. The bed was extremely comfortable with high quality soft sheets; the towels were fluffy and smelled very good. We can’t fault the efficiency of the house keeping team, always ready to fulfil our needs. We also found that the laundry prices were very reasonable and their service was always top notch.
Noticing our interest in Art Deco design and appreciation of the art pieces spread around this hotel, Mr Bhandari also arranged for us to have a private tour around the hotel with a member of staff telling us about the history behind this magnificent building. We were very pleased with the service and attention that Mr. Bhandari dedicated to us.
We found that the breakfast buffet was very good and offered a wide choice including gluten free pastries, the service was also impeccable and efficient. The restaurants in the hotel catered well for both Western/European and Asian cuisine; vegetarians and people who are intolerant to spicy food won’t have any trouble finding something delicious to eat in this hotel. If you have a sweet tooth you will certainly enjoy “La Baguette” a Patisserie serving superb fresh cakes and much more...
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, as the service provided is second to none. Even more if you appreciate art, as this building is loaded with wonderful pieces, you will find everywhere throughout the corridors and rooms!

Room Tip: The Art Deco Suites are a must!

Greetings from the Imperial!

I am grateful for your wonderful review about the Imperial and your kind words of appreciation for our team member Rohit. I am also glad that you had a pleasant stay and appreciated the décor, food, service and staff. Your positive feedback is a source of great motivation for the team.
We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back home.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Sir,
This was the first visit for me and my wife to your country, I had heard
a lot about your country's hospitality but was really
very impressed with the way we were welcomed at the imperial
inspite of a busy crowded atmosphere at the time of checking
in the hotel.We were acknowledged and
welcomed with a very cute smile by the associate
"Samarth"who was dealing with the welcome of all
the guests at the desk.The Gesture of your hotel
of using my country's language made me feel really at
home,the enthusiasm and the pride the boy showed
in explaining the facilities of the hotel and suggesting
places of interest near the hotel was very

I had never checked in in any hotel in the world with that speed,
I really miss the stay i had at your hotel,
The Breakfast Place was marvellous , I enjoyed the morning
breakfast besides the garden a lot,
The service by "Arun" the server was
quick,Samarth had offered me the best view room available in the hotel,
that was a pool view room.I
wish to come back soon to see more of your hotel
I would like to congratulate you with the complement that your
hotel was the best hotel i have ever visited in my life
Regards
Ulrich & Ruth Stritzke

Room Tip: The pool view rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful & elaborate review. I am grateful for your appreciation and happy to know that you had a pleasant stay. We at the Imperial strive to make all our guests’ stay smooth & memorable and I am glad that we succeeded in our effort. Your positive feedback is a source of great motivation for the team.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We always stay here when we go to Delhi...for us the hotel is one the best in the world. The building is deco and full of prints and artworks..... all along the grand corridors. The rooms are large comfortable and well serviced, the gardens and the tall palms are impressive and the spa treatments are fabulous ...makes it hard to get a massage anywhere else now!. The breakfasts are the best I have ever had and the restaurants are everything you could wish for but most of all it is the staff that make this place somewhere you want to return to...particularly Karpil on the front desk and the waiters and managers at breakfast...Charles Anoop Balwant and Sabir in room service to name just a few! They are the most friendly and efficient team on the planet and make us feel hugely welcome.

Room Tip: any room will be fine...we ask for a heritage room (slightly more expensive) with a garden view...bu...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am grateful for your appreciation for our property, staff & service. We at the Imperial strive to make all our guests’ stay smooth & memorable and I am glad that we succeeded in our effort. Your positive feedback is a source of great motivation for the team.

north london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We have stayed at this property three times before and it maintains a very high standard in its rooms and in most public areas. Breakfasts are excellent with a wide variety of produce on offer .We ate in the Italian one evening and in Spice Route the second. The spa was very good.
On our last afternoon we spent a little time at the pool. Not good, noxious smells and poorly attired and unhelpful staff,

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from the Imperial!

I am grateful for your appreciation of the property and its facilities. We at the Imperial strive to make all our guests’ stay smooth & memorable and I am glad that you had a pleasant stay.
I have noted your disappointment with the pool area and would like to extend my apologies for the inconvenience. I assure you that I have taken this up with the concerned department and have taken steps to ensure that the area reflects the Imperial standards at all times.

Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Imperial Hotel, New Delhi for two nights at the start of our Indian holiday.
We were made to feel very welcome during our stay. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The only slight problem there was no window as the room overlooked a staff yard and the window was blocked. Other than that everything was perfect.
There was an excellent choice for breakfast and we ate in the hotel restaurants for dinner and enjoyed the food and atmosphere very much.
We are looking forward eagarly to our next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful comments. I am glad that you had a pleasant stay with us.
Your positive feedback is a source of motivation for the team.

Thank you once again. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

This grand colonial hotel has been extensively renovated to provide first class accommodation in the heart of the city. Service is good and the rooms are of a high standard. My only gripe is that a great deal of the old colonial character of the hotel has been lost.

1 Thank Brad_Lizzie
Dear Guest,

Your positive feedback is a source of motivation for the team.